Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelican Parts, Turner and ECS Tuning are One and the Same?

My Cars

Pelican Parts, Turner and ECS Tuning are One and the Same?

This is news to me. Is this common knowledge or am I just the last to find these things out? I had actually placed an order with Turner a few months ago hoping that their being less than 50 miles from me would ensure that I got my parts in a timely fashion. I was surprised when the tracking information said that the shipment was coming from Ohio rather than Massachusetts. Now I know why.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969...0020475315172/

Edit: Subject line should read.. "..One AND the Same"
    Last edited by Bostongruen; 07-03-2018 at 06:03 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    I've been seeing more and more on this. I believe the parent company is an investment firm from overseas. Turner parts do ship from Wadworth OH just like ECS now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Ecs bought Turner several years ago. I didn’t know pelican parts was acquired by them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CBlock

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    Bertram capital is the firm that now owns ECS, Turner and is apparently in the process of acquiring Pelican

My Cars
    I'm hoping that BavAuto doesn't wind up going the same route.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    I think at this point I'm going to stick to BavAuto, Fcp and VAC

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Check out this thread that our CEO posted to get a bit more info on the situation.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ould-know.html
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Check out this thread that our CEO posted to get a bit more info on the situation.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ould-know.html
    Thanks for sharing that link. It certainly make the matter a little clearer in regards to Pelican's ability to make the transition in a business-as-usual kind of way. Hopefully you guys can keep on keeping on without getting sh*t on.

My Cars
    M3
    Cool.

My Cars
    325is
    It was bound to happen. You have the internet, Google search, Amazon stores ebay and http://www.bmwpnpc.com price comparison. These companies must have made an agreement to not undersell anyone else they all go broke. Add to it, +20 year old parts and no one can easily compete without having comparable prices. (I also think there is one big parts warehouse where everything is kept and shipped out of. When you but tires, you can see this. Very small inventory but they can "get" any tire and match any price I am just glad a source of parts is available unlike many car brands where 10 years is all you get

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    There is some bad "press" about the Ecs acquisition of Turner. Sorry to say I've never been impressed with Ecs, my son's last order showed up repackaged with the coolant missing and the parts soaked with it. Getting the issue resolved wasn't easy either. Another reason I shop FCP.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    98 740i 01 330Ci MKII TD
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineM3OldAsMe View Post
    I've been seeing more and more on this. I believe the parent company is an investment firm from overseas. Turner parts do ship from Wadworth OH just like ECS now.

Bertram Capital, the investment firm, is not from overseas.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I had a problem with an order I posted on here and an ECS rep pulled up my order number and PM'd me. This isn't new.

My Cars
    98 528i 91 318is-S54swap
    https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../141044/page1/

This thread was posted in the Pelican Parts thread, it details a lot about how the Turner buyout went by someone at the top of Turner. Seems like the nearly vaporized the entire company and Turner Motorsports. That's a shame.

My Cars
    I wonder if any of this will have any positive impact or if it'll wind up being more of a nail (or nails) in the coffin. Only time will tell.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think I will try to support FCP Euro more. I tend to shop around but would rather support a smaller company than a venture capitalist trying to squeeze as much money out of the company as possible.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I think I will try to support FCP Euro more. I tend to shop around but would rather support a smaller company than a venture capitalist trying to squeeze as much money out of the company as possible.
    I think this will increase FCP sales, I know I haven't bought from Pelican for a few years. My last order was a $300 axle and I got charged extra for shipping. Something FCP would never do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    I have had nothing but good experiences on any of my FCP Euro orders.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've had no issues with either ECS or Turner. Actually got great service from ECS last year when a defective part had to be replaced. I started using FCPEuro more over the past year for any OEM parts, mainly because their site is miles faster and friendlier than Pelican's. They had some issues on a parts order that they were shipping to me directly from the supplier where I had to go back and forth a couple times to get the bolts I ordered, but they eventually sorted it out.

I have no issues with this, other than maybe some concerns about lack of competition and fewer new Turner or ECS in-house parts (not that we get much new for E36's now anyways). Bimmerworld is now really the only comparable full-service aftermarket competitor.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 07-10-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    I've been buying from BavAuto for years and have only good things to say. However they changed their shipping set-up. UPS ground used to be free and I could get it in 2 days, but now it's $2.99, which is minor, and they still have a free option but I'm not sure how the timing is.

Over the years I have purchased from ECS as they either had a kit that BavAuto didn't have or better prices....both orders showed up missing hardware. After going 0/2 never ordered from them again.

Never ordered from Pelican as price shopping they averaged out the same as BavAuto so just stuck with BavAuto.

Recently placed an order with FCP as they had some E70 OEM hoses where BavAuto only had OE. Only thing I didn't like is I had to pay rush shipping for 2 day. I called them half an hour after placing my order because I forgot an item and hoped they could just throw it in the box...they couldn't but they credited me the shipping cost and it did ship separately. Odd but it worked. Would definitely recommend FCP.

Going forward I'll probably just price shop between FCP and BavAuto.

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    I've been buying from BavAuto for years and have only good things to say. However they changed their shipping set-up. UPS ground used to be free and I could get it in 2 days, but now it's $2.99, which is minor, and they still have a free option but I'm not sure how the timing is.

Over the years I have purchased from ECS as they either had a kit that BavAuto didn't have or better prices....both orders showed up missing hardware. After going 0/2 never ordered from them again.

Never ordered from Pelican as price shopping they averaged out the same as BavAuto so just stuck with BavAuto.

Recently placed an order with FCP as they had some E70 OEM hoses where BavAuto only had OE. Only thing I didn't like is I had to pay rush shipping for 2 day. I called them half an hour after placing my order because I forgot an item and hoped they could just throw it in the box...they couldn't but they credited me the shipping cost and it did ship separately. Odd but it worked. Would definitely recommend FCP.

Going forward I'll probably just price shop between FCP and BavAuto.

My Cars
    BMW
    Turner and ECS have been joined for several years now. Order deployment is handled out of the Wadsworth, Ohio facility for both ECS and Turner. ECS and Turner Part engineering are headed up in Wadsworth, Ohio. Turner Software Engineering is headed up in Amesbury, MA.

As for Pelican, as they stated in their link, they operate as before but with the benefit of having negotiating leverage with vendors due to being a little bit bigger than they were before.

Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    I have no issues with this, other than maybe some concerns about lack of competition and fewer new Turner or ECS in-house parts (not that we get much new for E36's now anyways). Bimmerworld is now really the only comparable full-service aftermarket competitor.
    TostitoBandito - New ish stuff for the E36: Turner Poly shifter arm bracket, Turner Monoball FCABs, Turner Hybrid Camber Plates, and Turner Sealed Monlball RTAB. Plus all the existing goods; camber arms, tunes, M50 manifold conversion parts, Delrin/Solid/Poly bushings pretty much everywhere, ECS ultimate rear shock mounts, Turners various rear shock mounts, RTAB limtiers, sway bars, strut bars, big brake kits, pulley kits, hose kits, radiators upgrades, baffled oil pans, oil coolers, ignition upgrades, and I'm running out of wind but there are probably a few things I missed. If I there is something else my E36 guys want let me know and I'll talk to the R&D coordinators let them battle out who's going to get the project and hope they both take it on for a little friendly competition.

-James

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    TostitoBandito - New ish stuff for the E36: Turner Poly shifter arm bracket, Turner Monoball FCABs, Turner Hybrid Camber Plates, and Turner Sealed Monlball RTAB. Plus all the existing goods; camber arms, tunes, M50 manifold conversion parts, Delrin/Solid/Poly bushings pretty much everywhere, ECS ultimate rear shock mounts, Turners various rear shock mounts, RTAB limtiers, sway bars, strut bars, big brake kits, pulley kits, hose kits, radiators upgrades, baffled oil pans, oil coolers, ignition upgrades, and I'm running out of wind but there are probably a few things I missed. If I there is something else my E36 guys want let me know and I'll talk to the R&D coordinators let them battle out who's going to get the project and hope they both take it on for a little friendly competition.
    Ok, since you asked. I have a challenge for you. Make a replacement for the stock E36 center console cupholder/ashtray piece which will actually hold a proper sized cup, and maybe has other utility/features in place of the coin holder and ashtray. There have been a number of DIY attempts here and elsewhere, but a quality product with fit and finish which looks original would be nice. I'd pay good money for it, and I'm sure lots of other owners here would too.

Also, bring back the JP/Turner OBD2 shorty headers for the E36 M3. They've been NLA for a number of years now, though you still sell the OBD1 version.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    Ok, since you asked. I have a challenge for you. Make a replacement for the stock E36 center console cupholder/ashtray piece which will actually hold a proper sized cup, and maybe has other utility/features in place of the coin holder and ashtray. There have been a number of DIY attempts here and elsewhere, but a quality product with fit and finish which looks original would be nice. I'd pay good money for it, and I'm sure lots of other owners here would too.

Also, bring back the JP/Turner OBD2 shorty headers for the E36 M3. They've been NLA for a number of years now, though you still sell the OBD1 version.
    +1

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp

Sadly, this is near impossible without hacking up the console under it, else it would be done by now. No room to fit a decent DIA over that narrow channel that runs parallel to the handbrake. About the only place where a decent cup holder could fit would be a replacement for the angled, pocket piece that fits in front of the shifter. Then once you do this, you need to cleanly relocate the seat heater switches and 12v outlet.

It would be similar to something like this (but much better)

I've looked into and have the modeling skills to solve it....if you could.

There is also this now, but even that design will probably crack in a year. It's not very robust IMO.
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/PW...oved-cupholder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast