Thread: Best way to deal with some of these rust issues intermittently.

My Cars
    1979 320i

Best way to deal with some of these rust issues intermittently.

I recently got my car back from receiving a tune-up as I didn't have the space or tools to effectively do it myself.

I believe that the drains running from the sunroof have clogged or become disconnected and lack of attention from the prior owner have created a large issue for me as the second owner. I believe this to be true as Ive found water in the glove box as well as rust eating away at the lower back half of the left window.

I'm sure I'm going to have to order new panels for both sides of the rear or find a donor to lift them from. Until I have the opportunity to do so what is the best way to minimize damage moving forward until I have an opportunity replace them.

I already intend to replace all seals around windows, sunroof and trunk. As you could imagine there is also rust around the tail lights as well. I'd imagine I could replace seals there as well.

Any insight is appreciated. First though was bondo. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    I would say to wire-brush the areas as clean as you can, use POR-15, and topcoat for UV protection. That should keep rust at bay until you get to the point where you do the 'final' bodywork. For areas with small holes, you can soak some fiberglass cloth in POR-15 for a temporary patch. Be prepared for bad rust at the base of the rear side windows, the pre-facelift cars have a chrome strip there that holds the water in.

My Cars
    1979 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by dreiermann View Post
    I would say to wire-brush the areas as clean as you can, use POR-15, and topcoat for UV protection. That should keep rust at bay until you get to the point where you do the 'final' bodywork. For areas with small holes, you can soak some fiberglass cloth in POR-15 for a temporary patch. Be prepared for bad rust at the base of the rear side windows, the pre-facelift cars have a chrome strip there that holds the water in.
    Appreciate the advice.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    That's a lot of deep rust in a lot of areas.
    There's a good chance there's quite a bit more throughout.
    I think I'd first do a through exam of the entire car to see if it's realistically saveable.
    Outside of that, I don't think I'd bother taking any intermediate steps, other than keeping the car as dry as possible. It's been rusting for 30+ years and is pretty far along. I don't think a little more time is going to make much difference.
    Either let it go, or start doing the work to repair it right (if that's even realistic).

My Cars
    1979 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalE21 View Post
    That's a lot of deep rust in a lot of areas.
    There's a good chance there's quite a bit more throughout.
    I think I'd first do a through exam of the entire car to see if it's realistically saveable.
    Outside of that, I don't think I'd bother taking any intermediate steps, other than keeping the car as dry as possible. It's been rusting for 30+ years and is pretty far along. I don't think a little more time is going to make much difference.
    Either let it go, or start doing the work to repair it right (if that's even realistic).
    The overall health of the car as far as the rust is concerned is moderate. It's going to need some tlc. Mostly just in the trunk, below the tail lights and the quarter panels has a bit of surface rust. Other than that just the problem areas that have been pointed out. Engine bay is good. Underbody of the car is Alin good health. One floorboard will need to have a section cut out and rewelded.

It's not like the whole car is falling apart. Just a few problematic areas. If I didn't think it was able to be saved I would have offloaded it a while ago.

My Cars
    1982 323i 2003 325it
    Well, if a donor car is something you need/want, have i got the deal for you!

Kidding, but only partly. I got a friend out in E Portland that has a lot of e21 parts cars that you can cut from, when/if you decide to go that route. He likes to sell the entire car itself, and prefers them hauled away prior to cutting... so if space is your issue, that might not work.

Just a thought.
    Past, Present, and Future

1974 BMW 2002tii (RIP)
    1995 BMW 325is w/ FULL S50 swap, track prepped (SOLD)
    1988 BMW 325ix Zinno/Black (RIP)
    1988 BMW 325ix Alpine/Black (Sold)
    1988 BMW 535is Alpine/Pacific Blue (Going Away...)
    1982 BMW 323i (Current Project/Paper Weight)
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    1979 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by MortyCrock View Post
    Well, if a donor car is something you need/want, have i got the deal for you!

Kidding, but only partly. I got a friend out in E Portland that has a lot of e21 parts cars that you can cut from, when/if you decide to go that route. He likes to sell the entire car itself, and prefers them hauled away prior to cutting... so if space is your issue, that might not work.

Just a thought.
    Appreciate that. We might have to go take a ride and check it out. I'd be down, working on the space issue as we speak, should have something solid by the end of the week.