Thread: INPA custom menu for E38

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

INPA custom menu for E38

I have bimmergeeks version of INPA so I can run on 64 bit windows. But this applies to all INPA's at least since 5.0.2 I think. I got tired of hitting <shift>-F9 and scrolling all the way down to E38. Plus I kept getting E39 by mistake. So I created a menu with E38 on F9 directly. Mine had E89 there, moved it to <shift>-F4 that was empty on my version. Anyway, it's pretty easy to modify INPA's main menu once you understand the syntax. The only "hard" part is creating the E38.ENG file.

If you would like the menu like I have it setup, I have a zip made containing the E38.ENG file, and custom INPA ini files for both the Bimmergeeks version and the "normal" INPA. If you have 5.0.2 or 5.0.6 then this should be just a drop in replacement. i don't know the menu structure of any other versions so I can't speak to those. I think SOME versions have something else on F9, but unless you use it my custom menus should cover all makes included in 5.0.6 at least. So check your F9 before using this mod.

To understand the process I'm talking about, I'll just post up the instructions I included in the zip:

** For Bimmergeeks BMW Standard tools install (as of 7/1/2018) **
    >> Will also work with any INPA, look below Bimmergeek instructions <<

951Dreams version 1.02

File List:
    E3PROTOK.INI <<Bimmergeeks INPA config file modified by 951Dreams>>
    INPA.INI <<Normal INPA config file modifed by 951Dreams. NON-Bimmergeeks version only>>
    E38.ENG <<File used to build E38 menu and direct INPA to correct modules. 951Dreams version>>
    Installation Instructions.txt <<This file your reading>>

The included file E3PROTOK.INI is the config file Bimmergeek uses for his
    version of INPA. It's not in the standard location for reasons I do not know.
    I'll give the path below. This will move the E89 into position <shift>-F4 and
    provide direct E38 access with the F9 key for INPA.

C:\EC-APPS\INPA\PRT\ENGLISCH is the path to place the E3PROTOK.INI file. Overwrite
    the one there already.

The included file E38.ENG is the file that builds the menu you get when you press
    F9. This has to be in INPA's CFGDAT directory. This will only work if you've installed
    the E3PROTOK.INI or the custom INPA.INI file included in this zip. It's a modified
    and cleaned up version of what's found in the standard INPA E38 menu under Older Models.

C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT is the path to place the E38.ENG file

**All other INPA verions **

The included file INPA.INI is a version I created for all other installs of INPA 5.0.6.
    (Should work with any version tho) You still have to move the E38.ENG file to the
    CFGDAT folder as shown above. INPA.INI should ALSO be found in CFGDAT. But I'm making
    no promises depending on version.
    I spent some time getting all this to work (and 90% of it trying to find where Bimmergeek hid the ini file for his) but if your interested this should save you some time. Here's the links:

My zip: https://home.doonze.net/share/automo...E38%20Menu.zip
    Bimmergeeks download page: https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

If anyone does this, let me know how it worked and any other tweeks that may be needed. Just unzip it to a directory and copy the files where shown.
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    2000 E38 750iSport
    Hi,

Thanks for posting that information, it has helped motivate me to try afresh to find an English Language version of the menu systems for the E38 750 Engine.

When I select my Engine:

ENTRY=DME521R2,DME 5.21 for M73 right MJ 99,

The system switches back to German and I would like to have it in English.

The file DME521R2.IPO is the resource being used I believe so I am looking for an English language version of this, or if I've got this right the original DME521R2.IPS source file so I can edit all the text myself.

I take it all you owners of 740's have it in English, us poor V12 owners (who do not understand German) have to remember what each function key does rather than read it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Adrian
    Last edited by X606XAR; 02-09-2019 at 02:11 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E38 750iSport
    Hi,

I've found some suggestions of a reverse compiler for the interpreted IPO files - anyone actually seen this software?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eveloper%92(-)

Or is this vaporware?

Cheers

Adrian

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750il
    I have also been looking for this. However, I read on another forum/post that if you open the .ipo files with notepad++ all the "text" can be manually changed.

This is what I have been doing step by step.

Just be mindful, that you cannot change everything, it will give script errors. I changed just those that I believed were displayed text, nothing else.

This requires a lot of trial and error and frequent testing. So far it seems to be working. I changed several menus over to English.

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Not all heroes wear capes. Thank you OP!!

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    535i
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...o-File-decoder

there is DecodeIPO file viewer i posted for all to have avail