Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Individual sterling silver 540i6 project

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    I got the engine in this evening. I transferred the clutch from the old engine to the new engine since it was installed not long ago. I decided to not use the flywheel on the old motor because it was resurfaced so much that there is no longer a raised area for the clutch disc. The clutch was fine and I did not notice any slipping the day I drove it home. What I did notice was how it did slip after starting the car in gear by mistake one day. I believe this also could to be due to the fact that the rear coolant plate was leaking quite badly. That may have had something to do with the slipping on a cold start. No telling at this point because I will not have to deal with it anymore.

Engine in.

I decided to start taking the old engine apart to see how bad the damage was. Made it this far. I'll dig into it later this week, time permitting.

Rear coolant plate.

My 540i6 is a 540i6 again. I also replaced the rear main seal, rear main gasket, and pressure washed the engine bay. The old engine was nasty but the engine bay was not terrible. It cleaned up nicely. I should have this up and running by next weekend if I put in a little time after work this week. I also ordered some more parts for it that can be installed with the motor in the car. Can't wait to get this going again.

Once this is done, maybe I'll 5 speed swap my touring
    Last edited by atl530i; 09-24-2018 at 12:09 AM.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    E34, E30, LC, VP44, CJ7
    Excellent work Justin! It's so much easier to follow progress and updates here.

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by e34Croak View Post
    Excellent work Justin! It's so much easier to follow progress and updates here.
    Thanks. It's not far from done. I'm out of town for the week so I'm not able to finish up after work during the evenings.

I made some good progress last week and weekend. I decided to take it easy last weekend and not work on it much. I removed the heads from the old block and found some bent valves. Three bent exhaust valves with one being pretty bad and two slightly bent intake valves. The crosshatches look great for being a nikisil block. Money shifting is real

I got the front end back on the car over the course of last week. The wiring harness, shift linkage, and radiator are back in the car. The shifter is a lot better now. I still need to connect the power steering system, exhaust, and fluids but it's all coming together finally. One of the bolts for the starter harness was seized and the post was free spinning in the solenoid so it had to be replaced. I have a few M60 starters on the shelf so it wasn't a total loss. Wish I had noticed that before but oh well, it wasn't a complete pain to replace. Already swapping parts before it gets started for the first time lol.

As it sits.

Hopefully by next weekend I'll have it running.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    1994 540i/6, 1992 325ic
    Nice. Looking good. Good looking car too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12