Thread: Ac clutch not engaging and aux fan not working

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is Coupe

Ac clutch not engaging and aux fan not working

So ive had my car for about a year now and ever since i got it, the AC never worked. Didnt really bother me at the time but now that its getting really hot (35degrees celsius) i realized I need to get this sorted. So i went the route of starting at the compressor to see if it would engage the clutch by supplying direct voltage to it. I was probably doing something wrong there cause it didnt engage. I then remembered that i have inpa on my laptop so i used that to engage the clutch while the car was on and to my surprise, it engaged and was turning. The aux fan on the other, althought it does work, it doesnt work as it should. I say this becayse the aux fan at start up should run for 20 sec and then shut off. Whe. I started the car, it looked like it was struggling to turn, and when i turned on the ac (from the climate control) it would struggle too. I tested the fan with inpa and it was working blowing. I also unplugged the pressure switch at the dryer which then put the aux fan at full blast. From here, where else should i look at for both problems?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The fan sounds like it’s ok as it runs at a low speed at start up. The fan is controlled by the engine computer (DME).

The first thing I’d do is take the car to a reputable auto ac shop for diagnosis. Over or under filling the ac with R134a is a no-no. The shop should remove the remaining R134a, apply a vacuum to check for leaks and then refill the system with the precise amount of R134a. The compressor oil will be replaced, also.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The fan sounds like it’s ok as it runs at a low speed at start up. The fan is controlled by the engine computer (DME).

The first thing I’d do is take the car to a reputable auto ac shop for diagnosis. Over or under filling the ac with R134a is a no-no. The shop should remove the remaining R134a, apply a vacuum to check for leaks and then refill the system with the precise amount of R134a. The compressor oil will be replaced, also.
    Going to do a pressure hold test tomorrow but at the meantime, I'm searching for other tests that i can try first

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk