Thread: Need HELP and ADVICE on check engine codes!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 COUPE

Need HELP and ADVICE on check engine codes!

Hi my fellow e36 friends! I recently joined the forums about a week ago and was very surprised how big the community is! Very glad to join the community! Anyways lets jump into the problems! Ive been driving with these codes on for a while and I think its the time to really fix it because my mpg is really bad on my car which most likely because of the codes! And yes I'm sure that these codes pop up due to the mods I have put into the car but just want to give it a try.
    It is a 1997 E3 M3
    Engine MODS:
    -M50 Manifold Conversion
    -AFE intake w/ 3.5 MAF (might need to switch to the 3.5 porsche MAF if anyone selling!)
    -Bosch 24 lbs injectors
    -Mishimoto Radiator
    -High performance waterpump
    -other miscellaneous that does not relate to the codes.

CHECK ENGINE CODES:
    -P0101: Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range/Performance
    -P0170: Fuel Trim Bank 1
    -P0173: Fuel Trim Bank 2
    -P1188: Fuel control (bank 1 sensor 1)
    -P1189: Fuel control (bank 2 sensor 1)

At first, I think one of these solutions is to buy new front and rear o2 sensors to fix the air flow and mpg but I am tight on money and need to make sure what are the right parts for it to fix! Another solution is to change the PCV hoses by buying the kit in Amazon because it seems old and loose. I also bought a fog machine but im not sure if its safe because it might moist the engine? correct me if im wrong. The solution im using to make the smoke is a mixture of glycerin and water. If anyone can help please DO!!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I will move it to the E36 M3 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Did you tune it for the larger injectors and intake?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    What do you mean you “might need to switch to a Porsche MAF”?

What does the TUNE call for?
    What are you hiding?

If something is done incorrectly, fix it. MAFs are not interchangeable without retunes. Either it is correct for the tune or it isn’t. Is it some cheap fake MAF or the real deal? Do you even have a tune for these mods?

Don’t make us chase o2 and pcv problems for you if the mods to this car are done poorly.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 07-12-2018 at 07:05 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 COUPE
    I have the shark injector flash tune on this sorry for the confusion! I actually got the 3.5 MAF from a junkyard and the car drives perfectly fine other than when cold start , the first few seconds of driving the car stumbles on a certain rpm then drives perfect again. probably running too rich? I also have the original MAF sensor from the oem intake and have not tried it yet to see if the MAF is one of those issues!This is my first German car whereas I've been comfortable in the tuner car scene. Just want to expand my knowledge on getting to know the S50 and fixing it. I wanted to make this car drive perfectly as it can before I can start a new phase of my e36 build! I want to work on the car by myself and I am a college student where money becomes tight so I just want suggestions and advices to have a good start.
    SO? should I test the MAF issue by replacing it with the OEM to see if the MAF sensor i have now is at fault? What about the o2 sensors?

For the 3.5 porsche MAF, i will be tuning it from RKtunes after fixing these issues!
    Other mods are also a Full Corsa Exhaust system and my OBD2 scanner is not detecting the o2 sensors working and im guessing i have to buy new ones to really check correct?
    Last edited by Dannnzz; 07-12-2018 at 10:56 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    You don’t have an S50, you have an S52B32.

What MAF (part number) does the tune call for? Sounds like you haven’t modded this correctly or have bad parts. Fix known issues before jumping around the fault list. The wrong MAF, or a bad MAF will screw everything up. Your stock MAF is useless. As I already said, the tune is specific. You can’t just swap around different MAFs.

My Cars
    2010 335i; 1998 M3/4/5
    There's a two things going on here. First, you likely have a vacuum leak from the M50 Manifold install. Second its possible you have parts that don't work for the tune. The problems you're experiencing are likely a combination of both.

Porsche uses (at least) two 3.5" MAFs. The two germane to OBD2 E36 tuning are colloquially known as the 803 and 809 MAF. These MAFs are made by Bosch. The Bosch part numbers are: 0280217803 and 0280217809. Two other 3.5" MAFs widely used and also mad by Bosch are the 540i MAF and the euro s50b30 MAF.

Similarly, there are various different 24 lb injectors: Blue top "Ford Racing" injectors (Bosch PN 0280150947), which are different than the "Pink 24s" that Turner currently sells, and different still from the "Blue 24s" that Turner used to sell. There are others out there, too.

Tuners' software is written to work in concert with specific parts. You can get a tune for your stock MAF and stock injectors. But if your Conforti tune was not written to work with the current 3.5" MAF or injectors, that is the leading source of your troubles.

Contact the tuners and ask them which specific injector and which specific MAF the tune calls for in use. FWIW, Jordan at RK tuned my car. I have the 803 MAF and Blue Top injectors on my car.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    You don’t have an S50, you have an S52B32.

What MAF (part number) does the tune call for? Sounds like you haven’t modded this correctly or have bad parts. Fix known issues before jumping around the fault list. The wrong MAF, or a bad MAF will screw everything up. Your stock MAF is useless. As I already said, the tune is specific. You can’t just swap around different MAFs.

Hey, how did you get to hang around in here for so long applying reasonable logic to unreasonable modifications and remote diagnostical problematics (RDP)?
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T