Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: BMW E39 best radio upgrade to date

My Cars
    2004 BMW E39 525i

BMW E39 best radio upgrade to date?

So I've read a lot about different kinds of E39 audio upgrades, especially radio upgrades but all the posts I've read were written in like 2008 etc, can't find any relevant new ones, maybe I'm just dumb. Right now I have Business CD radio in my 2004 BMW E39 525i Touring without any factory stuff, like the sound is plain no bass and unbearable with high volume. So I was wondering what's the best solutsion to date? Should I invest in intravee II and Alpine KCA-420i like said in a post from 2008 or maybe I should buy one of those Android mids that are available today, like Xtron, ***** or Seicane? I can upgrade to MK III and 16:9 also, I have all the stuff needed for that and I will if the intravee and Alpine combo is the best solution. Anyone have better solutions to offer?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I think the best option is to see what is available specifically for your model. Crutchfield has an excellent configurator where you plug in your make/model and the populated results are only those that fit your specific model. It's really convenient. Take a look at the link below. Hope this helps!

https://www.crutchfield.com/car/cars...r%2fmycar.aspx
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2004 BMW E39 525i
    Do the aftermarket headunits provide the same kind of features as intravee etc? I mean like, can I configure my mirror unfolding, unlock/lock with lights etc. And with aftermarket units I'm kinda worried about fitting... I don't like the plastic frame around those little ones. :/ Thanks for the answer anyways, got a good overview of what I'm supposed to look for if I wanted a aftermarket unit. Is there like a update version of intravee that's like produced lately or I should just wait a bit and buy a newer car?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Many very reasonably priced double DIN head units are available. While the intervee was a great idea, modern head units provide all the features. Alpine is great brand, and so are Sony and Pioneer. Look at the Dynavin also.

My Cars
    BMW 530d (E39)
    Did you find a good solution?

I am looking for a headunit for my E39.

I currently have an Android Headunit but I really do not like it - even though it supports all kinds of smart features on paper, it is terrible when using amps and subs :-(

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You have the following options curently;

1. Retrofit all the OEM modules to give you the 16:9 widescreen monitor and Mk4 GPS computer, the amplifier unit and the wiring to all the speaker locations. You'll have the OBC parameters by default. You could opt for extra's like OEM Bluetooth which is for voice calls only and the TV tuner function, most likely the OEM hybrid Analogue/Digital unit from later E46/E53's. At this point you'll have the functionality you want but not the increase in Sound Quality/performance. So, it'll be more spend to 'add on' to the OEM system and connect up the Intravee/KCA-420i interface so you can add in the features of the Intravee and have Ipod control/playback. To increase sound quality, it'll be more spend to properly connect amplifiers/processors/component speakers and a subwoofer solution and have all that fitted in properly and correctly. At this point, you'll have all that you want/have asked for.

2. Remove all the OEM audio and fit in one of the cheap Chinese units. These units are low quality for every aspect, use generic/low grade electronics and components and are basically cheap tablet innards housed in an E39 shaped chassis. The Dynavin N7 supports directly some of the OBC parameters but not all (I might be wrong so check with the Dynavin N7 thread in the E39 section) but not all of them. All other cheap chinese units will need you to purchase the Resler Interface and purchase an app developed and sold from an enthusiast in Germany. You'll then via the app, have access to display the OBC information. Everything else about these units is a gamble, reliability, performance, sound quality are low/basic standards, along with hardware failures. You 'might' get a good, working longer term properly unit, but most likely you'll get a unit that over the short to medium term, will show up issues/problems etc. There's little to zero proper technical support, especially if you buy one of the cheaper chinese units. Jeff in California USA, is the only person/distributor who properly supports the Dynavin units and actually looks after customers according to US consumer law. As Veiks/gifant are in Europe, chances are none of the Euro country distributors support and cover customers in the same way - a few years ago, the UK distributor was taken to court where a very disappointed customer successfully proved in court that the Dynavin (e46 version) products were not fit for purpose. The distributor should have long previously offered the customer their money back, but didn't and got owned in court.

3. Remove all the OEM audio and fit one of the car audio premium brand head units. This route gives high quality for every aspect. Build, sound, reliability, performance, internal electronics & components are all proper automotive audio grade and then there's also many local car audio dealers/installers who will stand by and provide warranty support should you need it. No premium brand directly supports the OBC and on their own, they don't provide close to OEM looks. That said, the latest fascia/fitting kit for these head units is available and when installed, gives 95+ % OEM looks. Examples are here

With a Parrot Asteroid Smart

With a Alpine iLX-700 (iLX-007 in the USA)

Kenwood DMX706S

Due to be installed over next weekend...

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dmx706s/

I remain hopeful that sometime a solution will be found to display the OBC parameters on a premium brand head unit

Gifant - As you've discovered, the electronics internally to those cheap chinese head units are low quality and thus, low Sound Quality/Performance. Connect up some excellent amplifiers and use those to run upgraded speakers, and although the results will be 'louder', it's just louder not very musical, lifeless, compressed, dull sound. If you kept the same amplifiers and sub(s) but only changed the head unit to a high quality one, the resulting difference in the SQ and performance will be massive/significant. The picture I show above, the one with the iLX-700 in an M5, was this scenario. I helped him design and plan his audio and he wanted an android based head unit and connect to legendary Phoenix Gold amplifiers along with JL Audio subwoofers and Focal components. After the 2nd head unit went wrong/gave problems, and the iLX-700 just being released, he went to that and it transformed his setup - it now sounded smooth, musical, well balanced, warm and open, dynamically much better and put simply he was over the moon and said he should'nt have gone for a android type unit.

Overall, the best value for money for all aspects considered is option 3. Those aspects would be Sound Quality, Performance and reliability, price, ease of fitting, the latest technologies, genuine Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, full local reputable dealer/installer support and any warranty claims should you need it.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    '03 540it m '03 540ia m
    Who makes the fascia looking kit? Where is it available?
    Thanks,Felix.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
    Who makes the fascia looking kit? Where is it available?
    Thanks,Felix.
    Hi Felix,

I like to think I designed this solution well ! For all information and how/why I went about this concept, have a read here https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/13564...le-din-fascia/

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers, Dennis!