Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think is the best color?

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

What do you guys think is the best color?

After taking the interior out and finding a few things that need attention, I contacted a friend of mine and will be delivering the car to him to be painted. The car is currently Diamondschwarz and there ain't too much diamond in it believe me. Every panel on the car will need to be sanded and prepped. The jambs have overspray from a previous Macco job so they will have to be sanded so the point is, with everything out and all the sanding that needs to be done, it's the perfect time for a color change...... or not.

I am looking for some ideas. I never thought black was the best color for this car, especially living in the south. I like black, My Suburban and the car I just replaced it with are both black, just not thrilled with it on this car. Also since these are not the types of collector cars that are greatly affected by having to be totally original, I am thinking of changing the color. I have seen a few that I like. I really like the white one below, or this Bahama Beige, or the blue.

Brown BMW.jpg1983-BMW-745i-Front-940x636.jpgBlue BMW.jpg

I like some of the newer colors on the modern cars as well. If you could totally repaint yours, what color would you choose?
    Last edited by espoe; 07-10-2018 at 05:17 AM.

My Cars
    84' 533i Turbo
    Last edited by gixxerboy; 07-10-2018 at 06:45 PM.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    What color is the interior now?
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    85 €735i 08 550i/6
    I love them all if done right. Whatever floats your boat.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '80 733i , '76 2002
    That Beige Bahama catches my eye. Any of the lighter colors makes the lines stand out.
    And,
    Quote Originally Posted by CroughtonE32 View Post
    What color is the interior now?
    his interior is buffalo.
    www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2375957-Buffalo-Leather-Questions

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Yep, Interior is buffalo 0181, Nutria. However that is also up for grabs because it look like it's going to need to be dyed. I think I will stick with the same color although just a shade or 2 lighter if I can. I am liking the natural look of the cleaned leather. I 'll see what the color plus lady tells me. They are great to work with.

Started taking all the exterior trim off last night. This was one hell of a rabbit hole I tell you.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by TowJamma View Post
    That Beige Bahama catches my eye. Any of the lighter colors makes the lines stand out.
    And,
    his interior is buffalo.
    www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2375957-Buffalo-Leather-Questions
    Totally agree on the lighter colors accentuating the lines better.

If I go back with the black I would have to have them add something into the paint, or choose a paint the looked more wet. That would be a royal pain to keep up with I would think. I am looking for suggestions here because it's been a long time since I have been involved with painting that so much has changed. There are tons of finishes and interesting colors, wraps, you name it. The suggestions help with things to consider and give me some experiences people have had with different products.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Gonna throw my two cents in here. I've been through BMW painting. Since 1983 I've really only had two daily drivers. 733I five speed and my 1990 735i Auto. Both were the same color. The first was with Black interior and the one I've been driving for the past 28 years has natural interior. No question that driving with dark interior will always be much hotter especially with black leather. I did it for almost 8 years before changing to the same color car with light tan interior. About ten or eleven years ago I decided to do a complete repaint. I knew I was keeping the car forever so I did my research. You really do get what you pay for. Around 2005 or 2006 I had the car stripped completely down to bare metal. Glass out, front and rear, bumpers off, sunroof out mirrors off, lenses off and really stripped down. I chose the finest body shop in South Florida. These people do all the work for "The Toy Store" in Ft. Lauderdale. Most expensive imports. I was given a tour, saw their work and paid their price. Things were cheaper back then and $4100.00 was good at that time. Today I still know the owner and I was told what I had done would cost more than ten grand. Not sure if you want to go that far. But I can tell you there is a major difference between that sort of paint job and spending 1500 at a run of the mill body shop. I'm about 12 years past that paint job and it looks like the day I picked it up. And that's driving every day in the Florida heat. They had the car almost three weeks. I stopped by twice to see the work in progress. There was a time when the entire car was primed in an almost light black primer. That was a little scary. Another time I saw my glass out and mirrors and sunroof hanging on a special fence inside the spray booth. I never went back until it was done. You say you want a light color. I've always loved BMW's bronzitbeige metallic. Must be true as I bought both seven series cars new in that color. If you're going to do a complete strip down, it's an easy color for the paint shop to spray. Nothing fancy and I was told it's an easy mix. I think it would look great with your interior. There is a color that I've fallen in love with over the years. I saw it for the first time on Chasing Classic Cars. Carinni was working on a Mercedes 190SL. A late 60's car and it was called graphite gray. It has a hint of a green tint to it. If I were to repaint my car today, I might go with it. But at almost 70 years old now, this car will surely outlive me. Here's the color of my car and I grabbed a shot off the internet of the Mercedes Graphite Gray that might interest you. Good luck, and post pictures please.
    Jeff

Last edited by CroughtonE32; 07-11-2018 at 01:32 PM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by CroughtonE32 View Post
    Gonna throw my two cents in here. I've been through BMW painting. Since 1983 I've really only had two daily drivers. 733I five speed and my 1990 735i Auto. Both were the same color. The first was with Black interior and the one I've been driving for the past 28 years has natural interior. No question that driving with dark interior will always be much hotter especially with black leather. I did it for almost 8 years before changing to the same color car with light tan interior. About ten or eleven years ago I decided to do a complete repaint. I knew I was keeping the car forever so I did my research. You really do get what you pay for. Around 2005 or 2006 I had the car stripped completely down to bare metal. Glass out, front and rear, bumpers off, sunroof out mirrors off, lenses off and really stripped down. I chose the finest body shop in South Florida. These people do all the work for "The Toy Store" in Ft. Lauderdale. Most expensive imports. I was given a tour, saw their work and paid their price. Things were cheaper back then and $4100.00 was good at that time. Today I still know the owner and I was told what I had done would cost more than ten grand. Not sure if you want to go that far. But I can tell you there is a major difference between that sort of paint job and spending 1500 at a run of the mill body shop. I'm about 12 years past that paint job and it looks like the day I picked it up. And that's driving every day in the Florida heat. They had the car almost three weeks. I stopped by twice to see the work in progress. There was a time when the entire car was primed in an almost light black primer. That was a little scary. Another time I saw my glass out and mirrors and sunroof hanging on a special fence inside the spray booth. I never went back until it was done. You say you want a light color. I've always loved BMW's bronzitbeige metallic. Must be true as I bought both seven series cars new in that color. If you're going to do a complete strip down, it's an easy color for the paint shop to spray. Nothing fancy and I was told it's an easy mix. I think it would look great with your interior. There is a color that I've fallen in love with over the years. I saw it for the first time on Chasing Classic Cars. Carinni was working on a Mercedes 190SL. A late 60's car and it was called graphite gray. It has a hint of a green tint to it. If I were to repaint my car today, I might go with it. But at almost 70 years old now, this car will surely outlive me. Here's the color of my car and I grabbed a shot off the internet of the Mercedes Graphite Gray that might interest you. Good luck, and post pictures please.
    Jeff

Love the Graphite Gray. I'll look into that one. I have a bronzit e24 that is the next one up for a respray. It's a 1985 with 53k miles, perfect interior with clearcoat failure. That is a classic 80s color for sure. Your e32 looks great. i find the wheels make such a difference in making that car pop and yours are terrific.

Depending on how you add it up I will be into this way more than I anticipated when I bought it. If you were following some of my threads, I was chasing down a nasty smell which led me to strip out the interior and then came the dreaded "since this is already out, I may as well" ... disease. Found a little rust hole under the trunk gasket and here we are for a repaint. The Paint job will be in the 4k range (and that's because he is a personal friend) with me taking it apart. I have gotten new rubber for the doors inner seal and the ones on the door, door lock gaskets, new grommets for the door lock rods to stop the rattles, tail light gaskets, trunk lock gasket, trunk seal, sunroof, hood, cowl, and am looking for the 2 windshield seals. That's close to 1300.00 just in rubber and that's if I find reasonable windshield seals which are now NLA for the rear. My grills could stand replacing since the tabs are busted and the chrome is crap and while I am at it I will install the headlight washer/wiper system I have for it. Grills will add another 3-500 depending on used or new. Add 2 new roundels and the 745i badge for another 100. Hood pads for another 100. Then comes the chrome. I'll run another post for ideas, but the anodized stuff I have is cloudy as a hurricane day so I have to do something with that. New cost is $1500.00 and there are a few odd pieces NLA. I looking into a chrome powder coat or chrome vinyl wrap just in case. The cheapest I'll come out on that is $300 I think and that will be if I'm lucky. Then the interior has me into it for all the padding and sound insulation for another $500.00 and I will probably just do the carpet for $400.00 more since everything else is new. Then 150 for the leather products. That's all just this latest project. When I bought it went on a mechanical tear from shock, exhaust, dash, headliner, brakes, hoses, belts, battery, etc..

Anyway I got off track there and just got the idea for another post, but the paint will be a 6K project it looks like for a good, but not show quality, paint job with the right rubber replacements and no surprises.
    Last edited by espoe; 07-12-2018 at 04:55 AM.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Whatever color you pick, you seem like you're into making this an almost showroom looking car. It's how I've kept mine since I drove it off the dealers lot in Feb of 1990. If for some reason you decide to do interior work, I can recommend a place for you to get your materials. https://www.gahh.com/ Check out this site. Enter your car. It's an easy site to work with. They're also good on the phone. They do two things. They purchase BMW factory overruns and keep them for future use, as well as matching and stitching every interior part you need in any color leather you want. My experience was 12 years ago just before I did my paint job. I ordered the exact color seat covers. Back of seat, bottom of seat, arm rests and did not need the head rest covers. I sent them my two old covers and they moved the heater elements from both and placed them into the new covers. The leather match was so dead on that you can not tell that I didn't replace the head rests. Arm rests and all. I didn't need the rear seat because nobody really ever sat back there. Again the new covers were an exact match to the rear seat that at the time was about 15 years old. I also gave them the color code and they sent me four yards of factory headliner. That was enough for the entire headliner including the sunroof and all pillars other than those housing the seat belts. They weren't necessary. I have enough headliner material to do the sunroof one more time if it's ever necessary. If for some reason they don't have your exact size seat covers, I believe they'll make it for you after the color has been sorted out. I didn't just pick these people out of thin air. My best friend (who is 78 and retired now) was an ace mechanic at Vista BMW down here. The largest BMW dealership in the world. They used GAHH at the time for warranty work. Of course once you get these things, you need an old time professional upholsterer to do the work. Thank god I found one close by. Good luck and thanks for the compliment on my Alpina wheels. They mean a lot to me. About three years ago I finally found a set in the UK that came off of a B10 bi-turbo being parted. I had them straightened, stripped and powder coated after receiving them. I've always wanted them but never wanted them staggered. The B11 came with 8.5J X 17 offset ET12 front and 10J X 17 offset ET28 rear. I waited a long time for someone selling the 8.5's all around and that's what I ended up with. Was worth it for me.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I am not a fan of resprays. Black on tan looks beautiful when done well.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    I am not a fan of resprays. Black on tan looks beautiful when done well.
    I agree about black on tan. There's a nice looking E34 that I see in the neighborhood every once in a while in great shape black/tan interior. I've seen it parked a couple of times in a local shopping center but have never been able to catch the driver to talk. Next time I see it I'll leave a note with my phone number. If he doesn't think I'm crazy, maybe he (or she) will call. I'd love to get a good look-around. Eddie here is looking for a lighter color. That's why I posted my bronzitbeige metallic. Didn't know he had an older BMW in that color. Look forward to seeing his car all done up. I do love that Mercedes graphite though.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    I have a Bahama Beige car. Owned a Bronzit, was meh about the Bronzit and they have low resale value.

That Afrika Korps beige color is really slick!!
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    Well, each to his own. Back in 1990, I think the nicest E32 colors were Bronzitbeige and Salmon Silver. Either way, I don't need to worry about resale. I got a great trade in price for my 1983 Bronzitbeige E23 5 speed (sold to the BMW salesman) and I'll never sell my E32. It's with me for life.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    In general I’m with Eric on the respray[ and color change . It’s very difficult and expensive to do well. In fact I’m not taking the engine out, at least I think I’m not,and there will be black from inside the fender seams down. I can do a little to disguise that but it’s there. And I also agree that Black and Tan looks good but here is my issue. I traded in this after 10 years

And bought this

Black over tan. I’m just worn out on black even though I really like them done well.

Was stripping it down tonight. Can not get that chrome trim off the top of the doors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Can’t get the chrome off the top of the doors. It considering that, anybody have any real luck refinishing the chrome trim?

The very top trim I have off. That piece on the top of the door is not budging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    These parts are not available but showing where the mounting screws bolts and washers are, might help you remove them. I'd never try this kind of work, but maybe you can figure it out.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_0807

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_0810

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_0800

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    One I liked was silver but the drippage (plastic aero parts) and the shaved roundels front and rear did that one right.

My car is gazellenbiege and with a machine gun mounted it would fit right in with the Korps. I'm not a real fan of the color but it works very well with the leather nutria (olive drab green, not the buffalo nutria, a brown).

If I was to pick a color, the arcticblau, maybe a Sepang braun, (later color) and some others might get a nod as would the graphite of the period, not the Delphin.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Almost ready to go. That top chrome I may leave for the body shop. It ain’t moving. The bumpers I’ll get later today. Does any body have some instruction on that? Not much I found on the euro,bumper removal yet. Trying to find out how to get the front air dam off and if I have to remove the rubber strip to do it.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    After a call from Eric I went out there and found the bolts he was talking about for the bumper removal. Also just found this post for changing from US to Euro for the e23. iI already have the Euro of course but this post shows where to find everything with some nice photos. http://www.stlbmwcca.org/wwwboard/vi...8514&view=next

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Well that’s as much as I can get. Off to the paint shop. Could not get that front bumper to come off even though the bolts are out. I’ll let the get it up on the rack for a better look.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 735i
    probably too late with this, but there are two large screws from inside the front part of the wheel well out to the bumper carrier, two bolts in the engine compartment that inserts from the side into the bumper brackets, and there are two nuts that cinches the bumper brackets down underneath. you will have to elevate the front end to unbolt them. they are fairly easy to find. On the bottom side of the bumper brackets. Once all six mounting points are removed/unbolted, the whole bumper assembly should just slide out.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    After a call from Eric I went out there and found the bolts he was talking about for the bumper removal. Also just found this post for changing from US to Euro for the e23. iI already have the Euro of course but this post shows where to find everything with some nice photos. http://www.stlbmwcca.org/wwwboard/vi...8514&view=next
    Anyone finding this and considering converting US to EURO, yes you can do it as shown in this link and cut off sections of the frame rail ends. It is probably quick and easy, but you won't be able to put the US bumpers back on. The way I did it, was to just remove the frame rail end caps using my dremel and thin cutting wheels. It took a little more effort, but the frame rail ends just slid out with a little effort with a chisel and hammer. IF i every want to put the US bumpers back on, the rail ends can just be welded back on. I'm just the type that really tries to make everything i modify about my cars be reversible just in case.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Still haven't decided a color yet. A consideration is the chrome trim and how cloudy it is. To replace it all is pretty steep and there are a few NLA pieces. I checking into chrome powder coat or even chrome vinyl wrap. The powder coat is intriguing but I think there are a few pieces that are connected to the plastic that I am not sure come off. I wonder if they would hold up to the powder coat oven? If there is no great option I think a color that looks good with Shadowline would be a consideration. The Bahama Beige and White look good with it but I would really like to keep the chrome.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Progress! I got these sent to me yesterday. The arrangement I have with the shop is he sends his guys to work on it as they get slow so this is taking a bit. That's giving me the chance to source and collect some parts. He's got the guys started but as you can see there are still a few parts to remove like some trim, door handles, etc.. But at least we have some progress!

IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0082-1.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast