Thread: Tried to bump old thread but did not bump: 10mm bolt on from of AC compressor

My Cars
    X5, R90/6

Tried to bump old thread but did not bump: 10mm bolt on front of AC compressor

Is it normal for that bolt to spin freely? Everywhere I see says to undo the four bolts holding the compressor to the motor/mounting bracket and then drop it down a bit to access the 10mm bolt on the front. Well I did all that except the bolt spins freely with the clutch assembly. Anyone have any good ideas to keep the clutch assembly solid so I can loosen that 10mm bolt?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 1215; 07-12-2018 at 07:37 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    It's stripped my friend. Try applying a pulling force when trying to spin it. Maybe pull and twist with pliers.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    No! It is not stripped. The clutch assembly is spinning with the 10mm bolt. Is there a BMW special spanner tool to hold the clutch so the 10mm bolt can be loosened? Do I need to make a custom tool? The 10mm bolt is not stripped.

If you are saying something else is stripped, what would that be?

Explained differently, think about trying to take off a crank front main bolt. The one that drives the serpentine belt(s). It's on there with (something big... maybe 200# torque). Try to loosen that and the whole motor spins so you put a pin/teeth in the flywheel or wherever the manufacturer says so you can loosen it. That's what's going on here. I need to lock up the compressor motor so I can loosen the 10mm bolt except there isn't anywhere to do that. I'm about ready to weld something onto the clutch assembly so I can get some leverage on it.

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2003 325ci
    A 3/8 air impact gun should take it right loose. You can hold the clutch face and squeeze the trigger. It should come right loose.

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2003 325ci
    If you don't have access to air tools then get a pair of very large pair of channellocks (16-20 inch) and grab the outer edge and break it loose. The bolt is not very tight.

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    Maybe I'll try that. Thanks.

It looks like this:

https://mdhmotors.com/wp-content/upl...lutch-Coil.jpg

There is nothing really to grab or clamp it with and no holes to put a spanner wrench into.

I was hoping to be able to do something like this:

https://drivinglife-4b19.kxcdn.com/w...016/08/4-1.jpg

but there doesn't seem to be a good place to do that. I'll try a small impact ratchet and see what happens. Worst case I'll make up something or clean up with wire brush and tack weld a steel plate to the clutch. Was hoping for something easy. Getting an impact ratchet up in there may not be possible with how tight it is. Really don't want to mess with purging the system if at all possible.

Thanks.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Have you tried engaging the clutch by turning the ac on?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2006 330ic, 2 e36 before
    I believe a strap wrench is what I used to hold the pulley. Also, I have another cerclip if yours is not serviceable.
    1998 328ic

My Cars
    X5, R90/6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike318 View Post
    I believe a strap wrench is what I used to hold the pulley. Also, I have another cerclip if yours is not serviceable.
    That was the issue with mine. The circlip had snapped in two. I'm trying to find a source for parts. These Denso 10PA compressors (mine is 10PA17C) were in all kinds of vehicles: Porsche, Land Rover, VW, Audi, Skoda (and BMW). I think also some Toyota, Lexus, Kia and Nissan as well as other equipment like John Deere. The bearing is easy to find/replace but can't find a decent (meaning Denso OEM but not BMW prices) parts supplier. One must exist given how many applications/vehicles this compressor was used in.