Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CSi #126 Refurb Progress

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    Time for a quick update - still seat related. When I got the car, several of the plastic seat components were broken. The clamshell belt assembly covers on both sides, the outer shell on the driver's side and the pivot point cover on the driver's side. In addition to that, the back cover was broken on the passenger's side.

All but the clamshell parts were still available - though it took some time to get here. The clamshell pieces were the last to arrive (from Lithuania) and that allowed me to start putting it all back together.

The driver's seat is fully done. A good cleaning and conditioning is where I started, as seen above. Then I spot dyed a couple trouble spots - but not nearly as much as I thought I'd need.

Here's a shot from the dealer from when I bought it:

And here are a couple from yesterday - all wrapped up:

I'll move on to the passenger's seat today - but with it being the seat back, more of the seat has to come apart.

After that, it's on to the center console. Won't be long before she's done.

As much fun as I'm having with this refurb, I have accepted my role in this CSi's history. I'm not the long-term final owner - just the guy that attempts to bring her back to her former glory. I don't know when I'm going to sell but I do know I will. The clear coat on the top of the rear bumper is gone and there is a front bumper corner scrape that needs to be dealt with - so I'll likely handle those two prior to officially listing it. So if you'd like to be the long-term steward of #126, feel free to reach out.

I'll post more shots when I get the passenger seat done and follow up shortly after with the center console updates.
    1995 BMW M3 (Avus), 1994 BMW 840Ci (Avus), 1994 BMW 740i (Oxford), 2005 BMW X5 4.8iS (BSM)
    Gone (Too many to mention)

My Cars
    BMW
    Love a salvation story, and this is making out to be a great one!

-James

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    James - by now, everyone at ECS should know me by name. I think I've placed 15 orders in the last 2 months - I keep thinking of things I need!
    1995 BMW M3 (Avus), 1994 BMW 840Ci (Avus), 1994 BMW 740i (Oxford), 2005 BMW X5 4.8iS (BSM)

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Seats look great. Well done.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    not enough
    Great results man! Good time to go to town with leather cleaners/conditioners and UV protectants!
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    What leather dye did you end up using. The results look GREAT
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    Hey Rog - I bought a dye kit from ColourLock. The kit I got came with a cleaner, the dye and two protectants (I think). The dye goes on with a set of sponges they provide and you essentially blot it on. I was really, really impressed with the results. For the faded bolster, it really did make it look nearly new.

I considered dropping $2k in new seat leathers. So glad I didn't go that route. The new plastic bits alongside the refreshed leather make it all look fantastic.

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by mightydave View Post
    Hey Rog - I bought a dye kit from ColourLock. The kit I got came with a cleaner, the dye and two protectants (I think). The dye goes on with a set of sponges they provide and you essentially blot it on. I was really, really impressed with the results. For the faded bolster, it really did make it look nearly new.

I considered dropping $2k in new seat leathers. So glad I didn't go that route. The new plastic bits alongside the refreshed leather make it all look fantastic.
    I just wanted to second the recommendation for the ColourLock products. I recently bought the dye kit for my X5, which has ivory white leather seats, and used it today. I was skeptical, thinking that the ivory white would be hard to match after four years of wear, sun, etc -- all I can say is 'wow!' The center armrest and the side bolster both had significant wear, and now they look like new. I also used the cleaner on the rest of the seats (which were just dirty), and they really look 1000% better. I can't wait to use the cleaner on my other cars' seats (the new CSi seats in particular, while in good shape, could use a good cleaning). ColourLock has both a 'Strong' cleaner and a 'Mild' cleaner -- I bought the kit with the strong version, because I wanted to get the X5 seats really clean before re-dying, but I'm probably going to get some of the mild version for my other cars. I've used Leatherique products in the past, and they were good, but I'm really sold on the ColourLock. It's easier to use than the Leatherique dye, and end result is better in my opinion.

Mike Barrett
    1996 850Ci Oxford Green/Light Silvergray
    1994 850CSi Hellrot/Silvergray and Light Silvergray
    Last edited by mbarrett635; 08-12-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Curious to see how it holds up.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    Just another quick update on the status of #126 - she's coming along nicely.

I had my PDR guy come by and get the litany of door dings resolved. It's always amazing to watch those guys work - and amazing to see the final results. I don't have any good before and after photos of the door dings, but the impact was significant.

The seats are now fully done. The leather looks great and the many broken plastic bits have all been replaced. I also replaced the driver's seat motor which was starting to groan.

I recently turned my attention to the center console. My CSi had several wood pieces that were cracked or chipped, which made me crazy. I know the stuff is no longer available (along with half that parts I've tried sourcing) and the only reasonable resolution seemed to be Taylor's water transfer method. Without a good option for that work, I went ahead and decided my resolution would be to mix the good wood I have (door panels, lower trim panels and ashtray cover) with the black pieces I could source. In addition, the PO had put a custom knob on the center console by the e-brake handle, so I decided to replace the whole darned thing.

I also decided to rid the car of the aftermarket stereo setup and return it to a factory setup. The aftermarket stereo had a crap ton of wiring in the center console and up the back seating area - which I removed. I also found an old radar detector in the front bumper and a bunch of wiring up to a custom light panel. Somehow it was all tied to that custom knob. Regardless, it's all gone now.

Here's the before:

Notice the knob remnant?

And here are the after shots

I also ordered some Coco mats - which look great.

I'm pretty much done with the interior now. Just a couple things to tidy up on the exterior - the front and rear bumpers need some attention. Then it'll be officially looking for its new owner.

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Looking good, Dave.
    Reminds me that I should really get PDR done on my doors - just a very few, almost imperceptible dings (4 in all), but they do bug me. I like that they can do it without any dismantling of the door enclosure - just lowering the windows is all that's needed for access.
    BTW I think the interior of your car looks great without the wood trim on the console!
    Current:
    1994 E31 850CSi Sterlingsilber/Anthracite Buffalo

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E23 M745iA Arctic Blue
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris
    1976 E3 3.0 Si Arctic Blue

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    mightydave -- Your wheels look great. What did you do to address the big gouge depicted in the 5th photo of your 1st post?

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    Sniff38 - I refinished the wheels myself and got that gouge dealt with as much as I could. It's still there, just not as pronounced. The wheels are presentable for sure and the covers are in excellent shape - but that hasn't stopped my from looking at a set of M parallels as an alternative set.

My Cars
    not enough
    Where did you get the coco mats from?
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    Hey all - she's officially up for sale - at BF only for now.

CSi #126 for sale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12