Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided: Sport model not for me

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT

Decided: Sport model not for me

Like many on this forum, I was drawn to the E38 Sport for its features and appearance. It indeed corners remarkably well for a large sedan. But after 4 years of ownership, I feel my preferences changing.

I briefly owned an E39 sport and concluded after only a few months that its ride was simply too stiff. I thought an E38 sport would be less rough and so was not concerned when I made my E38 Sport purchase. It's ride is indeed smoother than an E39 sport, but...

I concurrently own an E39 with standard suspension and comfort seats. Every time I drive it I get this grudging feeling that I really prefer this set-up. I'm beginning to find the sport seats in my E38 downright confining. No, I'm not gaining weight. And yes, I know this seat is what's needed to hold you during hard cornering. But I don't corner THAT hard. But, but, but...the seats look so cool!

And that bloated three-spoke steering wheel complicates my grip when maneuvering in tight parking lots. I love the steptronic tranny but can live without it, especially since I don't use it much. And those beautiful 18" M-par wheels with staggered tires? Wow, they look good. But I'm not fond of the bill when I buy new tires.

I decided long ago that I would never own a BMW M-car, simply because they ride like bricks. I honestly don't know how people use these cars as daily drivers. Sure they look great, but they are very difficult (and expensive) to live with. I think many people buy them due to critical acclaim, and simply grin and bear the discomfort of having their teeth rattled. But not me. Auto journalists only drive cars for short periods of time. And of course, M-cars are more fun to throw around a track. So what do you expect them to say? I think M cars are like beautiful women who spend all your money and can't cook. Soon, you'll want out!

Taken together, I have decided to sell my Sport and buy a standard E38, and I'm currently shopping for a suitable car. I'm posting this info to benefit those who may be considering a Sport purchase. Yes they look great, but they compromise ride quality and comfort.

I look forward to enjoying a stock-riding E38 as BMW originally intended it: for comfortable, classy cruising.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Agree. I truly enjoy my 2001 E38 740i. I really don't care that it has basket-weave style tires. I can't see them when I am driving, but they are very comfy on the road.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    I've owned, and currently own, many of the top handling cars you can get without going exotic. My 2001 E38 iL not only does well for a large sedan, it does well period. Can it corner like my 951? No. But in almost all situations I've encountered in normal/sightly spirited diving it's done flawlessly.

I have the 951 for the kind of driving that pushes the limits. What my E38 has is the best ride I've ever experienced. I wouldn't trade it for anything! I have zero interest in modifying the suspension. I might like some better sways, but that wouldn't effect ride. The GTA sways on my Trans Am and the MO30 sways on my 951 did ruin me on serious sway bars. But otherwise I'm not only happy but impressed with the E38!!!

I don't know what BMW did on these, but they did it right!

The sport tranny does interest me, but once again, mine is just fine. I picked this up to be a cushy, feature rich, daily driver. I've never been more rewarded and satisfied with a car purchase in my life. Hands down. And that's coming from a sports car guy!

I think your assessment is spot on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 951Dreams; 07-08-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I couldnt be happier with my 740iL and I used to own a 911-996 and other more expensive and more exotic cars.
    When the engine is properly put together it pulls like a train when needed but still comfortable to use for everyday ride.
    Hard to find one in good shape though, at least I havent seen any good deals lately.
    Good luck!

My Cars
    95 740i, 92 ACSchnitzer
    My 740i is a dream for long trips. I love the room inside and I get to use my old cassettes. I'm about to lower it, so I'll let you know what changed.
    Lets get the party started before it's my bedtime.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    It's all up to preference. My car was a non-sport, but it just lacked feeling to me. Lowering springs for a firmer and more controlled ride got me where I want. It's a little firmer than my E39 sport, but oh so controlled for everyday driving on ramps, highways and local streets. And it doesn't feel too harsh at all to me. It chews up the highway and makes miles fly by. But that's my opinion.

I also have an E39 sport and it rides great. I find it very comfortable and handles great for a four door car. I wouldn't get it in a non-sport. The seats, suspension, and steptronic transmission are all winners to me. Again this is about preference. For those looking at acquiring one of these, I say drive both because that's the only way to know.
    Last edited by racer2086; 07-09-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    740i, 330i, A6
    My 01 is a non-Sport and I am very content with the ride. I did put 18 inch Style 32 wheels all around to get a sportier look. bmw740iquarterview.jpg

I like the heated steering wheel.
    2001 BMW 740i - Anthracite Gray - Style 32 Wheels --------- 2004 BMW 330i - Silver Grey Metallic
    Convenience Pkg - Cold Weather Pkg - PDC ------------------- Sport Package - Auto - Mroof - Hseats

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I didn't like the ride of my 740il with the standard suspension. Too soft and bouncy. The shorty sport is perfect. The active comfort seats I will admit were more comfortable than the somewhat restrictive sport seats.

But everyone has preferences. Maybe one of each would be best.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I didn't like the ride of my 740il with the standard suspension. Too soft and bouncy. The shorty sport is perfect. The active comfort seats I will admit were more comfortable than the somewhat restrictive sport seats.

But everyone has preferences. Maybe one of each would be best.
    I've heard that before. I wonder if mine has had some upgrades I don't know about. My ride isn't stiff, but it's firm and not at all bouncy. And that's even compared to my 951 that feels like a go-cart. You feel pebbles on the road with that thing.

So maybe I'm not comparing to a stock setup? My ride is awesome, but not in any way floaty, bouncy, or soft. Firm but smooth is what I'd call it. Even pushing it hard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    From someone that has had several BMWs - 1 Bavaria, 3 2002's, 1 e21 3 series. 1 86 L7 and then bought a 2001 e38 740 Sport new and still have it and happy with it for what it is..... I wound up with over $50K in my e21 which I had from new in 83 to 2008. I drove it almost 7K miles before pulling the 4 cylinder - replaced with a Korman Stage II six cylinder, doubled the hp, changed the tranny and all of the suspension and brakes, changed the seats and added power steering. It was a play car for Autocross and "spirited driving". The e38 is a different animal entirely - a sporty highway cruiser. After selling the e21 I missed the spirited driving, something the 740 can't do well. The 740 was half way between the L7 and the e21. it doesn't fit either very well..... For this reason I recently bought a 2007 335i. I remember these first came out but never thought much about them. I now recall a former member on the e38 board that bought one new, chipped it and raved about how fast and fun it was. I now know what he was talking about - and I haven't chipped it - YET! I rode in a 535 with stabilization control during a local BMW cruise before buying this 335 - I was impressed! That thing was a sports car in "fat skins" - fairly quick but very good on the crooked roads - just flat and glued to the road. I liked the feel so I started looking... I found my 335i at a deal I could not pass up - I do regret that it does not have stabilization control. That would have been nice! My point here is - a single car can not be everything - at least that well!.. Respect it for what it is and enjoy that first, if it is not satisfactory, build or buy something else. Don't complain about what it isn't!!! I will add that in my years, now 75 of them, I have owned everything from my first car, a 39 Chevy Sedan Deluxe -$50.00 at estate sale, a 57 Chevy convert, a 58 348 Impala 2 door HT, 6 Corvettes- newest 67 Coupe, 3 Chevelles(64 & 2- 67's), A dozen or so company cars and various other A to B cars...and 2 motorcycles.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, '13 Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    I concurrently own an E39 with standard suspension and comfort seats. Every time I drive it I get this grudging feeling that I really prefer this set-up. I'm beginning to find the sport seats in my E38 downright confining. No, I'm not gaining weight. And yes, I know this seat is what's needed to hold you during hard cornering. But I don't corner THAT hard. But, but, but...the seats look so cool!
    I had a standard '98 740iL. Worked good, but better after the H&R stage 2s. But I have a lot of twisty roads around me, and on BMW club tours we tend to go pretty fast on said twisty roads, so... yeah, the Sport seats are better and the Sport suspension is still better than the iL.

And that bloated three-spoke steering wheel complicates my grip when maneuvering in tight parking lots. I love the steptronic tranny but can live without it, especially since I don't use it much. And those beautiful 18" M-par wheels with staggered tires? Wow, they look good. But I'm not fond of the bill when I buy new tires.
    My new tires on M parallels were $400 for the set of 4. Tire rack: Sumitomo HTR P/S A03 ultra high performance all seasons that grip outstanding in the dry or wet, and even work decent in the snow. Not much more than standard tires on 16" rims. You don't need Michelin Plot Sport Cups to have decent tires. And I have zero problem with the 3 spoke wheel in parking lots or anywhere.

Yes they look great, but they compromise ride quality and comfort.

I look forward to enjoying a stock-riding E38 as BMW originally intended it: for comfortable, classy cruising.
    After over 130 cars, from most major manufacturers, I disagree. BMW was known for its sport sedans and the Shorty Sport is the perfect blend of comfort for long distance cruising and sporty handling for twisty roads. Being in Texas, you probably don't have many of those to deal with, and have even longer straight roads to drive on, so yeah, for YOU, the Sport is probably a bit much. But overall, compared to every other car out there, the Sport reigns supreme. I regret having to sell mine, but I'm sure I'll be back in a few years. It's just that good.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
    I regret having to sell mine, but I'm sure I'll be back in a few years. It's just that good.
    Wait, what? Is yours for sale or is it sold? I know you were wavering a while back but thought you decided to keep it?
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, '13 Volt
    yeah I'm in a stuck spot. I'm either going to tear it up to continue to commute in it or I'm going to watch it deteriorate in the driveway while I commute in the "new" electric commuter car. And we tend to take the convertible out on the weekends for fun drives. I LOVE this car, but it's a liquid asset in that I can get cash for it. You'll notice that I'm not really advertising it though... Still, not sure where it fits in the driveway now, with the ZHP convertible and an MGB in the garage, and the Volt and tow rig out in the driveway, and this parked on the street. Insurance to keep it will be a pain if I'm not using the car, too.

Maybe when I come back to E38s I'll go with an '01 750iL Sport. I've never had a V12 car before...

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Your back must be really sensitive. I hate really hard rides and got get away from them as much as I can, but I would never ever call the 7 sport rough. Everyone has their own feelings and preferences I guess.

Also not sure you have driven a newer M car lately, they are defintely not teeth rattling, especially with the EDC. My M3 rides better then my old E90 330 by quite a bit. No where near the ride of a 7, but its not like riding in a lowered civic, its quite liveable.

That being said, why dont you just swap your sport shocks and springs for the standard car, espcially since you know the history of your car vs one you would buy off the street?

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
    ...the Sport seats are better and the Sport suspension is still better than the iL....
    These are statements we all make - innocently - that are misleading because they lack context. "Better" than what? Swiss cheese? Maybe. A hole in the head. Definitely. Despite referencing iL models there's still no context for "better".

The point of reference (context) is comfort. So the question becomes: "Do Sport models have more comfortable seats and suspensions than iL's?" Here the answer is surely "no". In this context, are sport seats "better" than comfort seats? No. Are sport suspensions "better" than standard? No. Are M cars "better" than standard? No.

Change the context to "sport handling" and the answer becomes yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    ..I would never ever call the 7 sport rough...
    Context? As I said, it's softer than an E39 sport, but rougher than my stock E39 for sure...whose ride I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    ..why dont you just swap your sport shocks and springs for the standard car...
    ...don't want to break up a perfectly good Sport. Besides, there's more to it than just suspension. As I said, it's also seats, steering wheel, tires, etc.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    E38
    One thing I've found: they your tire pressures at 32/35. That makes an absolute world of difference in ride. I hate how it rides at the ridiculously-recommended 35/41.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    are slow
    E39 Sport seats are downright uncomfortable, the M5's upholstery makes it just a little better. E38 Contours are alright I guess.

As soon as people got the option to equip sport suspension E39s with the normal seats (2003 M-Sport) they did it in droves.
    Last edited by XAlt; 07-11-2018 at 07:46 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
    One thing I've found: they your tire pressures at 32/35. That makes an absolute world of difference in ride. I hate how it rides at the ridiculously-recommended 35/41.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Agree with that for sure - never had my tires that high in 17 years that I have owned mine. 32 - 34 about as high as they have been.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    E39 Sport seats are downright uncomfortable, the M5's upholstery makes it just a little better. E38 Contours are alright I guess.

As soon as people got the option to equip sport suspension E39s with the normal seats (2003 M-Sport) they did it in droves.
    I kinda of like the seats in the '07 335i that I just bought - has the sport option, they are definitely narrower than sport seats in the e38 tho.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I've owned a 740iL with 18 in MPars and Sport springs in the front only. Ride is not too tight and not the mushy stick ride of a standard e38.

I also just got a Sport. It's definitely tighter and I like the ride, but i know what some are saying that the comfort is not as good as the standard e38.

I also have a e39 Sport. Tighter than the e38 Sport and although not a go cart, it leans more in that direction.

The e38 Sport I think is the perfect blend of e38 and e39 Sport.

On the seats, I can ride on my e38 Comfort seats all day for hours, no problem. When I purchased the e38 Sport I had to drive it home for over 5 hours. I quickly figured out my ars on the Sport seats was only good for about 3 hours. Same on the e39 Sport seats, which I think are the same.

Like Darth said, each car has its purpose. Choose your poison.

My Cars
    E38
    I've found the Sport seats to be punishing on your butt if they're not adjusted correctly. All these years owning the car and honing in the driver position lets me sit for 5 hours without a sore butt! But, I can't stress enough about those tire pressures...
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    I've never sat in e38/9 sport seats, but I had two e36 convertibles, one with manual comfort seats, the other with sport seats, and on long drives the comfort seats were just that - more comfortable.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The e38 (with V8 or V12 engines) sport seats are the 18-way sport comfort (aka contour in Europe) seats. In addition to the basic 10-way electric seat features...they include the 2-way upper articulating back and 4-way lumbar features as well as the 2-way thigh extension and additional as well as extended side bolstering up into the headrest region. They also have a "hard" map pocket on the rear.

18-way sport comfort seats (aka contour seat)

The e39 (and e38s with I6 engine) sport seats are the 12-way sport seats that have the 2-way thigh extension feature and additional side bolstering and slimmer headrest. And they have a "soft/elastic" map pocket on the rear.

12-way sport seats

So just an FYI to clarify that they are slightly different in their offering of features...but still have additional side bolstering and leather panel cuts (like the French seam down the middle) that can make them uncomfortable for some.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-14-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I got to drive a well-sorted 01 740i Sport recently, and it rode like a cloud compared to my 540it... for whatever reason my 540it rides like an absolute brick, despite having tire pressures at 32psi and with Koni shocks set to full soft. Sometimes I wish it had a smoother ride, but I make it work by going really fast because then the firm ride actually works in my favor.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I love everything about the sport pkg. The comfort seats in my 98iL were comfier but the sport seats hug you way better when cornering fast vs sliding side to side in the regular comfort seats...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    I love everything about the sport pkg. The comfort seats in my 98iL were comfier but the sport seats hug you way better when cornering fast vs sliding side to side in the regular comfort seats...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
    Have you ever sat in a 335i, my 07 with sport package are NICE! Almost too narrow - hard to get the seat belt fastened around my fat ass! But I love them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast