Thread: Porsche DESTROYS Nurburgring Record

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD

Porsche DESTROYS Nurburgring Record

Yeah, I know it's not a mechanical problem....but Porsche took a 919 Evo to Nurburgring YESTERDAY, and set a lap record of FIVE MINUTES AND NINETEEN SECONDS !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsLi7HgSuhI

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    I saw that. The acceleration out of the corners with the hybrid setup is astonishing.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i saw that and had no idea what to say.....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I wonder how well a Tesla would do.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    I wonder how well a Tesla would do.
    When Tesla makes a 919 Evo equivalent, we'll maybe know. Meanwhile, it would be interesting to see how this year's Toyota LeMans winner would do......

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    And I live close enough to go for a drive on the Green monster too. On day as I cross it off the bucket list as the saying goes.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Was that an out lap ???
    Oh, let's not forget Stephan Bellof, his record stood for 35 years.
    Last edited by ross1; 06-30-2018 at 04:02 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yeah, still, that record had a 1.3 mile asterisk*
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ws&date=062918

I'd have to wonder how fast an F1 would do the lap ?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Oh: An OLD F1 car that had to keep slowing down was four seconds faster than the 919.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03RfIkT5pTQ

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5; 04 M3 6M
    Yowza!!!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quick to respond, Mercedes has said that they're not sending one of their F1 cars to the Nordschleife.

So, um, RedBull, where are you? Ferrari's not gonna do it, because of Niki's accident. But red bulls have big balls, don't they? Doesn't the world deserve to know?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    If Red Bull sends one it better be Ricciardo; if they send Verstappen he'll manage to crash into another car somehow, even on an empty circuit (paddock? parking lot?).

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5; 04 M3 6M
    The lack of oversteer on corner exit was bugging me; had to be all wheel drive. Yup: "While the combustion engine drives the rear axle, the electric motor takes care of the front axle. The 919 catapults out of the corner without any loss of traction using all-wheel drive – and in the process recuperates energy again because on the straights the extra turbine in the exhaust tract is hard at work."

More and more students are showing up in cars that drive themselves...well, you know what I mean.

Also, those were anything but ideal conditions. It's been speculated (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwZbu-aaX4) that this was just for gathering data. If, as it's predicted, Porsche's plan is to come back later in the year with another driver under better conditions (not hard to accomplish—ambient was air = 80° and track = 115°), then this record is going to be short-lived. Yay.
    Last edited by HighandFast; 06-30-2018 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    WOW...."and in the process recuperates energy again because on the straight the extra turbine in the exhaust tract is hard at work"? Is this like a turbocharger for a recuperative generator?

Is this a bit like perpetual motion?

Sign me up.

I wonder if there's a Perpetual Tire Option?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    WOW...."and in the process recuperates energy again because on the straight the extra turbine in the exhaust tract is hard at work"? Is this like a turbocharger for a recuperative generator?

Is this a bit like perpetual motion?

Sign me up.

I wonder if there's a Perpetual Tire Option?
    Sounds like it is:

"In the split exhaust system, one turbine drives the turbocharger while another converts surplus energy into electrical energy. The braking energy contributes 60 per cent, with the remaining 40 per cent coming from exhaust gas"

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/moto...car-12724.html

My Cars
    01 325xi sedan
    Wow, that video looks like it has been sped up, but I know it hasn't! That is nuts! Had this open for a few days, but just got around to checking it out.
    HighandFast, I believe the NSX's AWD system also uses electric motors up front, and I think Ferrari was thought to be developing a similar system, but I am not sure they used it. Seems like a good idea for AWD systems when the engine is not up front.
    x3 for Red Bull getting on it with an F1 car.
    Thanks for the links guys!

edit: Ferrari AWD...looks like it went another route in the end: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrar...l_drive_system
    Last edited by mry82; 07-05-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein B8s, and poly bushings (Thanks Chris!); Valeo SMF & non-SA Clutch, CDV delete, and E60 Shifter w/ ZHP knob; Beisan System VANOS Seals...
    Mtech-II Front Bumper (PO got bumped in parking lot!); Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights... Lots of PM!!!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by mry82 View Post
    Wow, that video looks like it has been sped up, but I know it hasn't! That is nuts! Had this open for a few days, but just got around to checking it out.
    HighandFast, I believe the NSX's AWD system also uses electric motors up front, and I think Ferrari was thought to be developing a similar system, but I am not sure they used it. Seems like a good idea for AWD systems when the engine is not up front.
    x3 for Red Bull getting on it with an F1 car.
    Thanks for the links guys!

edit: Ferrari AWD...looks like it went another route in the end: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrar...l_drive_system
    F1 is a spec racer and shouldn't be expected to best this.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    01 325xi sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    F1 is a spec racer and shouldn't be expected to best this.
    I'll take your word for it. I had no real expectation on how it would compare, but would like to see the video!
    H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein B8s, and poly bushings (Thanks Chris!); Valeo SMF & non-SA Clutch, CDV delete, and E60 Shifter w/ ZHP knob; Beisan System VANOS Seals...
    Mtech-II Front Bumper (PO got bumped in parking lot!); Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights... Lots of PM!!!

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Unless they smooth over the surface, I think an F1 car would shake itself apart. Jokes apart, I would love to see Danny Ric let loose on the Nordschleife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
    Unless they smooth over the surface, I think an F1 car would shake itself apart. Jokes apart, I would love to see Danny Ric let loose on the Nordschleife.
    You figure F1 cars of today are a bit less sturdy than the cars of the 70's?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by MauiM3Mania View Post
    You figure F1 cars of today are a bit less sturdy than the cars of the 70's?
    Good point about the surface.
    Less sturdy? Certainly not in a crash but they have essentially zero suspension travel and carbon fiber bits which are far less forgiving than the old metal ones. I'll take a bent control arm over an exploded one any day.
    The ride height would probably need to be higher which, given the precise aero of these cars, might really slow them down.
    I suspect this 919 would crush a current F1 car in race legal spec.
    Last edited by ross1; 07-09-2018 at 02:53 PM.