Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z3 Subwoofer v.3 is installed.........

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa

Z3 Subwoofer v.3 is installed.........

Ok, for those that didn't see it, Subwoofer v.1 was a pair of Elemental Designs 7kv.2s as shown below. I liked it, but I felt it didn't really reach down as low as I would like and I wanted something a little more musical.

So, after much discussion with board members about sub selection, I settled on an Image Dynamics ID8 v.3 8" sub and built a new enclosure lid for it.

Sub v.2 was a .35 cu. ft. sealed enclosure and it sounded superb. I would say it was a huge upgrade from the previous setup. Tight, clear bass with much better lower end extention and really nice transient response.

Normally, I prefer the SQ of a sealed enclosure but, considering the fact that this is a roadster and you lose at least 6db of cabin gain as soon as the top goes down, I decided to try v.3 and go ported. So after a little re-working and adding finish cloth here is the result:

I have to say that I absolutely LOVE it! Yes, I'm losing a little bit of transient response but porting it really brought up the 50hz-30hz range and it makes a HUGE difference with the top down.

The ported version uses a .6 cu. ft. enclosure and I went with a fairly small, short port. I was concerned about port noise but if there is any the system masks it. I don't know if you can tell, but the port is a press-fit port and I cracked the lip when I was installing it so I'm going to replace it. Also, the two holes you see on each end are for the mounting screws and I have some nearly flush, plastic hole plugs to finish that off. I'm going to leave those off until I've replaced the port. The fabric is actually some black speaker grill cloth that I had left over from the previous install. It looks good, but I think I may try to find matching beige cloth or leather. We'll see.

The ID8 is really a fantastic sub for the price. I couldn't be happier with it. It is an SQ sub with good power as well. All in all I'd have to say .
    Last edited by OUSHark; 04-28-2008 at 05:24 PM.
    1997 Z3 2.8L Montreal Blue/Beige Ext. Leather.
    Hybrid Legatia L6 - Arc Audio 4150 XXK,
    Hybrid Legatia L1 Pro - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Image Dynamics ID8 - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0, '11 X3 28i
    That looks pretty sweet - nice work man

My Cars
    1998 Honda Civic Si
    Is that old setup for sale?
    Robert

98 Silver Z3 Roadster 2.8 (6/07-3/09)
    Currently Bimmerless :/

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I like the looks of this. Question: did you seal off the inside of the "enclosure"? If so, how?

Why be stock?

www.the-mod-squad.org

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    Nice work on all.

Totally agree that with the top down, there is a huge loss in volume. When I use my roadster (with top down) as the music provider for outdoor parties, I put the volume of my Blau h/u at position "55" which is really loud and when I sit in the cabin, it's quite deafening. When driving top down last night, I noticed that to hear my music, I raised the volume to "58". This 3-step increase is quite huge and it sounded "just right". Not good for the ears, I'll probably stop listening to music when the top is down. The car itself makes a pretty good sound anyway.

Current Fleet: '93 BMW 325i, '01 BMW Z3 3.0 Coupe, '99 Porsche 996 Cabriolet, '05 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, '06 Land Rover LR3, '06 Lexus GS300, '97 MB E320
    Sold: '97 BMW Z3 1.9 DASC, '91 BMW 735i, '01 BMW X5, '87 BMW 528e (my 1st BMW), '05 Jeep Wranger Unlimited (LJ)

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeCubed View Post
    I like the looks of this. Question: did you seal off the inside of the "enclosure"? If so, how?
    Yes. Lots of Dynamat and sealant. I removed the entire console, lined it with several layers of Dynamat, reinstalled it and then went to work with a sealant.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Quote Originally Posted by rordway1 View Post
    Is that old setup for sale?
    Sorry, I already have plans for the subs in another vehicle and the top frame got somewhat butchered doing tests.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3 Hellrot
    Make me a mold ill pay you! PLEASE.

My Cars
    1998 Honda Civic Si
    I second that!
    Robert

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Trust me, once I have fully developed this it will be for sale. It's just not there yet.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    1998 Honda Civic Si
    quit your day job and get on it
    Robert

My Cars
    A soulless IS250
    Question: I know you can hear it, but can you feel it? The reason I ask is because I have a 10" sub in the trunk with a custom box that I built and am running about 300 watts to it. It sounds pretty great, looks great and feels great but if I can build a sub enclosure like yours with a 8" sub, it would be nice to get a little bit of my trunk back.
    protip: If you're reading the post above, it's probably a joke.

My Cars
    1998 Honda Civic Si
    I still want an 8" W6....spent too many days in high school installing stereos.
    Robert

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Any updates on this?

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by OUSHark View Post
    Trust me, once I have fully developed this it will be for sale. It's just not there yet.
    Well, are you selling them yet? I'm interested.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Steel Gray/Black
    Looks like you have several sale opportunities. I don't know if you would be willing to share the information but if you used dimensions to create the top, I would love to have them hoping for detailed ones more than HxWxD. I've torn apart my brain reading about the different ways to get some bass in my roadster. I can't afford much at all and so was considering making my own fitment for an 8 inch sub. I would most likely make the top out of wood and "dynomat" the rest of the space under the sub for an enclosure due to my budget. The biggest reason dimensions would help me is because i can't figure out how the top would mount to the car. If I were you, I'd start making these enclosures and selling them. The outrageouos cost of the buyable alternatives would allow you to take a good amount of business and make a great deal of profit. That is, if you like building these enclosures.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Honestly, I haven't had time to work on it. For the top, I just removed the existing cover and traced it on two pieces of MDF. I traced the proper circles on each one and then made the back of the cover large enough to hold the circles. I cut the holes and the glued the MDF blanks together. I then pulled out the trusty random orbit sander and went to town shaping. Sorry, I don't really have a drawing or anything.

The top is actually mounted with recessed screws to the HK sub mounting brackets and then I used plastic hole plugs from Lowe's to cover the holes.

I enjoy making them, but the time involved makes it unprofitable unless they can be mass produced. Also, once the top was made it took a BUNCH of tweaking to get the install right. That's not something that would go over well with a marketed product. After much testing I've actually gone back and pluged the port and added a few blocks of wood in the enclosure to reduce the volume for a sealed enclosure (about .35 cu. ft.).

Now, as I said before I have some ideas on how to improve the design and turn it into a true enclosure. I just haven't had time to actually do it.

As far as whether or not you can feel it? Yes, you can. Part of that is good and part bad. You can feel the power of the sub, but you can also feel the vibration through the console and into your seat. That makes the sub easy to localize so that it feels like the base is comming from behind you rather than being non-directional. I've tried isolating it from the console, but then the mounting is so soft that you lose power.

So right now there are several issues that keep this from being something I feel comfortable selling. Hopefully I'll get some time to work on some other ideas, but It's not in sight yet.
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    Thanks for responding OUSHark. I understand about the time and effort being the killer of the project.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    This is sweeeeet!!

Just to make sure I understand, your using the console itself as the enclosure (nothing placed inside like the plastic HK)?

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    I have a tan rear console (w/o oddments cover) from my 1997 left over after my roll hoop retrofit. It originally enclosed a Nokia sub. I 'll give it to anyone who wants a practice console or one to make any molds with. Just cover my shipping cost.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    '01 330Ci ; others
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    I have a tan rear console (w/o oddments cover) from my 1997 left over after my roll hoop retrofit. It originally enclosed a Nokia sub. I 'll give it to anyone who wants a practice console or one to make any molds with. Just cover my shipping cost.
    I'm not working on a subwoofer project, but my car's cover is warped. If no one else jumps on this, I'd like your cover. If you have any other parts you'd like to get rid of, let me know and we can probably make a deal. My zip code is 28358.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Quote Originally Posted by kr3678 View Post
    I'm not working on a subwoofer project, but my car's cover is warped. If no one else jumps on this, I'd like your cover. If you have any other parts you'd like to get rid of, let me know and we can probably make a deal. My zip code is 28358.
    I don't mean to jack this thread, but kr3678, you don't have enough posts for PM's. Unfortunately the hinged cover has already been sold. I only have the body of the console left. Let me know if you need any other pieces. I also have the seat belt towers that are pre-drilled for the windscreen

Last edited by KBH22102; 10-18-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    '01 330Ci ; others
    I would have PM'd if that feature was available to me. Rather than take this further off-topic, you can email me at rowleykk@hotmail.com and we can discuss.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster

volume/space for subwoofer too small - need help.

Hi - I just came across your nice speaker design here. I am trying to do the same thing, but am stuck. I have a 2001 Z3. Problem is, the largest volume I can make for a sub is 0.18 cubic feet. I build a paper model to test. You mentioned your sub V.3 was a .35 cu Ft sealed enclosure.

I've used an 'L' shape box and used up all the space I can see.

How did you manage to get .35 cu feet? If I can solve this, I think I can build the sub.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    that looks REALLY good...

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast