Thread: ?: What do you think about buying a loaner car?

My Cars
    2015 BMW 320i

Moon ?: What do you think about buying a loaner car?

Hello Everyone!

My Wife & I are looking to purchase a 2018 320i that was a loaner car for a local BMW Dealership.

It has 4500 miles on it and appears to be in good condition.

However, Ive heard that sometimes loaner cars or rental cars could be made to lower standards. Have you ever heard of this and do you think this could be applicable to BMW?

Thanks so much for your input. It always helps knowing what you folks think!

best to you,

Rick

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Run the vin in a vin decoder to see if it any different than normal series. I doubt they will retool everything specifically for loaners
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundrick View Post
    However, Ive heard that sometimes loaner cars or rental cars could be made to lower standards. Have you ever heard of this and do you think this could be applicable to BMW?
    Absolutely not true. They often are ordered by the dealer with a more limited set of options, but the factory produces them like any other car.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 15 428i GC
    My wife purchased a 2015 4 Series Gran Coupe with x-drive. It was originally a loaner car and it has lots of options. I think it has almost all features short of the M spec options. And we took in in for service once and was given a loaner of the same model except it was a 2018 and it was loaded with even the m spec package. It was very nice. I believe it's a mind game to get you to trade and upgrade once you drive the loaner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lborrorjr; 07-02-2018 at 01:55 PM.

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundrick View Post
    Hello Everyone!

My Wife & I are looking to purchase a 2018 320i that was a loaner car for a local BMW Dealership.

It has 4500 miles on it and appears to be in good condition.

Thanks so much for your input. It always helps knowing what you folks think!

best to you,

Rick
    I own a former dealer loaner. I don't know who told you this, but the BMW factory makes all cars to their dictated standards. Perhaps you "heard" people referring to fleet sales from GM, Ford or Chrysler to Hertz or Avis, where discontinued models are still sold to rental agencies. That is something totally different.

My car is a CPO Elite, with an extra 25k miles and 1 year added to the warranty (but not as extensive as the original factory bumper to bumper). However, the current BMW CPO is 5 years/unlimited miles from the original in-service date.

I think that's a great way to go--in my area, many loaners are very loaded with options.

If I were you, I would have 2 reservations:

1--There is a completely new model coming in 2019. That will likely drive down the prices of new '18s, and the price you get on a former loaner may not end up being such a great savings once the '19s are out.

2--If you are going for a 320, instead of a 330, make sure you are getting a smoking deal. To me, getting a 320 model stripped down with few options just isn't worth it. YMMV.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    340i
    Besides being beat I guess nothing make sure it doesn’t have over 5k miles tho

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    One the plus side its been dealer serviced consistently. ( assume the dealer is competent)

Negative is its been driven by non owners ( but only 4500 miles)

Unless it's a manual transmission, my only concern would be getting a sufficient discount

My Cars
    325xiT E46
    I bought one, 7k miles, 2018 330i Xdrive. No complaints. They added CPO through 2022, unlimited miles, and did an oil change etc before delivery.