Thread: Headlights dipping -

My Cars
    '91 e31

Headlights dipping -

Here's the problem with being around here so long and also with getting older - I've read every thread here and on the old board, so I've seen (almost) every problem posted and resolved - but I can't remember the solution!

In the last couple of months my headlights have been getting a little wonky. When I turn on the lights, they lift to the proper position and then drop about 1/2 way. Sometimes I have to raise the hood and manually raise them into position to drive home at night. Later, when I turn them off they drop - and then raise back up about and inch or two.

Is this a GMII thing? What else should I be looking for?

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    What at kind of shape are your headlight shocks in? If they have never been replaced I would suggest they be one of the places to start.

Quote Originally Posted by rockytt View Post
    Here's the problem with being around here so long and also with getting older - I've read every thread here and on the old board, so I've seen (almost) every problem posted and resolved - but I can't remember the solution!

In the last couple of months my headlights have been getting a little wonky. When I turn on the lights, they lift to the proper position and then drop about 1/2 way. Sometimes I have to raise the hood and manually raise them into position to drive home at night. Later, when I turn them off they drop - and then raise back up about and inch or two.

Is this a GMII thing? What else should I be looking for?
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    91 850i x2, 92 850i 6sp
    Sound like it could be a headlight relay in the fuse box problem. The rely switch gets some hairline cracks in the base connection the need to be resoldered.

My Cars
    '91 e31
    What at kind of shape are your headlight shocks in?
    I changed them out about 5 years ago - so I'm hoping that's not it.

Sound like it could be a headlight relay in the fuse box problem. The relay switch gets some hairline cracks in the base connection the need to be re-soldered.
    Well that doesn't sound fun
    So this isn't a matter of just replacing a relay, but fixing the fuse box? (fun...)

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Lkm...
    '93 850Ci - Mineralwei゚ Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinwei゚ III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Sounds like, as has already been said, K39, it can be replaced or repaired (they are not cheap from BMW):

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/Timms_...lay_Finder.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    91 850i x2, 92 850i 6sp
    Easy repair for me and I know nothing about soldering either, just bought a cheap soldering station online and had at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just take the k39 relay out, open the plastic coverand inspect the connection very closely as they are hard to spot.

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I guess I can take a whack at k39 - worst case, I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one -

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    With bad shocks, they still stay up fine as there is a hinge on the opposite side. I vote relay based on a historical reading of this forum.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    Alpina B9 Trib, '91 850i
    Good morning. My headlights are sometimes not coming up, sometimes only 1 side, etc. Could someone point to me where I could source the K39 relay recommended above in the hopes it’s a simple swap? Dealer? Part no.?

Thanks!

My Cars
    91 850i x2, 92 850i 6sp
    https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/Timms_...lay_Finder.htm

also just solder those connection up super easy no need to buy a new one.

My Cars
    Alpina B9 Trib, '91 850i
    So the only source to get a relay is in the UK which would realistically take weeks to arrive? Does anyone have a part no. for this relay in case a dealership stateside may have one available?

My Cars
    '91 e31
    There are a few on the 'bay too
    (and that was kind of big jump to "
    the only source to get a relay is in the UK which would realistically take weeks to arrive")

My Cars
    Alpina B9 Trib, '91 850i
    I surmised that was the case as it was the only reply received on where to get it. Just went on eBay and got nothing. Please pm if you have/find one and many thanks!

My Cars
    '91 e31
    I just entered "61351392413" in the search bar and got 3 results. (2 are from the same company, and one is from Latvia - but the one for 89.99 should work fine)

My Cars
    91 850i x2, 92 850i 6sp
    Find someone to solder yours, or you could just send me your and I’ll do it for you. Super easy fix.

My Cars
    Alpina B9 Trib, '91 850i
    Pniell316 - that is as genuinely nice an offer to help and I知 so very humbled by your generosity.

My relay looks fine - there is nothing physically wrong with it, so I知 afraid that soldering wouldn稚 be the cure? I値l be the first to admit that I知 not mechanically inclined, although can clearly recognize something that has broken...

I知 still dealing with the intermittent headlight buckets not coming up or down as they should. The sole replacement relay on eBay obviously comes from another used (and 25+ years old) e31. Should I just pull the trigger on that one which hopefully will last me a while or? Sorry for harping on this thread as much but it痴 become annoying when they won稚 work as intended!

My Cars
    91 850i x2, 92 850i 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by OttoB View Post
    Pniell316 - that is as genuinely nice an offer to help and I’m so very humbled by your generosity.

My relay looks fine - there is nothing physically wrong with it, so I’m afraid that soldering wouldn’t be the cure? I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not mechanically inclined, although can clearly recognize something that has broken...

I’m still dealing with the intermittent headlight buckets not coming up or down as they should. The sole replacement relay on eBay obviously comes from another used (and 25+ years old) e31. Should I just pull the trigger on that one which hopefully will last me a while or? Sorry for harping on this thread as much but it’s become annoying when they won’t work as intended!
    It could still be the relay, those cracks are hairline and really hard to see sometimes. If you do end up buying a new relay, feel free to still send me the old relay and I can see if I can fix that one for you and then you’ll have a spare in case the new on goes one day.

My Cars
    Alpina B9 Trib, '91 850i
    I believe that the one(s) on eBay are also used... it should not matter then if it appears that no cracks are present if I buy it? I知 somewhat reluctant because of a possible no return policy on a used electrical item.

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    I have 5 spare 413 relays that have all been opened, inspected, resoldered and tested in my own 91 E31. Would be happy to seel you one, Contact me by PM or at: wuffer at shaw dot ca
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840Ci
    OttoB- open hood, start car, you can hold down k39 relay and reach headlight switch at same time, while applying a little pressure to the relay turn on lights. If both lights operate properly you know it’s cracks in the solder joints on the base of the relay. If they still fail you don’t know anything new...could still be solder joints but cracks that downward pressure didn’t push back together. If you can prove it’s the solder joints it may make you feel better when you try to fix or get one from Wuffer.