Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M50B30 code 1222 at WOT only

My Cars
    1995 330IS

M50B30 code 1222 at WOT only

Hey guys,
    I Have been scouring the net to try and find a similar issue but cant seem to pin this down.

Starting with a m50b25
    I did a stroker build over the winter, While I was at it I decked the block and should be around an 11.2:1 CR.
    I also modified the M54b30 Cams to work in my head when I did the swap so I am at 240 in 244 ex duration
    and its topped off with raceland headers and a full exhaust with wideband.

The Car ran really well out of the gate.
    I swapped in some 21.5 lb injectors and ran for a few weeks on some b25 chip tune(413 ecu)
    Had some pretty lean AFRs at times, especially when I put my foot down and the RPMs made it to 5K, the car was falling flat on its face and tossing the 1222 code, when I lifted it went away.
    I picked up a custom setup ebay chip(probably not the best but it fit the budget to get it running), hoping that would cure it.
    The car ran much better but still got 1222 at wot after 5k
    Going wot from a lower RPM and climbing up does not toss a code(until I hit 5k), but the AFR is considerably leaner than any other time.
    If I ease off the throttle a hair maybe 7/8 throttle, the code goes away and the car runs up fine.
    The car has a fresh o2 sensor, and I believe the MAF is good after swapping with a known working one.
    I have smoke tested the intake and found no leaks.

Any ideas?

My Cars
    '94 325i, '93 325is
    The tune needs to be matched to the injectors. Is it?
    '94 325i Sedan, Arctic Gray: UUC LTW FW, EVO 3 and DSSR, +.020 Maxsil pistons, ASC delete, Eibach shocks/springs, 16" contour reps 238k
    '93 325is Coupe, Schwarz, work beater 299k
    '89 325i Vert, Alpine White: 5spd swapped. Sold
    '04 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD, In progress swapping to M50/G250, http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...nna-25i-build/
    '05 Volvo V70 R, 6mt, mostly stock, kid hauler 200k Sold
    '85 Toyota LandCruiser: Lifted, gas hog. 205k

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Have you tested the fuel pressure? Perhaps the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator aren't working properly and cause the fuel pressure to go too low, such that even the higher capacity injectors (stock M50B25 is 17.5 lbs, correct? so almost 23% more flow) can't compensate it. If that MAF is giving the correct signals and the injectors output more than stock, and you still get "too lean" codes (and you see it's too lean with your wideband O2), then I'd suspect the fuel pressure. You can also check the coolant and intake air temp sensors for correct values with INPA, or disconnecting, and measuring with multimeter and looking up the values in the Bentley manual. But too low fuel pressure would be my first guess.

With a N/A engine, the risk isn't that high, but you don't want to lean out too much at high loads/WOT, especially longer runs, because it can cause damage..
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-05-2018 at 07:39 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    The tune is matched to the 21.5# injectors

The car is lean when the code pops up, sorry if I didnt Express that well.

Fuel pressure is where I am headed next

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    Fuel pressure came back with 3.5 bar following the TIS instructions.

I took it one step further and did a pull with the gauge taped to my window and got about 50-55 psi peak on a pull(hard to be accurate at the angle it was at)

For Kicks the other day I swapped Temp sensors on the block with each other, and saw no noticeable difference. But I'm not sure they are the same sensor, so that wasn't likely a valid test.

I will give them a quick resistance check though.

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    with the Intake mani at 140 degrees F I got .82 KilliOhms on the rear head temp sensor and on the front one(blue sensor) I got 365 OHMS

And out of the IAT i got 2.2 kohms at 76 deg F
    Last edited by Dwilson357; 07-06-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added IAT result

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    I think the DME coolant sensor and the temp gauge coolant sensor are different models that give different Ohms for different temps.. With the M52 (where it's a dual temp sender) that's the case at least. So swapping them out will upset the DME and show wrong values in the temp gauge.

You'd have to check the Bentley manual to see which Ohms values correspond to which temperature ranges for all three sensors..
    The temp gauge sensor we can leave out of the equation for now, because that's only for showing the temp in the instrument panel, and doesn't affect injection calculations at all.

Can you do a test run with the MAF disconnected. Can you see if it still throws the code and if your wideband O2 still registerers lean conditions?

P.S. Here is one table, which I think can be used for the (black?) DME temp sensor: http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/medi...2569739pdf.pdf
    So I think it's okay, registering about 50 degrees C (834 Ohm = 50 degrees C).
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-07-2018 at 06:50 AM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    With no maf, car ran super leaN, crappy.

I disconnected the vanos dokdnoud and did about 15 minutes of driving, towards the end it started running better in wot st the end....could bad vanos be the problem?

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Not sure if Vanos could cause problems like this.. Probably not, but I'm not sure..
    Vanos does influence how much the engine can breath, but that would be compensated by higher/lower MAF readings, so I think it shouldn't upset the adaptation so much that it would give an error code.

By the way: I checked the IAT resistance and it registers OK Bentley says 2.1-2.9 kOhm for 68 deg F (20 deg C).

Odd, though that without MAF it ran so bad.. Is the Throttle position sensor okay (should show a linear transition between 1k and 4k Ohm between pin 1 and 2)? Or, perhaps the chip tune didn't include updated maps for running without MAF (so it falls back to maps, assuming it's still a stock M50B25 with stock injectors?)
    My chipped M52 323i runs perfectly fine without MAF.. In fact, it's quite difficult to tell if MAF is connected or not.
    Perhaps the M50 DME isn't as advanced as the M52 DME and it doesn't cope too well without MAF?

Not that many possible causes left that I can think of.
    The DME uses RPM, MAF, intake air temp to calculate injector output, and adjust a bit for coolant temp input, and perhaps the TPS.
    So if all the inputs are fine, I don't know where else to look? The error also doesn't get thrown that easily, only when it's off by quite a percentage.
    Perhaps the chip tune isn't correct after all? Does the ebay seller get good reviews?

Update: Another thought.. Might you be maxing out the MAF sensor? As 5000 rpm is close to the torque peak and at WOT the M50B30 with the special cams might be sucking more air than the stock MAF can register? So the MAF would peak out at some value and the DME will calculate the amount of fuel to inject based on a too low MAF value, causing it to lean out.. Then it receives feedback from O2 that it leans out and tries to increase injector timing, but stumbles as it reaches the limit of what the DME is allowed to enrich the mixture?

Update 2: Probably not.. M50 MAF should take about 350 HP I've read in some forum..
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-07-2018 at 08:20 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    I just watched this youtube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZPdmn1pvw (be sure to activate English subtitles)

It's a bit technical, as it explains how to install bigger injectors and afterwards manually tune the MS41 M52 engine DME.
    At 10:00 he starts to explain the tuning process.

What I discovered is that there is a table for WOT enrichment.. So, if the TPS isn't working correctly, the DME can't tell if you're going WOT and can't apply this 10% to 20% correction.
    Also, that the car runs so poorly without MAF, when the DME relies on the TPS sensor to calculate air flow, is another indication something might be wrong with your TPS..

Vanos correction table shows only small corrections, so a bad Vanos shouldn't trigger the error code, I'd say.
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-07-2018 at 08:42 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    When you go wot the car will not use some sensors anymore like the maf. It instead looks up values similar to what it does in open loop. I’m certain that you need a full remap for your lean values and at least your wot table is wrong.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    if your tune is for a 2.5;, then thats the issue hands down. whether tthe tune is for larger injectors and cams on a 2.5l is irrelivent. you need a tune for the cams and injectors on your 3l. useing the stock 2.5l tune on a 3.l with the 2.5l injectors and cams is one thing, but having a full built to the hilt 3.l running on a ecu for a 2.5 is expecting some issues somewhere. an ecu can only compensate so much for scenarios it was designed for. if you did get a b30 tune, and i missed something in previous posts, id suggest plugs, checking coils and boots, useing only premium gas from the same pump incase theres any irregularities in the fuel. also, make sure your running atleast 10,40 oil. 10,30 or the like can cause some issues with vanos activation when paired with large cams on the b30 ive found.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    The tune is supposed to match my current setup

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Can you check the TPS resistance (should go from 1k Ohm to 4k Ohm in a linear fashion).
    I think if the TPS is dead, the DME won't know you're going WOT and won't apply the hefty 10-20% fuel addition.. And then you run in trouble because the DME can't compensate that much..

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    The tps checks out good 1.2kohms to 4.2 at wot...I'm leaning towards tune, im gonna borrow that s50 e u for a day and see if I net any different results.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    OK.. Good luck.. I'm out of other options, so the tune is a good suspect.

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    Quote Originally Posted by ed323i View Post
    OK.. Good luck.. I'm out of other options, so the tune is a good suspect.
    Thanks for the help!
    I just needed a sounding board to try and make sure I'm sane before I got hollering at the tuner.

That being said I have some tuning experience with Mitsubishis and some subaru stuff.
    How crazy is it to horse around with the BMW OBD1 stuff?
    Is it just getting INPA, the OBD2 to 16 pin connector and go?

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Is it just getting INPA, the OBD2 to 16 pin connector and go?
    For the later E36's (I think 96+ OBD2) it's that easy (with some exceptions like the instrument cluster).

For the M50 OBD1 you need a really old laptop with a real serial port (usb serial won't work) and the special ADS interface, if I'm correct.
    So quite a bit more complex to get it going, and it costs a lot more to get the ADS interface.
    But then you can connect to all the modules, also the instrument cluster (for example to recalibrate the temp gauge).

For tuning purposes, if you could get the engine to run on an MS41 328i DME, you could do all the tuning yourself. With the M50 DME's (either Bosch or Siemens) this isn't possible.
    I was really impressed after watching the video linked earlier. Here some more: https://www.youtube.com/user/sipasema/videos . Search for the videos with "how to tune ms41" in the title.
    I've before tuned an E28 528i myself using my own custom Megasquirt installation. Was great fun and the gains were impressive. It would launch to 100 km/h in 7.0-7.2s instead of the factory time of 8.4s, and the gas response increased a lot.

Alas, converting everything to OBD2 MS41 DME isn't that simple.. But being able to tune everything yourself is a BIG advantage. Also, even if you decide to let someone else tune the car, it would be a lot cheaper than with the M50, because of all the logging and reflash capabilities of the MS41 that the M50 DMEs lack.
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-09-2018 at 01:02 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    Hello been awhile since I posted. I recently to build a 3L M50 Stroker all ARP hardware and all the good stuff. And Eaton m122h supercharger presently running 18 lb of boost. On my 93 325is OBD1. 413 Hardware 623 bin and ostrich 2 emulator and tuner pro software. I believe your initial problem is being caused by your m a s maxing out. You went up a half a liter in engine size higher flow and cams and exhaust. Your original stock Mas cannot flow enough air so once it reaches a certain point and its output voltage is a little over 4.5 volts your DME interpret That as a problem. Upgrade to the 89 mm Mas and retune for that. Your stock Mas is only going to register a little bit higher than 800 kg hr. air flow. As it maxes out your engine is drawing in more air and your ECU doesn't know this. 89 mm will register over a thousand kilograms per hour. That will only take care of the one problem. Now since you have more airflow into the larger displacement engine you now need more fuel then the 17 lb stock injectors can handle. With your modifications and the fact that you need a retune completely I would suggest 24 lb per hour injectors unless you plan on boosting your engine. Bottom line 89 mm Mas and 24 lb injectors have a chip burnt. And you should be good to go.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Greenday694; 07-09-2018 at 11:49 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Are you sure about the MAF being a problem, as the MAF is also used in the US M3.. So 240 HP shouldn't be a problem.. With turbo you might get into trouble, but N/A, with a setup and HP-output comparable to the S50 I wouldn't expect trouble.. See https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...155&series=E36 for a cross reference of the MAF sensor.
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    I'm skeptical of the maf being the issue for the same reasons. That being said I can check the voltage pretty easily on the return line during a run.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Just a little addition to my thought that perhaps the TPS would be bad, because the car wouldn't run properly without MAF.
    I just learned that the tuning tables in ECU for the alpha-N mode, which is used when no MAF is connected (only looking at TPS angle and RPM to calculate air and fuel), are well hidden, and in many cases a tune will not include an update to these tables. With the MS41 M52 DME I believe the alpha-N tables haven't even been found yet (at least that's what I read in a forum). Because alpha-N is based on a very static situation, a completely stock engine of a certain cc, certain intake air flow, certain exhaust flow, certain cams, etc, the alpha-N tables in the DME have to be updated for every little change you make to the engine setup. New exhaust manifold -> new tune needed. Change in engine capacity -> new tune needed. New cams -> new tune needed. So, no wonder a heavily tuned engine won't run with alpha-N (unless the tuner did take the time to also tune these tables, which, with a cheap ebay chip isn't probable).

So, in general, if you've updated anything that changes air flow to the engine and to the exhaust, running without MAF will be troublesome. Small changes might still work, because the O2 sensors can compensate a bit, but in general it gets problematic quite soon.

I know, a bit technical, and won't help you in finding a solution to your problem, but I thought some might find it interesting.
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-20-2018 at 06:51 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    1995 330IS
    Interesting, that makes alot of sense actually as far as the car running like crap without the MAF.

Thanks for all the help Ed!

I did a few pulls with different MAFs and found I am maxing out the stock MAF.
    When the code comes up I'm at 4.8 volts.
    I am in contact with the tuner to see if he will update the maps for a 3.5" MAF and see what happens from there.
    What elbows do people that swap to 3.5" use?

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    OK.. Interesting. So, Greenday694 was right after all.

In a way that's good news, because it would mean you're crossing the 240HP barrier, as the US M3 uses the same MAF sensor, and I assume they didn't reprogram the M3 DME to accept voltages in the 4.8-5.0V range. Or would they?
    Last edited by ed323i; 08-03-2018 at 05:58 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    As it turns out, b30 strokers running on stock 413dme will run significantly lean. 02 swnaor lean codes are unavoidable. Even when there is no code, the engine is still lean for its displacement. I suggest to get a tune with the stroker setup every time, and to not ever consider running on just a 2.5l tune. Alot of damage is possible.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast