Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I bought a car from ACROSS THE COUNTRY!

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90

So I bought a car from ACROSS THE COUNTRY!

Hey E39er's! So after owning five E39 variants over the last several years I decided it was time to buy another classic car. I had sold my E30 two years ago to help fund a house purchase, and well, I've never owned an E28 before. So after searching I came across a beautiful example located in Oregon, with the same owner for the last 31 years! I can't imagine owning any car for that long.

Here's a look at me taking delivery of the car last week. Totally different drive than the E39, but different in a good way.

Link: https://youtu.be/CvG7fbZmHZo

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Nice. I always liked those E28s. Mileage? Manual?
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Looks pretty clean. How did you find it ? Actually how did you work the payment transaction ? I been searching for a 2002 and payment is a concern.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    E28, my first car! Got one in 1986, a 525european version out of Hong Kong, shipped to the Philippines right after high school. Loved that car! Only reason I sold it was because I moved to California in ‘89. Take care of that car, you will most probably end up keeping it for a long time, they are that good. Currently looking for one myself. Haha! Yeah, that’s what I need, another project....
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Envious...
    I wish I had the money to get another car...
    2013 335i estoril blue with car payments, or old classic bmw that you can still work on and no car payments ?
    mmmmm.....?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    A shame to expose that nice example to The Rust Belt.

I had an E12, with the 2.8 liter engine. I drove a friend's 533, and was quite surprised by the additional low-end grunt.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Sweet car. I'd bet the previous owner is kicking himself for selling it now that it's gone. Looks like he took great care of it too. Take good care of it and enjoy.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    Very Cool. Stratford! I'm in Milford. Will it be ready for Cars and Coffee at FCP Euro on July 29th?

My Cars
    03 530i, 99 Silverado
    I'll have an E28 one day. And my E39, and an F10. I guess I like every other generation 5er.
    Last edited by RRH; 07-12-2018 at 01:21 AM.
    1999 528i Touring - Alpine White

My Cars
    97 Z3, 94 E36, 73 E3
    I've done this a few times and the payment is usually the hardest part because both parties are trying not to get ripped off. So, the seller usually wants cash or PayPal up front, and you don't want to give them your money only to never hear from them again. Stalemate.

Best thing here is a third party. Some people will make an arrangement and then post the car on eBay and send the buyer a direct link to the auction.
    Some will work with an escrow service. I tried this once and did the research on how it would work, but there are some concerns about sketchy online escrow services and seller said no.... so caveat emptor.
    My current car 01 M5, I ended up flying to Dana Point, CA from Austin, seller picked me and my wife up from the airport, we drove the car for about an hour and a half, I drove it to the bank got cash and then drove it home to Texas.

I've done cashiers checks, money orders, personal check (very trusting fellow) and PayPal.

Long story short, the seller defines payment on their comfort level.

On a side note, check out www.searchtempest.com for national craigslist searches. I use this for finding E3 parts and parts cars. It's also how I searched for my current M5.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ruprectgern; 07-12-2018 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed CT View Post
    Nice. I always liked those E28s. Mileage? Manual?
    220k, it's an automatic. I will probably keep it original, I don't mind the automatic at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Looks pretty clean. How did you find it ? Actually how did you work the payment transaction ? I been searching for a 2002 and payment is a concern.
    I saw it on eBay first, someone in Mexico tried to buy it and have exported. The seller, an older guy, was then put off eBay and listed it locally on Craigslist. I searched the VIN and found the Craigslist listing. After some phone calls they agreed to sell the car to me with a wire transfer and were OK with shipping across the country. I am very fortunate they were open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    A shame to expose that nice example to The Rust Belt.

I had an E12, with the 2.8 liter engine. I drove a friend's 533, and was quite surprised by the additional low-end grunt.
    This is a 533i and has the 3.2L M30 - totally has torque which makes it fun to drive around town. No worries, it will only be driven seasonally and garaged during the winter. My E39 will take the winter abuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
    Sweet car. I'd bet the previous owner is kicking himself for selling it now that it's gone. Looks like he took great care of it too. Take good care of it and enjoy.
    Thanks! Yeah, he was in his 70's and had a good 31 years with the car. He didn't drive it much anymore and didn't want to see it sit unused. Thankful he sold it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by scubajim20 View Post
    Very Cool. Stratford! I'm in Milford. Will it be ready for Cars and Coffee at FCP Euro on July 29th?
    I will be traveling that part of the summer most likely. I think there is a cars and coffee this Sunday in Milford, I will try to make it there.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    I agree, it is difficult especially if done through Craigslist. There are so many scams and flakes out there, you can spend a lot of time trying to buy a car and then get let down. Fortunately this one was on eBay for a day or so and I was able to see the history of the car and the seller feedback. There are things to look for, verifying the address on Google street view w/ the photos posted - doesn't work every time but can help.

I used my experience of buying cars (25+) over the last 15 years which usually involves putting all of the pieces together to verify the information you're getting. I did take a risk by paying for the car with a wire transfer, but two days later a box with every service record from 1984 to present showed up along with the title, owners manuals, factory brochure, window stickers, rear badge and spare keys showed up. The seller's communication and attention to detail was meticulous. That's what you want to experience.

I definitely do not recommend wire transfers for the novice car buyer - especially if buying from a distance.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Awesome!
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Money

Bought my E31 in NY on E-Bay, Paid a $500 deposit thru Pay Pal, Remainder was an Envelope full of cash. Protected by E-Bay except for the cost of the trip to NY from MN.

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Beautiful original condition. Good video you made there. I love the E28 and the E12.

If you want to see some lovely shots of a new E12, check out Gerard Depardieu in Les comperes (1983).

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Quote Originally Posted by AusE39er View Post
    Beautiful original condition. Good video you made there. I love the E28 and the E12.

If you want to see some lovely shots of a new E12, check out Gerard Depardieu in Les comperes (1983).

Well, nowI may have to watch it , just to find out what happened to the other half of that guy's glasses.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Haha lots of great cars in French cinema, I'll check it out

My Cars
    02 530i 05 156SW 05 166
    Well, nowI may have to watch it , just to find out what happened to the other half of that guy's glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by rbelton View Post
    Haha lots of great cars in French cinema, I'll check it out
    You're right, and sometimes those yellow headlights they use look good.

The start sequence of Luc Besson's Subway 1985 is always fun.

My Cars
    528iT
    Congrats on the purchase! I picked up a red 535i from Orlando about 10 years ago. 5speed manual, Euro headlight conversion, BBS front valence, iS rear spoiler, B&B og muffler.

Talked with the owner for months beforehand to convince him to sell it to me. Some guy in NC wanted to buy it for his sons first car and to learn to drive stick in (nope). He sided with me, sold my E30 and the next morning on a one way trip to Florida. Signed the papers and the next day road tripped it back to NY. Best fun I've ever had. Never missed a beat aside from one flat tire in GA.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! I picked up a red 535i from Orlando about 10 years ago. 5speed manual, Euro headlight conversion, BBS front valence, iS rear spoiler, B&B og muffler.

Talked with the owner for months beforehand to convince him to sell it to me. Some guy in NC wanted to buy it for his sons first car and to learn to drive stick in (nope). He sided with me, sold my E30 and the next morning on a one way trip to Florida. Signed the papers and the next day road tripped it back to NY. Best fun I've ever had. Never missed a beat aside from one flat tire in GA.
    That's a great story! Do you still own the car?

I've owned maybe 12 E30's over the years, never got into E28's until now. I think they're having their moment, prices are certainly climbing as they become impossible to find.

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    Quote Originally Posted by rbelton View Post
    Hey E39er's! So after owning five E39 variants over the last several years I decided it was time to buy another classic car. I had sold my E30 two years ago to help fund a house purchase, and well, I've never owned an E28 before. So after searching I came across a beautiful example located in Oregon, with the same owner for the last 31 years! I can't imagine owning any car for that long.

Here's a look at me taking delivery of the car last week. Totally different drive than the E39, but different in a good way.

Link: https://youtu.be/CvG7fbZmHZo
    Little crazy but were you in Milford last night??? I looked out my window last night and a white E28 was stopped in front of my house. When the car drove down the hill the driver even looked like you. No I am not doing drugs or drinking heavily, at least at that point I had not.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Haha yeah I was! My dad is visiting from another state, so took him for a tour along the water. We stopped to see the view at this little yellow house for sale!
    Last edited by rbelton; 07-28-2018 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    Too funny I live in the grey house across the street. I remember the car and your face from the video. What are the odds.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajim20 View Post
    Too funny I live in the grey house across the street. I remember the car and your face from the video. What are the odds.
    Haha no way! We did notice the E39 lol, small world. We might actually make it tomorrow to the FCP cars and coffee - maybe see you there!

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Speaking of

29257554_10102824281598948_2365380807943520256_n.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast