• z4

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: New here. Need some advice.

My Cars
    Cars

Lightbulb New here. Need some advice.

Hey guys. I'm new here/Located in Toledo OH.

Looking to purchase my first BMW.

I was originally looking for a Miata or an S2000, but I already have a C5 Z06 and don't need another toy. A little bit of class would be nice as well as some comfort for long trips with the lady. Thus, I am here.

I am interested in a convertible. Soft top, hard top, I don't care. It has to have enough room for two people, one average sized male and a small albeit especially sassy woman figure. Trunk space and seat storage is unimportant however would be nice. Interior size is unimportant as long as the chairs can recline enough for sassy lady to take a nap for long trips. NON TURBO. I want an NA motor. Don't care much for any electronic gimmicks in the car. I wouldn't mind nav or whatever but by no means required. Dark colored interior is required.

This car will be a GT car. It will do many miles of cross country driving. Being thrashed and pushed as often as possible. It will see many country roads and long interstate routes. It will be present in autox, a few track days, and other similar events. It will not be garage kept, it WILL be daily driven, and it WILL be properly maintained. Small bodied manual transmission convertibles only.

Budget is ideally 12k. Can stretch but the lower the better. Ideal is ~9-10k.

1. Small Convertible, Black or gray exterior color. Dark interior. NO SILVER OR WHITE.
    2. Manual Transmission
    3. Competent / Fun / Capable
    4. Reliable / NA motor
    5. Sport suspension / brakes. M package if possible.
    6. Interior comfort,
    7. 2005+ only.

So far.

1. 128i:
    -Hard to find in color combo w/ manual transmission.
    -Not sure if it has a sport package???
    -Unique

2. 330:
    -Bigger than I am wanting.
    -Other than that it fits the bill nicely.
    -Easier to find with what I am looking for.

3. Z4:
    -Passenger comfort
    -May need a trunk rack, I am perfectly fine with that.

What am I missing???

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    Lol that's Extremely specific. You realize whatever you get maintence won't exactly be cheap? Your asking for long drives, daily drive, being on the track sometimes, country roads, kept outside, those aren't the best conditions. Sounds like you need an M3 convertible for what your looking for. But obviously that's expensive as hell for your price range, you could get a e46 convertible and you can probably abuse it and still get the performance and probably cheaper .

But since u want something newer I would recommend a 2010 or 2011 e93 335xi. They tweaked it out over the years so it has the least amount of issues and the new N55 engine is extremely reliable. But it's got a turbo, I don't know why u don't want that but you need it if you wanna go fast and this turbo with the N55 is also reliable with virtually no turbo lag. 300 horsepower and 300 ft lb of torque. 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, amazing brakes , good competitor car, plus the sports package is M suspension which is what you want.

I have a 2011 335xi with the premium package, sports package, fully loaded pretty much so I can attest to its reliability and performance. MSRP is 53k for mine but I got it for 15k at 104k miles on it from a shop, it was in an accident so engine was rebuilt, new suspension, brakes, whole 9 yards, otherwise u can get it for like 11k maybe 10k.

So yeah get a 2010-2011 E93 sports package and you'll be good.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    I voted 135 even though you said NA. They're just so much more fun to drive.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    Cars
    Found a black M sport 128 I'm checking out in the morning.

My Cars
    Cars
    Well, turns out it was a 135i with the M sport package and basically every other add on you can get. Stupid low miles, basically a new car. Pulling the trigger.

Very nervously pulling the trigger lol

I've heard next to nothing but horror stories about the n54 but the price was too good to turn down.

My Cars
    z3
    Wanted a N/A GT car
    Bought a turbo around-town car

Nice lol

Id have recommended at least a 3 series convertible if looking for a GT car. Also nothing wrong with the N52 non-turbo engines. Stock for stock I prefer N52 over N54, just my .02 though

My Cars
    Cars
    I think I probably will too to be honest. I picked this up for just as cheap if not cheaper than the 128's in my area. If nothing else I can flip it in the spring or trade it off to a 128.

My Cars
    Cars
    Besides, how much fun would life be if you didn't make dumb decisions every now and then.