Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does a airco radiator fit in a non airco 325i without extra modifications?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    The bumper has a grill between the fog light holes. Large radiator cars you can see through it, small radiator cars it may be blanked off so you can't see through it
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    The bumper has a grill between the fog light holes. Large radiator cars you can see through it, small radiator cars it may be blanked off so you can't see through it
    Yes, i have had a look.
    Removing the blanks you said, would you remove the complete grill.. or you replace it with an airco grill? Modiying it by cutting out the plastic with something is an option too..

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Check WhatsApp.

Maybe it doesn't come off. Maybe a dremil?

M3 / 318 IS bumper time?
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Check WhatsApp.

Maybe it doesn't come off. Maybe a dremil?

M3 / 318 IS bumper time?
    Nah, the blanks are integrated (molded from the same piece of plastic) with the grill.. they are not removable

The last option sounds good !

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Or, just leave it be. You've already added cooling capacity by installing the larger radiator (even though it's not directly in the air flow, it still helps). And you're in a moderate/cold sea climate (I know about the 35 degrees C the last days, but that's not common at all in the Netherlands). By opening up the grill you'll get even more cooling capacity, but you'll probably never need it. If you lived in Seville, Spain (European heat record of 52 degrees C / 125F) or in the Sahara, then I'd do it, but otherwise, I think it's waste of time and money.. Like I said, even with the smaller radiator, your cooling is probably better than E36s with the large radiator AND the A/C radiator in front of it, blocking air flow, and people tend to turn on the A/C when it's hot, so adding a substantial amount of heat.

But, if you like the cosmetic upgrade, then, by all means, install the M3/is bumper, and you'll automatically get that extra cooling capacity.
    Last edited by ed323i; 07-28-2018 at 06:06 PM.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by ed323i View Post
    But, if you like the cosmetic upgrade, then, by all means, install the M3/is bumper, and you'll automatically get that extra cooling capacity.
    Or as an option the 328 sport bumper - Basically M3 except for the slats so in-keeping with the non-M3 as an upgrade without being a "wannabe". Probably rare though.

Add some sport door mouldings and a diffuser and mmmmm done.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Ha, found the bracket part nr on the bottom of the radiator that i lost:

Called an air duct bracket.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...32#51718135939

Seems from pics and youtube that nobody has it anymore.

Im a bit of a perfectionist and am curious what its for, doesnt seem important.

My Cars
    1997 BMW E36 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by klaas View Post
    Im a bit of a perfectionist
    I noticed ;-)
    It's good to have perfectionists around, because they often find stuff others would overlook. And sometimes that can be quite interesting.

What sometimes helps is to look at other translations. On the top right I click "Deutsch".

3 = Halter Luftführung
    2 = Luftführung vorne, only for cars without A/C (photo: 51711977046 )

So, how I see it, is that when an E36 doesn't have A/C, then there is no A/C radiator and no A/C Aux fan in front of the coolant radiator.
    Then, they install a relatively large air duct. Probably to allow the air to flow the best towards the radiator. Perhaps it also forces the air to the surface of the smaller non-AC coolant radiator.
    Number 3, the air duct bracket, somehow helps attaching/mounting the nr 2 bracket, or it further helps with the air flow (seems negligible).

I think all E36s have A/C in Spain, and I think in the US too. So, perhaps you can locate the air duct and perhaps see if it somehow attaches to the bracket you're talking about, or if it might in any way help the airflow.

Here it's a bit easier to see that part 3 is only used in cars without A/C: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3..._trim/air_duct .

So, that probably didn't help that much ;-) .. But it definitely seems like a part that won't make any measurable difference on anything. As opposed to for example the air duct for the front brakes, to help them cool. Those are important.

1997 E36 BMW 323i
    (European) 275k km (171k miles), with following small mods:

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ed323i View Post
    I noticed ;-)
    It's good to have perfectionists around, because they often find stuff others would overlook. And sometimes that can be quite interesting.

What sometimes helps is to look at other translations. On the top right I click "Deutsch".

3 = Halter Luftführung
    2 = Luftführung vorne, only for cars without A/C (photo: 51711977046 )

So, how I see it, is that when an E36 doesn't have A/C, then there is no A/C radiator and no A/C Aux fan in front of the coolant radiator.
    Then, they install a relatively large air duct. Probably to allow the air to flow the best towards the radiator. Perhaps it also forces the air to the surface of the smaller non-AC coolant radiator.
    Number 3, the air duct bracket, somehow helps attaching/mounting the nr 2 bracket, or it further helps with the air flow (seems negligible).

I think all E36s have A/C in Spain, and I think in the US too. So, perhaps you can locate the air duct and perhaps see if it somehow attaches to the bracket you're talking about, or if it might in any way help the airflow.

Here it's a bit easier to see that part 3 is only used in cars without A/C: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3..._trim/air_duct .

So, that probably didn't help that much ;-) .. But it definitely seems like a part that won't make any measurable difference on anything. As opposed to for example the air duct for the front brakes, to help them cool. Those are important.
    I dont have the time to reply to all you said.

Im sure the bracket doesnt attach to anything but the bottom part of the radiator (i dont have an AC though) all e36 radiators seem to have two slots on the bottom it will click in.

I cant see it has any airflow function, even though its part is in the 'air duct' category on the bmw parts stuff. Its just a piece of flat plastic: https://static.baza.farpost.ru/drom/...90186_bulletin

Ive read some quite in depth stuff about aerodynamics (cos i like f1) and maybe with 340 on a straight this matters (the radiator is not flat at the bottom), but i cant believe bmw would up their production costs for this.

I think its just to protect the bottom from stones hitting the bottom and causing a leak.
    Which is not so useful anymore because with the airco radiator it sticks out anyway from the airduct and can be hit from the front too.

Which might be the only downside of upgrading to an airco radiator... will lookup if there is a fan shroud or something which completely covers the airco rad.
    Last edited by klaas; 08-01-2018 at 09:55 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    My 328is fine on the aircon rad and we're having the same heat wave and I haven't got the aircon auxiliary fan either because it burnt out.

Also I coded out the 20 odd degree C dead spot in the centre of the temp gauge so mine reads properly so I do see minor needle variations
    Im very interested in how you coded out that dead spot from the temp guage!!!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Well first you need to configure your profiles in NCS expert in line with the link I sent you, and also download a copy of NCSdummy but don't get too excited because if you have the original dash chances are you have to 1) customise NCSdummy a bit to see the proper values 2) add some new values to the templates. All easy enough

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Here's some history
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...tion-kit/page8
    It's easier than it sounds once understanding has sunk in

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123