Thread: BMW 750i 2014 - Drivers door will not shut - Driver side lock

My Cars
    2014 BMW 750i

BMW 750i 2014 - Drivers door will not shut - Driver side lock

This has happened to me 3-4 times and each time it does it drives me nuts. It's a design flaw. So I figured I would help others out who may run into same thing.

Problem: When approaching the car and unlocking the door with the remote, occasionally (may 3 out of 100 times) when you get into the car and try to shut the drivers side door it will not shut. The "black plastic locking mechanism" that is on the door, that latches onto the stainless steel "u bolt" locking mechanism on the door jamb, gets messed up. The car thinks your door is shut when it is actually open, thus preventing you from shutting the door. The "black plastic locking mechanism" is in the down/locked position and just bounces off the stainless steel "u bolt" that is fixed to the car door jamb.
    I think this happens when you hit the remote too may times just as you are opening the door (not sure, but that seems to be the trigger).

I have literally had to call BMW twice (or try to drive to the dealer holding the driver side door shut) to figure i out, and coincidentally just as they pick up the phone, I figure it out after not being able to shut the door and messing around and being stuck with the problem for 1/2 hour.

Solution (simple): On the driver side door (on the inside of the car), simply grab the handle that you would use to open the door and pump/pull on it twice (like you have to do when you are getting out of the car....that dumb two pump action you have to do - one to unlock the door and one to open the door)
    Last edited by MSQ; 06-28-2018 at 07:23 PM.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 228i coupe
    Interesting design flaw. Recently read an article which panned the 7 series. The only series, they said, having the original BMW concept is the 2 series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2015 BMW 740Li xDrive
    I have had a 2015 F02 for several years now and never had the described problem. Perhaps the door opener has a bad solenoid or something.....since I haven't had any door issues I haven't dug into exactly how they work.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    There is a recall or extended warranty for the soft close, it was for e65/66 cars I don't know if extends to the new cars