Thread: S62 swap no start, ews?

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6

S62 swap no start, ews?

Attempted to start my S62 swapped 1995 540/6 yesterday. Got one big click from the starter and nothing more. No fuel at the regulator either.

I suspect EWS. I'm running the S62 DME with ews deleted, but I suspect the car (EWS2) is still looking for the validation signal from the DME before it allows the fuel pump to run and the starter to turn. Is there a way to bypass that?

Unfortunately I can't scan it as something caught fire near the alternator while on a tow truck (go figure!) and I need to clean up the mess before I can get the OBD port up.

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    There's alot of variables on such a swap that we just couldn't possibly know about so we would be literally taking shots in the dark. A single click from the starter usually means there isn't enough voltage to do much else and I would be suspecting a bad ground.

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Fair enough. My question is more targeting the EWS system, which I know nothing about. Does it indeed need a validation signal from the engine DME before it allows a start?

Battery is 100%. Click is the same whether car is boosted or not.

My Cars
    1995 525it
    If you are using the original key from your car the ews system should be happy. When I swapped my car, I just didn't connect pin 66 and it all works fine. My car was built 12/95 and the dme was prior to ews.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Quote Originally Posted by petebob View Post
    If you are using the original key from your car the ews system should be happy. When I swapped my car, I just didn't connect pin 66 and it all works fine. My car was built 12/95 and the dme was prior to ews.
    Yes, original key, but the engine harness is that of the S62. Not sure what to disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    EWS on an E34 (not sure about S62) doesn't prevent the starter from turning or the fuel pump from running. All it does is stop the injector and ignition coil signals.
    Interesting. I know that's the case for EWS1, but I thought EWS2 killed much more.

In a nutshell, I believe the EWS module is looking for something called the ISN code from the DME. I don't think it's receiving that.
    Last edited by tantumaude; 07-01-2018 at 05:15 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525it
    I think ews2 will inhibit the starter.

From Turners website: EWS-II, E36 1/95-8/96 = similar to the above but with an electronic key, EWS module (“brain”), and the DME all linked together. The same door lock logic remains. All systems for starting the engine are run through the EWS module (starter relay, starter power, fuel, ignition). The key sends a signal to the EWS module and the module asks for a matching signal from the DME. If the two signals don’t match the EWS module will not start the car. The EWS module also checks for OBC function and transmission park/neutral position

I could see the new dme not letting the engine start without the proper handshake but it can't prevent the engine from turning over. My car is ews2 with the wrong dme and is happy as can be.

The signal from the dme to the ews module is on a green (I think) wire coming from pin 66 on the dme through the X20 connector in the engine bay.

My Cars
    1995 525it
    Sweet swap, btw!

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    EWS on an E34 (not sure about S62) doesn't prevent the starter from turning or the fuel pump from running. All it does is stop the injector and ignition coil signals.
    I'm afraid that's not correct, starter wiring goes through ewsii module behind the dash. If the ewsii module isn't satisfied it's received a correct key frequency it will prevent starter engagement and prevent ignition coils and fuel injection from working

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    That's what I was thinking. The late e34s (1/95 and later) add an extra layer of complexity. The total lack of both fuel and starter engagement is what leads me to believe that would be the problem--few other things would stop both systems. I guess the question becomes how to bypass or fool the ews2 module into thinking i have the right dme?

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by tantumaude View Post
    That's what I was thinking. The late e34s (1/95 and later) add an extra layer of complexity. The total lack of both fuel and starter engagement is what leads me to believe that would be the problem--few other things would stop both systems. I guess the question becomes how to bypass or fool the ews2 module into thinking i have the right dme?
    You simply cut and connect together the thick gauge wires at pin 1 & 3 of the ews module, bypassing the starter circuit on the ews module.

You do not have the original E34 M60 dme hooked up?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    I'm afraid that's not correct, starter wiring goes through ewsii module behind the dash. If the ewsii module isn't satisfied it's received a correct key frequency it will prevent starter engagement and prevent ignition coils and fuel injection from working
    EWS 2, apparently so, though the wiring diagrams suggest that the EWS2 module can be simply replaced with a normal manual starter relay. I don't know what EWS version was in the DME out of a 95 540i that I tried in my car, but it cranked and pumped fuel, wouldn't inject or ignite.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    In some cases I've seen ews2 cars with a fully functional starter crank and no fuel no spark.

After realigning the dme and ews, the starter worked but no spark no fuel.
    So I tried to program a second key, still no go. I had to go the they key log and manual cycle the main key I had been using from enabled --> disabled --> enabled
    Fired right up after 8years of not running haha

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mykk View Post
    You simply cut and connect together the thick gauge wires at pin 1 & 3 of the ews module, bypassing the starter circuit on the ews module.

You do not have the original E34 M60 dme hooked up?
    No, I am running am unlocked S62 DME. Forgive my ignorance, but will bypassing the starter circuit be sufficient to address the fuel pump as well?

My Cars
    '95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by tantumaude View Post
    No, I am running am unlocked S62 DME. Forgive my ignorance, but will bypassing the starter circuit be sufficient to address the fuel pump as well?
    I'm afraid I don't know enough about the S62 DME, but in the M60 DME the fuel pump won't turn on until the crank sensor get's a signal while the engine is cranking.

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    That would make sense. I'll see if I can get the shop to align the EWS with DIS, if not I'll splice the wires later this week. Thanks for the info!

My Cars
    e30 m60B40
    Why talking about s62 conversions, can anyone be of help in assisting with putting the s62 cam/crank in-time? There is very little that I have found on the engine and it's very limited information. Help is needed asap!

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    Forgot to update: EWS is still not aligned and so is throwing a code, but the car runs.