Thread: Top Problems - Help please!

My Cars
    97 328iC

Top Problems - Help please!

I was opening my Full Auto top the other day and as usual a little bit of the headliner material got hung up on the curved area of the trim that the tonneau cover rests on when closed. When that happens the tonneau refuses to close because the top is not entirely sitting inside the well, and the whole process just stops. I normally can use the umbrella I carry in the car to reach back from the drivers seat and tap the top on the passenger side where the headliner is catching. This usually pushes the top down just a little bit more and the tonneau recognizes it and finished the sequence.

This time it would not finish the sequence, so I got out of the car and pushed down on the top to get it into the storage well a little better. This did not help, and now the top would not operate, up or down, and my tonneau cover was standing straight up.

I pulled the E-latch and folded the tonneau cover, reset the motors. Tried to do a resync and it does not work, no matter which direction I push the button during the reset, or where the top is during the reset, it simply will not do anything.

I also used the hex key to try and close the top all the way, but the windshield mating plate will not lock to the windshield. I thought that once you had the top closed up to that point the switches would recognize it and activate the motor to pull the top tight to the windshield. Am I doing something wrong?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to bring the car to a mechanic for this.

Thanks!

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Have you checked the fuse by the battery?
    - Ken -