Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSi #126 Refurb Progress

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5

CSi #126 Refurb Progress

Happy 4th Everyone!

As some of you know, I acquired CSi #126 about six weeks ago. It was a one-owner, well-maintained example that was sitting (albeit briefly) on the original selling dealer's lot after a trade on a new X5m.

I had it transported up to me up in Kansas and started to make a list of things I needed to do to get it back into the shape it deserved.

The previous owner spared no expense when it came to maintaining the 8. I have tens of thousands of dollars of receipts for work done to it by the selling dealer. He bought it and maintained it its entire life at one the same dealer. That includes the original dealer decal on the trunk lid which was on there so long that I can't get rid of it's ghost.

While he spared no expense on the mechanical maintenance - it was clear this car was driven. The clear coat on the top of the bumper was gone. The clear coat on the wheels was also gone and the black undercoating was actually showing on several of the original throwing star bases. So I made my list of what I wanted to tackle, and dove in.

First thing up - the wheels. They were so bad I was actually embarrassed to drive it for the first few weeks. Here are the wheels before:

They were clearly in rough shape. As were the center roundels - the little plastic bit that sits inside the center cover.

My original plan was to send them off for refinishing but I was having a heck of a time finding a way to get that done as quick as I wanted. So I ended up refinishing them myself. I wanted the aluminum wheel to be polished, with the standard throwing star cover painted. I love the way some E34 M5 come that way, so that became the goal.

This is what I was working with ...

After sanding each wheel past the black undercoat, I was able to get to the base aluminum. Once I had them stripped and sanded, I polished the aluminum. They aren't perfect but they are a world away from where I started. Here they are in the process.

The car also had a ton of road grime and tar all over the wheel wells. It was incredibly hard to get off. Elbow grease and time. This is the before.

Once the wheels and the exterior were looking better, I started driving it a couple times a week. After one spirited drive, I noticed a pinging from the rear of the driveshaft. Thanks to several members here, it became apparent it was the driveshaft CV joint. While up under the car with the exhaust dropped, it made sense to also do the flex disc (guibo). This is the before on both.

Now she is back on the road and I'm back to focusing on the next part of the list. The interior needs several of the plastic seat parts - especially around the seatbelts. The PO clearly didn't want to replace the broken parts, so he kept using black duct tape to keep things together.

Just removing the adhesive residue has helped.

On my last E31, the steering wheel upgrade was one of the last things I did before I sold it. This time, it was one of the first things I felt compelled to do.

I'm eager to get the interior up to snuff. The seats are in good shape, but need a bit of a refresh. I've got some Colourlock products on the way to help with that. Since my last E31 had sport seats, I've been scouring eBay Germany for someone selling black sports - which I would gladly pay a pretty penny for. In the meantime, it's probably best to refresh what I have.

Here's how she is sitting today. Very happy with the progress.

I need to get the front and rear bumpers resprayed and have a round of PDR done. At that point, she'll be ready for her Cars & Coffee debut!
    1995 BMW M3 (Avus), 1994 BMW 840Ci (Avus), 1994 BMW 740i (Oxford), 2005 BMW X5 4.8iS (BSM)
    Gone (Too many to mention)

My Cars
    2012 Alpina B7
    nice work to get her looking presentable quickly. you have forever to get her to the way you wish.

greg

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Strong work! Where did you get your steering wheel? I have one like it, but I've been looking for one with the tri-color stitching and can ever find one just right. Your's is exactly what I'm looking for.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    I remember the story. Great job, she looks exquisite!
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Great job!

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Great job, she looks exquisite!
    +1

My Cars
    '97 E31
    Nice work! Excited to see its progress.

Also curious about the steering wheel as they are hard to find. How difficult is the install?

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    Hey guys - thanks for the positive comments.

Regarding the steering wheel, I got it from the seller tainik on eBay. I've now bought 3 from him - this one, the one that's currently in my E36 M3 and one for my previous 850. He has a bunch listed that'll work for the E31, but know you can also customize yours to your liking. He can do perforated leather, smooth leather, different color stitching, etc. Install is really easy. The DIY on Frankie's BMW is the one I usually use.

If you tell tainik what it's going in, he'll include the proper slipring. You then just need a switch bracket - cheap - which I believe is listed on the DIY.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tainik/m.html?item=222210132547&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX% 3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
    1995 BMW M3 (Avus), 1994 BMW 840Ci (Avus), 1994 BMW 740i (Oxford), 2005 BMW X5 4.8iS (BSM)

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    GREAT JOB!!! I bought a wheel from him some time back and it was excellent.

My Cars
    see my signature
    Been waiting for this write-up Dave! Nice work, looking 100% better already!

My Cars
    91 850
    Very nice progress on cleaning up the Csi. So the sport side mirrors is an option even to a Csi model? I was under the assumption that all Csi models came equipped with the sport side mirrors until I did a Google search of BMW 850Csi images.
    Last edited by ChrisFuture8; 07-06-2018 at 02:42 AM.

My Cars
    see my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFuture8 View Post
    Very nice progress on cleaning up the Csi. So the sport side mirrors is an option even to a Csi model? I was under the assumption that all Csi models came equipped with the sport side mirrors until I did a Google search of BMW 850Csi images.
    I think the M-tech mirrors were standard on rest of world (or at least most other non USA) markets for the CSi (and also included on Euro/UK sport models), whereas Dumbo mirrors were mandated for N. America destined CSi's. But hey, we got cool Motorsport door handles!
    Last edited by Chamberlin; 07-06-2018 at 08:48 AM.

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    I think I'd take the handles over the mirrors - because I'm dumb like that. Something about pulling that motorsport handle and seeing the M threshold ... beautiful.

I like the look of the CSi mirrors but I rarely notice them when an 8 has them. I don't know that I could ever justify the cost for something I wouldn't notice.

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by mightydave View Post
    Since my last E31 had sport seats, I've been scouring eBay Germany for someone selling black sports - which I would gladly pay a pretty penny for.
    you and me both buddy! Great progress...great looking CSi. Keep up the great work!
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Please PM me what a pretty penny consist of, I may be persuaded to let mines go.

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    I had some time this past Sunday to start in on the interior. The seats have no tears but they also haven't been well kept either. I've owned a number of cars that were like this - where a good cleaning/conditioning run would make a world of difference.

Here is what I saw when the car first arrived.

Glossy leather, warn bolster, lots of broken plastic parts on the driver's seat.

And here is the passenger's seat:

Broken plastics held together with black duct tape and old residue. The seat back was also broken so I knew that would have to be dealt with (and luckily that part is still available).

I started by removing the seats, since I wanted to work on them out of the car and wanted to steam clean the carpet. Typical under seat craziness.

Clean as a whistle now

Here is the driver's seat starting point:

If a seat is really dirty, I douse it in Woolite foaming cleaner and agitate with a horse hair brush. Wipe down. Then douse it again and then lightly go over all surfaces with a magic eraser. Wipe down.

After the cleaning:

Passenger before:

Passenger after:

I then use Leather Rescue - which I apply generously - then wait an hour to remove any that's left over. For seats that haven't been treated in a while, I usually do that twice.

This is the after for both seats. They have a nice matte finish, despite how shiny they might look in the shot:

The plastic bits have started to arrive, so the seat repair will be done soon. The center console is also going to get some attention. Still planning out a course of attack on that.

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    This is looking amazing Dave! Sorry I couldn't help with the center console but if you're patient enough, you'll find a guy. Meantime, you can always temporarily install one of the $50 black plastic ones in its place while you search for a good water transfer guy who can match the CSi wood you have.
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    Thanks Taylor. Yeah - I ended up buying a black plastic one (which are over $100 now) and I'm going to run that for now. I also splurged and bought a new black center console since the PO had installed some sort of custom knob (I literally have no idea what it's for) and the fact it was there bugged the hell out of me. Those two pieces are due to arrive in the next couple of weeks.

I'm sure with the way the CSi market is going, I'll end up selling just as soon as I finish it up - leaving me no opportunity for enjoyment Though I do really enjoy the refurbishment process with these cars.

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Great restoration work so far Dave.......this car so deserves the pampering, and desperately needed someone like you to rescue her!

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    Great work! your car is really looking good.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Amazing work. Congrats. What black leather dye did you use?

I had recommended the guy to Taylor that did the water transfer for us both. He was amazing but unfortunate has passed away. There is a company in Texas that does a good job but I have no firsthand experience with them.
    Last edited by rogbmw; 07-12-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    M3, 840Ci, 740i, X5
    I haven't actually dyed the seats yet. I ordered a ColourLock kit which is set to arrive today. The faded area on the bolster got much darker just by providing the seat some conditioning.

Do you have the company contact information for the place in Texas? I'd be willing to give it a shot.

My Cars
    '85 M635csi, '84 545i, 88 M3
    I’d also like the contact info for the Texas outfit for water transfer. If they’re in Houston even better!

Thanks,
    Ismael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    not enough
    Looking forward to your progress. The CSi is starting to show some fading in the driver's bolster.

PS...good time to get your seat cables done. You always find out they've gone bad at the worst time...when you try to use the buttons and the seat twists like a pretzel.
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by mightydave View Post
    Do you have the company contact information for the place in Texas? I'd be willing to give it a shot.
    Give me a couple of weeks and I will get back with the contact info.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast