Thread: Seeking Suspension Suggestions for my 320i

My Cars
    1979 320i

Seeking Suspension Suggestions for my 320i

SMO Jackson:
    I'm currently riding on cut springs that are within an inch of their life and the wife gave the go ahead on purchase of suspension for my car. Any suggestions? I'm currently riding low and I'd like to retain the ride height... However, I know long-term its probably not logical. Budget is negotiable, however, I'd like to retain some money to follow up on other areas of the car that need attention.

Suggestions, links, advice and knowledge you can provide me appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Bilstien sport struts and rear shocks with adjustable coilovers. These will be stiffer than stock (shocks) and will let you change the ride height as desired.

ie if you get tired of bottoming out, sore jaws, scraping the bottom of your car on the road - you can just adjust it up to stop the sparks.

And it will handle much much better then your current cut springs.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 08-07-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    yeah, your car is way too low to handle well and that wheel poke should go as well.

stock height is alright, but it will ride almost as well and handle much better at 1.5" lower. if you're looking for some extra handling fun at the expense of comfort then get bilstein HD's for stock springs and billie Sports for lowering springs. there are only 2 choices for springs, stock and lowering springs will get you to -1.5".

for a little more money then the above options you can go with coilovers, the main advantage is that spring rates are easy to change (until you find the ride you're looking for) and they're fairly cheap.

Old Man........ struts?, i never thought i'd hear say that. don't make me come down there!
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    1979 320i
    Do you have any recommendations? For coilovers that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    yeah, your car is way too low to handle well and that wheel poke should go as well.

stock height is alright, but it will ride almost as well and handle much better at 1.5" lower. if you're looking for some extra handling fun at the expense of comfort then get bilstein HD's for stock springs and billie Sports for lowering springs. there are only 2 choices for springs, stock and lowering springs will get you to -1.5".

for a little more money then the above options you can go with coilovers, the main advantage is that spring rates are easy to change (until you find the ride you're looking for) and they're fairly cheap.

Old Man........ struts?, i never thought i'd hear say that. don't make me come down there!
    Last edited by EconomicHustle; 08-08-2018 at 12:54 AM.

My Cars
    '82 BMW 320i, '85 318i
    I am currently riding on CAtuned coilovers with a modified front subframe for control arm clearance. I would imagine at you current height that your control arms are hitting the subframe which creates quite a bouncy ride. I sourced my coilovers from a local dealer for around 950 and couldn't be happier. 3 way adjustable. There are actually a few options for e21s now which is nice. GC is the best but most expensive option. If I were you, I would buy BC as they have the most height adjustability. Good luck, car looks great! Are those Enkei 92s?

CAtuned: https://catuned.com/catuned-bmw-coilovers-e21
    BC: http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applicati...e21-75-83.html
    GC: http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=878/CA=4

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    Definitely need to shorten the front sub frame so you don't rip out the lower control arms over time. Best bet would be to go air ride if you want comfort and on the fly height adjustment. CAtuned coilover kit is another option, the front strut tube will need to be cut and the CAtuned one welded in professionally.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    Tom you are always welcome!!!!! And what ever it takes to get you here!!! LOL

I am thinking the So Cal Legion needs another get together!!!

And having you here would just top it off Tom!

Corrected "front strut inserts" ?
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 08-08-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1983 E21 320i BMW
    Hey, I was about to make a for sale post and fell upon this, so before I make one and let others know, ill give you first dibs...I'm actually selling Bilstein sport struts with H&R lowering springs 1.5" they only have just over 4k miles on them. The set up rides great, very smooth. Nothing was wrong with them i ended up getting BC coilovers for a different look. Im selling for $650.00 plus shipping. Let me know i can email you images. unfortunately I am new to the forums and having a hard time adding these photos

- Dom

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, I was about to make a for sale post and fell upon this, so before I make one and let others know, ill give you first dibs...I'm actually selling Bilstein sport struts with H&R lowering springs 1.5" they only have just over 4k miles on them. The set up rides great, very smooth. Nothing was wrong with them i ended up getting BC coilovers for a different look. Im selling for $650.00 plus shipping. Let me know i can email you images. unfortunately I am new to the forums and having a hard time adding these photos

- Dom

My Cars
    1979 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Domrizzottie21 View Post

- Dom

- - - Updated - - -

- Dom
    Pm'd

My Cars
    1979 320i
    You guys are epic.