Thread: Driver side seat motor & tilt problema

My Cars
    e36 325ic

Driver side seat motor & tilt problema

Biggest problem is the tilt doesn't work, seems the handle to bend the seat forward completely broke internally and doesn't disengage the seat anymore.

Second problem is the motor to change the angle between butt of the seat and back of the seat doesn't work (works on passenger). All other functions work though.

Could either be easy fix? Anyone have experience?

P.s. the leather is kind of shitting out on the passenger, anyone ever replace the leather or put those seat covers over?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Regarding the seat movement, you either have electrical problems or the plastic gear in the motor has failed (tilt motor). Both will require you to remove the seat from the car and flip over to diagnose. All the power to the seat motors flows by one plug. You can apply power to that plug and see what you get. Swapping leather is easy. I keep a stash on hand of good leather. If you need any PM me

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    In addition to what 66 6 says, I have found that the seat switch failed on my passenger seat. Easy to change if you can get the seat out. With mine the seat was broken in a position where I couldn't get to the bolts. Kind a catch 22 -- cant fix the seat unless you can move it, but you cant move it because it is broken.

I still need to change the little plastic gear on my passenger seat one day.

I changed the leather on my seats. I got new skins from leatherseats.com. I am sure 66 6 has a better deal for used leather. Not too bad of a job but time consuming and your hand will have blisters from the hog ring pliers when you are done.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-re-upholstery
    Last edited by 110reef; 07-10-2018 at 01:00 PM.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by 110reef View Post

I changed the leather on my seats. I got new skins from leatherseats.com. I am sure 66 6 has a better deal for used leather. Not too bad of a job but time consuming and your hand will have blisters from the hog ring pliers when you are done.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-re-upholstery
    The best thing about used leather is the cushion is still hog ringed to the leather. Un-hog ringing sucks, To hog ring I changed over to zip ties. Worked great and no issues. The only time you need to un hog ring leather is to put on a new cushion or if your inserting the heating elements.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    Actually, I found the hog rings easy to remove and install. You don't have to worry when your plastic zip ties may fail either.
    I did a number of youtube videos on my e36 seat installation which shows the process.

Don B