Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you guys think is the best color?

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Finally!! Was texting with Eric and Tim yesterday and was telling the it may be time to start pressing the issue about getting the car finished. The same afternoon he called said it was painted and he wanted to get it to me Friday. Naturally I won’t be able to take it since we leave for a cruise this weekend to get out of town for Mardi Gras. But at least when I get back I’ll be able to get the car in time for the weather to get good and give me a few months to pt it back together without the blistering heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Still have the valences and the black trim to paint, polish it later etc. but man it’s looking good. When you first are walking up, it looks like a ver nice black. Get under the light and then the blue starts to pop up.

I was concerned about the transition to the engine bay but it looked really good, though the engine bay needs a good bath before I can really tell. Hell, even the cloudy chrome looked OK.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Wow! I was just wondering how your car was progressing.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    So close but....

The car had been painted for a while now and the hold up to getting it back has been the windshields going back in. First off the rear gasket is NLA so I got a used one from Steven that he carefully removed from his parts car. That along with new front gasket were scheduled to go in weeks ago. During that time I got a call from the shop owner saying the guys from the windshield place couldn't get the windshields in because they were the wrong gaskets. Now I gave them the used rear which came out of Steven's car, a brand new front one, and a used front one that also came from Steven's car.

I wasn't there when they tried to put it in but the report I got was the gaskets were too small. I went to see the car afterwards to see if I could figure out what was up and the front windshield was installed......with the rear windshield gasket! In addition they put in the front lock strips which of course didn't fit and now it all has to come out. Of course the one gasket we can't mess up is the one they installed in the wrong place. This should be fun to resolve and it's the only holdup from me getting the car back. Ughhhh!

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, what do you guys think about the style 42's on the e23? I have a set and I like the way this car looks.

7adc40eb90c31bf908a2bff828aceeb0.jpg

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I have a vague recollection cautioning that very few glass guys know how to deal with lock strip style gaskets. I would not trust that installer to do the job right the second time, you might want to find someone else. If they don't even know the difference between front and rear gaskets, I highly doubt they will get that gasket locked in correctly and not leaking. I hope they know the order of operations for installing that glass, gasket and bright trim: The gasket gets installed on the glass while the glass is on a stand, then the bright trim gets installed into the gasket, still off the car, then the glass w/ gasket and trim gets lipped over the body using a rope and an installer who knows what they are doing. Ideally the installer will also use a non hardening butyl sealant in between the gasket lip and the body. They should not be using silicone or urethane products for this job. I have seen installers use both of those inappropriate materials on gasket style windshields trying to solve leaks that incorrect installations created. A lot of people try to jam the bright trim in the gasket channel after the glass and gasket have already been installed on the body, which will not compress the gasket correctly, will probably not sit flat especially near the corners, and will most likely leak. The bright trim serves as a lock strip in addition to providing a cosmetic effect, so its correct installation is critical.
    Last edited by BONDOSPECIAL; 05-08-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

What do you guys think is the best color?

Thanks Steven. I have read a couple different takes on this. Both say Gasket first, the only other difference was lock strips on or off the car. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I was aware of the rope technique from changing them out to DOT approved windshields back in the day.

Brought back some bad memories as several windshields I had to pay to change were high quality originals, they just lacked the DOT etch. Cost me some nice money then because Benz windshield were like 600 dollars. Ouch!

BTW, we sold our business over the New Years break and I had to spend some time out of the country. I was going through some emails and saw that I was discussing a door fairing you needed. If you still need it just send me that FedEx info and I’ll give it to you. I actually have several.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Putting the lock strips in the gasket off the car is per BMW's instructions and also per auto glass industry expert Bob Beranek (I read auto glass publications sometimes)

https://beranek.agrrmag.com/2013/01/...-installation/

DIY'ers tend to try to jam the lock strip in after the fact because it's a little easier to flex the gasket over the body w/ the lock strip not installed yet. I would not recommend that

I do still need the bolster
    Last edited by BONDOSPECIAL; 05-09-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    IT finally came home

VTEH2rBtQYGSAuuu+VHCkA.jpgYU7QzqRYRDObSvcSJ3iKBQ.jpgI9+NhPxbQh6hgeNBcUEuwA.jpg

Time to make a game plan to get it back together

My Cars
    '80 733i , '76 2002
    Nice. You have some fun in front of you. Enjoy!

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the bright trim is not seated at the lower pass side of the windshield. That looks like what happens when someone jams it in after the fact instead of installing the glass and gasket w/ that trim already installed. You might be able to carefully remove that lower piece of trim, reshape it so that lower corner curves tighter to the gasket, lube it with some dish soap, and pop it in tighter
    Steve H.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by BONDOSPECIAL View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the bright trim is not seated at the lower pass side of the windshield. That looks like what happens when someone jams it in after the fact instead of installing the glass and gasket w/ that trim already installed. You might be able to carefully remove that lower piece of trim, reshape it so that lower corner curves tighter to the gasket, lube it with some dish soap, and pop it in tighter
    You have an eagle eye my friend. I think we have the next Eric, e23 whisperer amongst us. Now, can you see why they are that way.Take a closer look if the pic will get big enough and see what you see. On another note Did you get my messages with my email? And one more thing, I'm going to pass by the BMW place tomorrow and check on an oil pan for you. Unfortunately for us, Katrina wiped out a lot of old car stock so yards have nothing.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I saw your email about the bolsters, those have not been on my radar since I am scrambling to get an oil pan on this engine. I appreciate your offer and will talk to you when I am working on the interior again. I am going to see if a local fab shop can Tig weld one of the cracked pans I have. I have heard bad things about tig welding old, oil-contaminated cast of unknown alloy composition so I'm not holding my breath on this idea. Thank you for your help!
    Steve H.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123