Thread: M52 turbo help needed (from UK)

My Cars
    e36 328i coupe

M52 turbo help needed (from UK)

Hey there im after some helpnwirh my m52 turbo build and was directed here to get some advise.

Since our RHD cars are a bit tight for space turbo conversions aren’t all that common over here, but I’ve had my heart set on a turbo for a while and begun the work needed. But there’s very little info about some specifics I’m stuck on.

So here goes
    (Aiming for approx 350-400bhp)
    Garrett GT35R
    Top mount manifold (where washer bottle would sit)
    SMG washer bottle (sits behind bumper)
    Oil feed from vanos banjo bolt
    Oil return to sump
    0.120 MLS
    ARP head studs
    Head bolt threads helicoiled to prevent stripping (since we have aluminium blocks)

The custom work needed, such as intercooler pipework, manifold and downpipe are being taken care of by a fabricator friend of mine.

Here’s where I’m stuck

MAF, is the stock 328 one good enough? If not I’ve heard about 540 ones? Do I need the whole maf? Just the insert?

Since my intake to turbo will now be on the opposite side of the car, can I just extend the MAF wiring to reach?

I believe are UK cars are considered OBD1? We don’t have any e36s with check engine lights, only 2 lambda sensors etc and I’m not aware of any real ability to read codes/information like with obd2 cars.

So knowing this, is my stock ECU capable of being remapped to suit a turbo? Or will I need an aftermarket (link, megasquirt etc) solution?

What injectors would you guys recommend?

Finally, anything obvious I’m missing? Rest of the car is fully sorted (e34 m5 clutch setup, suspension and brakes etc all taken care of)
    Last edited by zornyan; 07-11-2018 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    86 325es
    You should email a couple of the US stock ecu tuners to see what to do with the tune. They should be able to work with you to figure out what ECU you have. The OBD1 cars in the US use a bosch ecu and OBD2 cars use a Siemens. The euro ones probably also use the Siemens but without the OBD interface. Just guessing on that though. People to ask would be 22rpd (Vollosso on this forum), RKtunes, technique tuning, ect... There are probably also tuners in Europe that can do the job but I don't know any. All of the US tuners will supply a MAF and injectors with the tune.

You can also of course use a standalone ecu such as megasquirt, vems, ect... Both vems and megasquirt have plug and play ECU's meant to plug right into the stock harness. The megasquirt currently only works with OBD1 harness's, but if yours does in fact have the OBD2 harness in it, its easy enough to swap one over from an M50 powered car. For injectors 60 lb siemens deka injectors would be good. 80 lb are pretty much the same cost and will also work well. Your power goal is pretty small for your turbo. The setup you describe above would just as easily make 500 whp so your selling yourself short only going for 350-400 bhp (thats like 280-330 on a dynojet). Don't forget a clutch, and if you do start turning up the wick over time you'll likely need to start refreshing the rubber parts in the driveline and reinforce the rear subframe.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    UK runs OBD2 ecu but the obd logic is not in the ECU.
    They can be flash tuned just like all M52.

328i MAF will not be sufficient. Run the nissan slot maf in a blow through setup. I built the transfer function for this MAF and have made it available over on the romraider forums, which will be your best source of information for open source tuning information

My Cars
    e36 328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ba114 View Post
    UK runs OBD2 ecu but the obd logic is not in the ECU.
    They can be flash tuned just like all M52.

328i MAF will not be sufficient. Run the nissan slot maf in a blow through setup. I built the transfer function for this MAF and have made it available over on the romraider forums, which will be your best source of information for open source tuning information
    So that means any tuner (with experience of m52s) can simply do a remap/flash when the turbo setup is ready?

Is that the 350z maf I’ve heard talk of? I’ll check out those forums thanks.

My Cars
    e36 328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    You should email a couple of the US stock ecu tuners to see what to do with the tune. They should be able to work with you to figure out what ECU you have. The OBD1 cars in the US use a bosch ecu and OBD2 cars use a Siemens. The euro ones probably also use the Siemens but without the OBD interface. Just guessing on that though. People to ask would be 22rpd (Vollosso on this forum), RKtunes, technique tuning, ect... There are probably also tuners in Europe that can do the job but I don't know any. All of the US tuners will supply a MAF and injectors with the tune.

You can also of course use a standalone ecu such as megasquirt, vems, ect... Both vems and megasquirt have plug and play ECU's meant to plug right into the stock harness. The megasquirt currently only works with OBD1 harness's, but if yours does in fact have the OBD2 harness in it, its easy enough to swap one over from an M50 powered car. For injectors 60 lb siemens deka injectors would be good. 80 lb are pretty much the same cost and will also work well. Your power goal is pretty small for your turbo. The setup you describe above would just as easily make 500 whp so your selling yourself short only going for 350-400 bhp (thats like 280-330 on a dynojet). Don't forget a clutch, and if you do start turning up the wick over time you'll likely need to start refreshing the rubber parts in the driveline and reinforce the rear subframe.
    Drivetrain is all new (propshaft) rear subframe is e36 evo setup, again all new/rebuilt. 400bhp is honestly where I’ll be happy, I don’t want to push the stock internals too far as I want t to be reliable.

My Cars
    E39 528i, E46 325ti
    If you're sticking with the stock ecu and MAF your MAF would still be on the intake side surely, as it would be pre throttle body but post intercooler, so basically the same place it is now bar some IC pipe. The MAF would need to be pre throttle body to get a reading on the airflow/temp coming out of your IC from the turbo. The only real difference with our RHD cars in terms of turbo bits placement/setup is the fact that the steering can make the downpipe awkward, otherwise the rest is really the same.

It's not that hard to wire up a non PnP Megasquirt to the stock loom either, that's what I've done on my UK E39.

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by zornyan View Post
    So that means any tuner (with experience of m52s) can simply do a remap/flash when the turbo setup is ready?

Is that the 350z maf I’ve heard talk of? I’ll check out those forums thanks.
    Correct. I built and turned my turbo setup from scratch on stock DME. Running RSI manifold, PTE6262, ID0150x injectors etc etc. Currently making nearly 500hp, have boost control implemented on stock dme
    Yes it is a 350z, altima, maxima etc MAF. Very common and only about $20.