Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: transmission and tread depth mismatch

My Cars
    M3 E36, 2007 X3

transmission and tread depth mismatch

I like to kind of treat the car in the way it was designed to perform and thus have this ?? On a 2007 x3 w 130k miles daily driver would it make much difference to the cars well being to run a new replacement tire of the same brand and size with 5/32 remaining on the other 3 tires. We had a flat and can get a warranty replacement. I suppose the x drive system is so refined that for purists it would be a crime to introduce an unneeded inconsistancy into the equation. To some extent it is a matter of principle. If the original BMW engineers for this car were watching what would they do given my humble economic situation. An extra hundred buck lost to keep the car running top notch is no big deal but if it real makes very little difference I won't trash the savings I could get by running them down to about 4/32 over the summer before replacement. Of course then at the end of the summer I am putting 3 new tires with the new one that is not 1 or 2/32 lesser in tread.
    Common sense is leading me to trash the old and just start fresh and even but I would still like feedback since I typed so long. No apologies.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinheap View Post
    I like to kind of treat the car in the way it was designed to perform and thus have this ?? On a 2007 x3 w 130k miles daily driver would it make much difference to the cars well being to run a new replacement tire of the same brand and size with 5/32 remaining on the other 3 tires. We had a flat and can get a warranty replacement. I suppose the x drive system is so refined that for purists it would be a crime to introduce an unneeded inconsistancy into the equation. To some extent it is a matter of principle. If the original BMW engineers for this car were watching what would they do given my humble economic situation. An extra hundred buck lost to keep the car running top notch is no big deal but if it real makes very little difference I won't trash the savings I could get by running them down to about 4/32 over the summer before replacement. Of course then at the end of the summer I am putting 3 new tires with the new one that is not 1 or 2/32 lesser in tread.
    Common sense is leading me to trash the old and just start fresh and even but I would still like feedback since I typed so long. No apologies.
    I don't think that little circumference will trigger any abs or stability nannies, my abs quits when I vary rims,17" vs 18', front to rear.