Thread: Does your "sports car" auto shut-off at stoplights?

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M

Does your "sports car" auto shut-off at stoplights?

While driving my 95 ///M today, I realized there are some options my girl doesn't have:

No rain sensing wipers
    No auto climate zone heat / AC
    No back up cameras
    No park assist
    No hill assist
    No shift assist
    No backup cameras
    No leather
    No USB ports
    Not Bluetooth compatible
    No cup holders
    No auto up/down windows
    No climate controlled seats
    No collision avoidance system
    No blind spot monitoring
    No auto-blip downshift
    No radio
    No auto high beams
    No lane keeping assistant
    No heads up display
    No super-quick ALMOST manual-like automatic transmission with faux-paddles
    No electric seats
    No backseat DVD players
    No in car vacuum
    No auto start
    No auto shut-off at stop lights
    No heated steering wheel
    No new car smell
    No comfort entry system

Even without all the above it makes me smile all the way to work and back home!

Love my E36

William

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post
    No radio
    You do you, I guess...I'd hate to be without NPR.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoody View Post
    You do you, I guess...I'd hate to be without NPR.
    yea, i hear ya, but that's for the days i want to just drone along to work in my truck. When i take my baby out, its for fun only. no distractions...no listening to bickering between millionaires who are mad at the billionaires.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    The E36 does has a couple nice things that my new Mazda doesn't, which I still find surprising:

- The E36 BMW wipers automatically slow down when the vehicle is at a stop or moving very slowly. Nice feature to have, and many new cars don't seem to have this.
    - The E36 BMW cruise control is the most intuitive and easy to use I've experienced. It's just one flick of the handle and you don't even need to move your hand off the wheel since it's perfectly positioned for two fingers on the right hand. On many other cars you have to first turn it on and then press another button or lever to set the speed. On the E36 you just flip the lever in the accelerate direction to both enable it and set the speed.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    smh....you guys are missing the point.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    - The E36 BMW cruise control is the most intuitive and easy to use I've experienced. It's just one flick of the handle and you don't even need to move your hand off the wheel since it's perfectly positioned for two fingers on the right hand. On many other cars you have to first turn it on and then press another button or lever to set the speed. On the E36 you just flip the lever in the accelerate direction to both enable it and set the speed.
    It is super intuitive and great to use, but it is so slow to resume speed even if you're only a few mph away from where you were before it was shut off. I just gave up on "resuming" and simply keep setting it; it shouldn't take 5 seconds for the system to go from 73 to 75 mph while dropping to 70-71 on the way.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoody View Post
    It is super intuitive and great to use, but it is so slow to resume speed even if you're only a few mph away from where you were before it was shut off. I just gave up on "resuming" and simply keep setting it; it shouldn't take 5 seconds for the system to go from 73 to 75 mph while dropping to 70-71 on the way.
    Yeah I think I do the same thing and never use the resume feature. I set it and then flip it forward and back to adjust the set speed either direction as necessary. Basically, a hand throttle. Not that I use it that much anymore since I don't drive my car nearly as much on the freeways, but it's still handy on the long street leading up the hill to my neighborhood that is a 25mph limit but has a median and should be 35 but always has cops on it. Keeps me from getting any stupid tickets.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post
    smh....you guys are missing the point.
    Haha I hear you! Although I do have one touch window's, a radio, leather, and power seats...
    CBlock

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    My 4 door M3 is almost too modern for me. Auto up/down windows and working AC?? Spoiled now with creature comforts.

My Cars
    95 M3 - 06 X5 3.0
    If the car was ruined by all that I might not even want it..

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I will never understand why my 2017 Ford Explorer requires you to first turn on cruise, and THEN set the speed.....my 2013 Audi A4 is one touch for cruise. I find it funny that when I change between cars, I always hit the windshield wipers because the BMW is on the right hand side.

And I've replaced my cigarette lighter with a USB adapter (has 2 x USB plugs)
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    It's probably a stupid safety feature for the same types of "drivers" who claimed their Toyotas were accelerating all by themselves while their foot was on the gas.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    The E36 does has a couple nice things that my new Mazda doesn't, which I still find surprising:

- The E36 BMW wipers automatically slow down when the vehicle is at a stop or moving very slowly. Nice feature to have, and many new cars don't seem to have this.
    These are my two favorite "features" of the car that others don't have. I'd also say that I love the window buttons being next to the shifter. BMW did a really good job at putting everything within close reach of the shifter where my hand sits most of the time.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Regarding the window buttons being in the center, the only issue I have with that is that my other car has an electric parking brake switch which is in a similar position. More than once in a drive through I've tried to lower the window by pressing the parking brake switch, which is fun while the car is moving.

From a design standpoint I like the window switches there. It makes more sense since your right hand is your "free" hand for the shifter and can easily hit those. If only all other cars did the same.