Thread: Sport Steering Wheel

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr

Sport Steering Wheel

Hi - new owner here - I used search function first, but could not find answer, so.... sorry up front if it is out there somewhere.

I have the large 4 spoke steering wheel, and read that switching over to the 3 spoke sport steering wheel is an easy swap.

My question: is the diameter of the sport steering wheel smaller than the one I already have? I'm assuming it is.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! If possible, please post a photo of the wheel that you have. I know that the sport wheels are thicker, but not sure if the circumference differs.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    I believe you're going from a single stage airbag to a dual stage airbag in making that swap. Complicates things but it can be done.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr
    Car is in transit - here is a pic I found - looks same as 3 series wheel with no buttons

https://*******/images/rRdB6H

The sport wheel from that same time has single stage airbag also I thought
    Last edited by bring; 07-13-2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: link didn’t work

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    It's true that 3-spoke steering wheels through MY99 have a single-stage airbag, same as the 4-spoke.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr
    This is what I have - https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-Z3-...sid=m570.l1313

This is what I am wondering if it is smaller - https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Brand-O...sid=m570.l1313

Feels pricey

My Cars
    1997 z3 2.8
    I researched this for a while and the wheel you link to and call sport is not smaller, same diameter. The only OEM wheel that is smaller diameter is this one, but not by much, I believe 10 or 15mm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-SPORT...ing+wheel.TRS0

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr
    Thank you for doing that - I really appreciate it.

Since my OP, I have been doing more searches and have gotten similar results. The wheel in your pic actually has function buttons, so not even sure that would be an option for me.

What I have found is not good. The airbag complicates (and makes very expensive) the proper swap. Most 3 spoke sport steering wheels available for sale are minus the airbag. If you want an airbag for it, you prob have to import it for a pretty penny.

All signs point to me keeping the wheel I have, unless I want to waste $ on something not very different.

My Cars
    z3
    The "pancake" wheel pictured above with multifunction buttons is available without those buttons as a standard option for Z3's (in fact MOST Z3's got that wheel). There are single and dual stage airbag versions of that wheel thus making it completely plug and play.

The multifunction buttons can also pretty easily be retrofitted

Also, airbags dont complicate things that much if you just get the same airbag type you have and buy the wheel with the airbag... Just know if yours is single or dual stage and buy one that matches that

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The "pancake" wheel pictured above with multifunction buttons is available without those buttons as a standard option for Z3's (in fact MOST Z3's got that wheel). There are single and dual stage airbag versions of that wheel thus making it completely plug and play.

The multifunction buttons can also pretty easily be retrofitted

Also, airbags dont complicate things that much if you just get the same airbag type you have and buy the wheel with the airbag... Just know if yours is single or dual stage and buy one that matches that
    Yes, the issue is there aren’t too many out there for sale as one piece, and if you can find one, it won’t be cheap.

If the diameter is the same, what’s the point?

My Cars
    z3
    As mentioned, the pancake wheel is slightly smaller. The 4 spoke and the other 3 spoke you linked earlier are bigger.

The 3 spokes are pretty cheap to find if you find someone parting out a car with one. Looks like you were looking up refurbished wheels before, which are obviously going to cost a lot more. Few used 3 spokes on ebay around $200 and even that is a little higher than recent market value... seen a few go for <$150 with airbags over the past couple years.

I'm not sure if Z3/E36's were directly affected by the Takata recall (my cars never got a notice at least) but the liabilities associated with that are probably a good part of why you cant find as many with airbags for sale on public places. Probably better off asking someone parting a car out for a complete wheel

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr
    Good point on Takata - my ‘01 3-series had the same wheel and was affected, so this one probably is too.

Do all pancake wheels come with the M badge at 6:00?

My Cars
    z3
    Yes all the pancake wheels, as with most "sport" wheels, have the M badge at the bottom spoke.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '98 Z3 1.9 Rdstr
    Thanks for your help - just found one with airbag for $180 on eBay