Thread: Call me crazy?

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL

Call me crazy?

I have in my possession a 735il, I originally bought it for parts, though I have had it sitting around for a couple of years now due to commitments exceeding my available time and an injury slowing me down.
    I was talking with a friend of a friend that has been into track racing cars for a long time, when I voiced my want to get into track racing,(that seems to get put on the back burner with every new thing that comes up) So my friend (that keeps reminding me that it is still at his place, and what (when!) am I going to do with it) comments that I have a car at his place that has been sitting there a long time, that I couldn't possibly have time or room for another car.

Light bulb moment!💡
    So here's my thought, turn the 735il auto into a 735il manual track car
    my reasoning behind this is that I don't like 'normal' I could go and get an E30 and do the same thing, probably have a faster track car! But, I like a challenge, and to make a big limo go around a track, fast, would be awesome!
    Should I book myself into a padded room?

My Cars
    1994 BMW E32 730i M30
    It depends on your expectations.

If all you want is to drive an E32 as fast as possible / to its limits, just to have fun (as if you are the one in your racing class), then your idea may not be (quite) crazy. But since you are starting with a heavy, long wheel base car, I would say that there's no point in investing much for achieving this goal. Either keep it stock (but in good technical condition), or do some inexpensive, mild upgrades (e.g. brakes, tires, maybe some suspension work and an engine tune). Remember to always fully ignore all the other cars bypassing you.

However, if you want to modify an E32 735iL into a track car which is reasonably competitive, then I believe that's a genuine bad idea - unless all the other cars you are racing against are pre-80ies vehicles.
    You will end-up spending a lot of time and money, for a very predictable outcome: disappointment. I suggest you to use both the time and the money for more successful endeavors.
    --
    1994 E32 730i M30 manual
    ex- 2006 E86 Z4M Coupe
    ex- 1986 E28 535i

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertRO View Post
    It depends on your expectations.

If all you want is to drive an E32 as fast as possible / to its limits, just to have fun (as if you are the one in your racing class), then your idea may not be (quite) crazy.
    (This is what I was thinking)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertRO View Post
    But since you are starting with a heavy, long wheel base car, I would say that there's no point in investing much for achieving this goal. Either keep it stock (but in good technical condition), or do some inexpensive, mild upgrades (e.g. brakes, tires, maybe some suspension work and an engine tune).
    All the suspension needs to be replaced anyway
    Remember to always fully ignore all the other cars bypassing you.
    Yeah, I think that's going to be hard!

However, if you want to modify an E32 735iL into a track car which is reasonably competitive, then I believe that's a genuine bad idea - unless all the other cars you are racing against are pre-80ies vehicles.
    You will end-up spending a lot of time and money, for a very predictable outcome: disappointment. I suggest you to use both the time and the money for more successful endeavors.
    Yeah, had come to that conclusion not long after posting this thread, would still love to do it, but the money invested would be wasted, and would wreak a nice car in the process!
    Thanks for your comments RobertRO

My Cars
    BMW
    Would it be competitive, probably not
    Would it be a riot, 100%
    Be ready to buy tons of brake pads, rotors, and tires; larger cars COOK them pretty quick when you're on the track.

And I love seeing things that "shouldn't" be on the track on the track, I think a long wheel base E32 would rank up pretty high up in the shouldn't be racing but it's awesome.

-James

My Cars
    89 750iL 6 Speed
    Everyone told me to stop making a 7 series fast and i didn't listen. It is 100% worth it. I regularly autocross my 6 speed manual swapped 740i and am competitive....to a point. These cars with a good suspension set up (sway bars, stiff springs+shocks, camber plates, etc) and wide sticky tires do just fine. By today's standards they really aren't that heavy. Of course with less power you will want to do a good lsd gear ratio along with the manual. I autocross with dozens of e30's, subarus, corvettes, etc, and I've done quite well, even placing in the top 5 before. I'm not saying the e32 is a well suited track car but with a decent set up you can certainly have fun and surprise just about everyone. Let me know if you need any info on what is done to my car! 740i.autox.jpg

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Ha, Ive seen your 740 pop up on Kamotors instagram. Love that thing! Only advice Id give the op is if you were going to do an e32 track car ID try to start with a short wheelbase one simply because of the length and weight thing... course the shorty isnt exactly light. I fully intend on tarckin up my manual 735i a bit but if it were the L I think Id just make it a cruiser... all your call though.

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    Would it be competitive, probably not
    Would it be a riot, 100%
    Be ready to buy tons of brake pads, rotors, and tires; larger cars COOK them pretty quick when you're on the track.
    I have a friend that gives me parts at his cost, usually cheaper than trade price😆
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    And I love seeing things that "shouldn't" be on the track on the track, I think a long wheel base E32 would rank up pretty high up in the shouldn't be racing but it's awesome.
    -James
    Me too, but just tossing up wether I wreak a nice car to just have some fun, as it's mainly just the suspension that's tired, I would really like to see someone rebuild her to her former glory.
    But might have to look for a 740i and put a manual box in it

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormotors View Post
    Everyone told me to stop making a 7 series fast and i didn't listen. It is 100% worth it. I regularly autocross my 6 speed manual swapped 740i and am competitive....to a point. These cars with a good suspension set up (sway bars, stiff springs+shocks, camber plates, etc) and wide sticky tires do just fine. By today's standards they really aren't that heavy. Of course with less power you will want to do a good lsd gear ratio along with the manual. I autocross with dozens of e30's, subarus, corvettes, etc, and I've done quite well, even placing in the top 5 before. I'm not saying the e32 is a well suited track car but with a decent set up you can certainly have fun and surprise just about everyone. Let me know if you need any info on what is done to my car! 740i.autox.jpg
    I think that is part of the reason I wanted to do it, I think I saw a post of yours talking about it, (and loved it!)
    If I plan on doing it, I would probably make it a track only car, which means I can strip a lot more weight by keeping only the bare minimum, so no interior, replace window glass with plastic, remove body deadening ect.
    How much more competitive do you think you would be if you stripped your car back it bare minimum?