Thread: 530i Air conditioner not always working

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 Compact

530i Air conditioner not always working

HI

I have a problem with air conditioner. it goes like this:
    - sometimes it's not starting , but air conditioner clutch is attached (i can see it's rotating under the hood),
    - when AC is working, it's performance is good, no problem at all

When it does not want to start, speeding helps, high revs and it starts working.

Is it possible that AC clutch is sliping ??

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    More likely the aux fan is not working. Does the A/C work okay at highway speeds, but not in traffic?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 Compact
    if it starts then it works good in any conditions: on highway or traffic. But it sometimes does not want to start.
    I forget to mention, i have no errors in IHKA module. AC fluid is filled up.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    When it's not working get out, keep the car running, and pop the hood.
    Is the aux fan running??

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 Compact
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    When it's not working get out, keep the car running, and pop the hood.
    Is the aux fan running??
    i'll check it, you are talking about second fan? not viscous fan, right?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by fold View Post
    if it starts then it works good in any conditions: on highway or traffic. But it sometimes does not want to start.
    I forget to mention, i have no errors in IHKA module. AC fluid is filled up.
    Good man! Well done on checking errors and telling us about it! Normally we have to tell people "check errors" ("whats errors?" "how to check them?" etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by fold View Post
    i'll check it, you are talking about second fan? not viscous fan, right?
    Yes. The "aux" is the electric one on front. It should always start when you turn AC on.

Also - is your outside temp sensor working? If it is not working or intermittent (and they famously get sucked out and bang around on the road) then the AC won't work.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 Compact
    Well, my outside temperature sensor has died some time ago, so i've connected a resistor.
    Display shows 17.0 celsius degrees always.
    I always set AC to 16.0 celsius degress (the lowest value)
    Could this be a reason? AC has another temperature sensor inside car i believe?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Errrrrr OK. Might have to tap out on this but one more post..

Your hackjob may be causing some of the behavior, I don't know. Maybe there's some diagnosis of implausible temp signal if it never changes? Although if that was the case you'd think you have an error.

Yes it does have an interior sensor (assuming you have climate control, and not some super-base IHKA? theres a little fan behind the dash that sucks in air past a sensor to gauge interior temp). That can get screwy. If you have INPA you can read live values from the IHKA and see what temp it thinks it is inside etc.) You can also see a number of other things.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Confirm outside temp is still reading 17C when AC doesn't work.

My Cars
    528iT
    If your outside temp sensor isnt working and you have some kinda fix in place, that could be the source of your problems. Get an outside air temp sensor and wire it back in to eliminate that variable. My only other guess after that is your aux fan is dying or not working at all.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Definitely get the exterior temp sensor working again.

Also check to make sure your interior temp sensor fan isn't clogged with dust - mine was after 191k miles. Here's how to do that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FupO15XTU
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    E39 M5, 525..e34 525 x3
    I have a similar problem with 2 of my E39s, my 530 and my M5.
    A/C doesn't work and then if I accelerate and get the revs up, miraculously, it comes on and performs normally?
    Air is super cold coming from the vents in both cars once it re-engages.
    I thought it might be a glitch in the M5 but now the 530 does it upon occasion??
    Temp sensors on both cars are OK. I don't know how to interrogate the IHKA modules?
    ( e34)
    '91 525i calypso/parchment (Big Red)
    '92 525i calypso/parchment ( parts)
    '95 525i alpenweiss/parchment, 5spd( parts)
    ( e39)
    '01 530i Msport susp. anthracite/gray
    '02 525i Msport susp. jet black/sand
    '02 M5 jet black/blk-silverstone
    (e53)
    '06 X5 alpenweiss/truffle brown

My Cars
    E39 M5, 525..e34 525 x3
    Ok,
    Here's the latest with my issue with the '01, 530. A/C works, but the compressor shuts off at idle speeds sometimes. If I'm moving, the air is ice cold from the driver's side vent but somewhat cold from the passengers side. In a quick search, and it pointed to the R-134 being low.
    Bought an A/C recharging bottle and it shows the system being full, using the supplied gauge on the low pressure side? The aux. fan does not come on when the A/C is engaged? What to check? Thanks,
    ( e34)
    ( e39)
    (e53)

My Cars
    E39 535i
    I'd say your aux fan is toast.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by will308 View Post
    Ok,
    Here's the latest with my issue with the '01, 530. A/C works, but the compressor shuts off at idle speeds sometimes. If I'm moving, the air is ice cold from the driver's side vent but somewhat cold from the passengers side. In a quick search, and it pointed to the R-134 being low.
    Bought an A/C recharging bottle and it shows the system being full, using the supplied gauge on the low pressure side? The aux. fan does not come on when the A/C is engaged? What to check? Thanks,
    Try starting your own threads people. Just cuz a guy had problems with the same system in the car, doesn't mean your problem is same...

If its only one side, then it could be the left/right controls. Each side has both a heater water valve for its own heater core, and a temp control blend flap (that's what makes for the independent temp control). If your heater valve isn't closing all the way, or the blend flap isn't closing all the way, the passenger air might be getting heated when its not supposed to be...

"Add refrigerant" is actually a RARE actual solution, despite what the immerwebz clown circus might say.

Because if you don't have 'frigerant, then it got out somewhere, and just adding more ain't gonna fix the leak. Granted, on beaters I have had luck tightening up some lines and doing a fill and pray and getting it to work slightly-better-for-a-short-time-stopgap-only, but, even if you WERE low on 'frigergoo, then it usually means air has gotten in there, and the system will run really really poorly with air in it (and be bad for the internals...) So if you do want to go down that route, the better way is to: Add dye, look for leaks, try to fix leaks, then get a vac pump and pull vac on the system before putting the frigergoo in.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 M5, 525..e34 525 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgEdAyS View Post
    I'd say your aux fan is toast.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Thanks and it could be?...I had a to replace the aux fan on my 525..but in that situation, nothing worked at all...no blower...nothing at all. Not sure it's the aux fan?
    ( e34)
    ( e39)
    (e53)

My Cars
    E39 M5, 525..e34 525 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Try starting your own threads people. Just cuz a guy had problems with the same system in the car, doesn't mean your problem is same...

If its only one side, then it could be the left/right controls. Each side has both a heater water valve for its own heater core, and a temp control blend flap (that's what makes for the independent temp control). If your heater valve isn't closing all the way, or the blend flap isn't closing all the way, the passenger air might be getting heated when its not supposed to be...

"Add refrigerant" is actually a RARE actual solution, despite what the immerwebz clown circus might say.

Because if you don't have 'frigerant, then it got out somewhere, and just adding more ain't gonna fix the leak. Granted, on beaters I have had luck tightening up some lines and doing a fill and pray and getting it to work slightly-better-for-a-short-time-stopgap-only, but, even if you WERE low on 'frigergoo, then it usually means air has gotten in there, and the system will run really really poorly with air in it (and be bad for the internals...) So if you do want to go down that route, the better way is to: Add dye, look for leaks, try to fix leaks, then get a vac pump and pull vac on the system before putting the frigergoo in.
    My thought was to keep the treads together?? What do I know?? Obviously not a lot about the A/C system....lol
    I get what you're saying about the heater blend valve....could be a separate issue?
    I can hear/feel when the compressor disengages. It will re-engage and the air blows ice cold. Haven't had a lot of time to diagnose this....one culprit keeping the aux. fan from running might be fuse # 75.
    Just trying the quick remedies right now. I'll post once this gets sorted. Might help others with the same issue? Thanks for the response.
    ( e34)
    ( e39)
    (e53)

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by will308 View Post
    .........A/C works, but the compressor shuts off at idle speeds sometimes. If I'm moving, the air is ice cold from the driver's side vent but somewhat cold from the passengers side. ............The aux. fan does not come on when the A/C is engaged? What to check? Thanks,
    If compressor clutch disengages at idle, this is not a heater valve problem. Clutch will disengage if compressor discharge pressure is too high. High discharge pressure can be caused by over charge or insufficient air moving over the condenser. Since your condenser fan isn't working, start there.
    Heater valve might be responsible for right/left vent temp difference, but this can also be caused by low refrigerant charge. Need to keep compressor running before looking at other issues.

My Cars
    E39 M5, 525..e34 525 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    If compressor clutch disengages at idle, this is not a heater valve problem. Clutch will disengage if compressor discharge pressure is too high. High discharge pressure can be caused by over charge or insufficient air moving over the condenser. Since your condenser fan isn't working, start there.
    Heater valve might be responsible for right/left vent temp difference, but this can also be caused by low refrigerant charge. Need to keep compressor running before looking at other issues.
    Now that makes sense. Aux fan is now the primary suspect. When I wanted to charge the system, the pressure gauge showed the low pressure side in the yellow, indicating too much pressure. Thanks,
    ( e34)
    ( e39)
    (e53)

My Cars
    E39 M5, 525..e34 525 x3
    Wanted to let everyone know my issue was the aux fan. Installed a new one and ice cold A/C. Compressor doesn't disengage at idle like before.
    Thank you all for the help.
    ( e34)
    ( e39)
    (e53)

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Strange, but I guess make sense? I had not working fan as well, but my AC was working without any problems. Tho I was suggested not to use when idle, because it will start to throw away freon.
    But in my case it was fuse in the trunk. Which was hard to find, because it's not called as AUX fan fuse.

And just for information. I'm pretty sure that AC doesn't throw errors about fan not working. That error will be found on engine.
    Not all E39s needs temp sensor for AC. Mine didn't worked when it was ripped off and I just connected both wires to get +50 for that time for AC to work. And I have saw with my own eyes when my friends car didn't gave a ..... about sensor and was blowing like there's no tomorrow on "-40C".

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by TooEasyL2P View Post
    Not all E39s needs temp sensor for AC. Mine didn't worked when it was ripped off and I just connected both wires to get +50 for that time for AC to work.
    Well, I think you exactly proved it DOES need a temp sensor, although you 'faked it into thinking it had one' by shorting the wires. Re: your friends car, OK maybe indeed there are some early cars that don't need it (or is your friends car a super-base model without auto-climate control? I can imagine those might not have the dependency... but since this board is mostly USA based, every single car sent here got full climate control so for the most part that rule holds...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 530D
    Well yes, mine needed temp sensor and that's why I faked it.
    But I know more than one that doesn't need one. Maybe those cars are "fixed" somewhere else to trick AC. But car shows -40C and AC works.
    Maybe webasta has something to do with it. He doesn't have one (there was one, but not working or removed). Mine is working.
    And when I set timer it checks temperature to turn on ventilation or webasta. Maybe if you don't have one it doesn't care and let's you to turn on AC.
    I know that ventilation and AC are different things, but maybe temperature check is inactive if webasta isn't found.