RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Torque Wrench Recommendations?

My Cars
    1999 Mercedes CLK

Torque Wrench Recommendations?

Do you know the best value for money torque wrench in stores today? I need a reliable wrench that is up to the job but is within a reasonable price range. I know that a Snap-on digital torque wrench is the best but I can’t really justify the $500 price tag. Also, for that kind of money I would want more than the 2 year warranty that they come with. I don’t do engine rebuilds everyday so there is no way I can spend that much.

The problem is that I’m sick of unreliable harbor freight torque wrenches. I’ve used a few now and find that in no time they stop clicking reliably or don’t click at all. I’ve found that, with a setting of 25, I feel like I’m pushing at least 50ft/lbs. It’s frustrating. I need a better wrench that is durable and won’t break after such a short time. I like the idea of getting a digital torque wrench as then I can see exactly the pressure I’m applying.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I own two SnapOn torque-angle wrenches, a 3/8" drive and a 1/2" drive. Yes, they cost me over $500 each, but I do this for a living. These wrenches live in their boxes the vast majority of the time, and only venture out when I'm needing to be precise. Most bolts, I tighten by feel alone.

That said, every single wheel bolt gets hand-torqued: With my SnapOn split beam 1/2 drive torque wrench. The split beam is great, because you don't have to wind it down, after each use. I have it calibrated, every couple of years, but it's very reliable for maintaining its calibration.

For every-day, "heavy duty" use, I can't think of a better tool.

Personally, I think it's wise to have a 3/8" drive, and a 1/2" drive, and do everything that requires over ~100 Nm with the half-drive.

If you have to contend with torque-angles, I have to advise that you own a torque angle digital tool. Once you've used one, doing something like con-rod bearings, with an engine hanging over your head, and limited turning circles, you will swear by that tool forever.

Since you live in Poland, maybe you'll find Facom more easily than SnapOn?

Like you, I'm not a fan of the "wind-up" round handled torque wrenches, whether Harbor Freight or Craftsman, or ...?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    My HF torque wrenches have been durable and reliable. You can check torque using a $50 torque tester like this:

https://www.eastwood.com/electronic-...iABEgKv7vD_BwE

I also have a set of Precision Industries torque wrenches. They are about $125 each and are good quality.u

I am just a hobbyist, not a professional mechanic.

My Cars
    116i 2008
    For pure value for money I like ACDelco. They’re not the absolute cheapest but quality is definitely up to par. You can compare them and see http://topautotools.com/digital-torq...h-extra-money/