Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Back in the E38 Game. Transmission Issues. $500 2001 740il Ressurection.

My Cars
    07’ 750li; 01’ 740il
    It’s driving me nuts. Replaced the fuel filter and regulator with one from the other car while waiting for a new one to show up tomorrow. Messed with every vacuum connection. Checked the regulator vacuum line and it’s clear. Return line clear from the filter to the tank. Swapped MAFs. Put in the other CCVV.. It’s burned 1/8 of a tank just idling in the driveway while troubleshooting. No CEL. When it starts and runs, it seems to do well. I had it idling very smooth, just extremely smokey.

My Cars
    07’ 750li; 01’ 740il
    Welp, she seized up trying to figure it out. Rich on # 4 still. Removed that plug and the usual. Wet. Tried clearing it. Nothing moved this time. Figured since the car was more level it was another cylinder maybe. Went through all of them. Finally, all plugs removed and it was still not turning. Lowered the lower plastics, and put a socket on it. Backed it off and heard a “clunk” into the pan. Turned the other way and a “clack”. Reverse, “clack”. Had the woman look at piston 4 because that’s where the sound seemed to originate from underneath. Yup, no movement. Broke a rod on #4. The sad thing is, I thought maybe I figured this shit out. The connector on the thermostat was really corroded. It was before I threw it together as well, but I thought I’d get some indication if it was messed up. I cleaned it really good right before the last attempt to start it. Now to throw the new parts in the donor car’s motor, swap, try again, change the rod only, just give the F up and cut my losses. I can afford another car, but I wanted something that was mine. Built from the dead, ya know?

- - - Updated - - -

I gotta say my boating forum is way more active and helpful. This place is pretty dead.

- - - Updated - - -

To all those that did try and help though, I do appreciate it! Thank you.

My Cars
    07’ 750li; 01’ 740il
    It’s really odd that #4 is clean and flooded and all others are burning and black with soot on the plugs. It’s certainly rich, but I don’t know if it’s worth the effort to throw the time into this motor to replace a rod and hope to figure it out. Maybe the other motor.
    Last edited by capnmoench; 06-16-2019 at 02:08 AM.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    I think that part of the “issue” of response is you are now into a totally different aspect than the title. Without rereading the 102 posts, it is hard to see how the transmission relates to a rod and flooding issue...
    That being said, I definitely see the ease of a new engine and it still qualifies as a “resurrection” but replacing the rod would be even more so.
    The M62 is a relatively available engine though, so the time/effort is questionable and I think most would go for the replacement. At least on the 38 side. You might get some more help in the 39 side as the Ho8 is rather active there.

2001 750iL DD74441
    E65 fan & clutch, E65 headrests, Front First Aid Kit, Ultimate Cup holder

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    07’ 750li; 01’ 740il
    [QUOTE=TheAngryBear;30279245]I think that part of the “issue” of response is you are now into a totally different aspect than the title. Without rereading the 102 posts, it is hard to see how the transmission relates to a rod and flooding issue...
    That being said, I definitely see the ease of a new engine and it still qualifies as a “resurrection” but replacing the rod would be even more so.
    The M62 is a relatively available engine though, so the time/effort is questionable and I think most would go for the replacement. At least on the 38 side. You might get some more help in the 39 side as the Ho8 is rather active there.

All true. Thank you. I was actually just about to start a new thread on it when that happened. The last thing I was looking at was a corroded connector for the thermostat. It may have not been working or sending a signal. It would run ok when the secondary air pump was on at startup then slowly revert into smoking until it was fogging everything out.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Bummer man. Yeah I would have thought you’d get a little more attention with this thread. Many guys may not have been too sure how to help. I wasn’t too helpful. Lots of help on the FB pages, E38Empire or E38 Forum.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    07’ 750li; 01’ 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Bummer man. Yeah I would have thought you’d get a little more attention with this thread. Many guys may not have been too sure how to help. I wasn’t too helpful. Lots of help on the FB pages, E38Empire or E38 Forum.

Cool. I’ll be looking into those FB pages. I was actually wondering if there was something like that after AngryBear said what he said. Since FB has become such a platform for everything and forums are a 35+ age thing. He is right about the “all over the place” nature of the post. I did the same on my boat rebuild on another forum and there was a lot more attention though. They seemed more into the story instead of breaking down into particulars. Different crowds.

I do appreciate your help and support. I am trying to get PA Soft to work on my laptop now. I want to interrogate the other car now and get the actual mileage. It’s reading 106K but has a tamper dot. If LCM matches or IKE or whichever has the correct VIN and mileage (maybe have the key read by the dealer, worst case scenario), I’ll do a compression test. If that’s good too, I’ll yank that out and move all of these new parts over the that engine on a stand. Then I’ll slap it in. That’s a lot of “ifs”.

It it is quite the bummer. I was worried about my timing job with a cheap timing kit and people having loosening VANOS bolts. It was tight and boy it idled smooth....until it didn’t. LOL. I think a lot of the issue with people having them loosen is a tightening order sequence though. Beisan says to do bank 2, then bank 1. If you look at where the stresses in the chain end up going you end up with slop between 1 and 2 and tension between the crank and bank 2 if you did bank 1 first. I didn’t get but 100 miles and several hours of idling to test that.

On the the note of the failure, I could hear blow by from the tailpipe on 1-4. And ever slight puff puff from that side of the exhaust. I’m curious to figure out why 4 wasn’t firing. It may have bent the rod when I tried to start the first time and it locked up. Judging by the plugs, they were all running rich. #4 was washed and clean. It was running strong until I gassed it one time at work. I think the mileage on that motor is too high to put much more effort into it with questionable results. The 106K sounds awesome if it’s true. I just worry I’ll mess that motor up too if I don’t find the reason this one flooded 4. That car sat a lot. It has the rodent nests to prove it.

Off to get an engine stand. More to come if I don’t get Hantavirus.

My Cars
    07’ 750li; 01’ 740il
    Will be taking the headliner and pillar covers from the donor and selling everything else cheap. $25 taillights, $50 no dead pixel cluster, $250 beyern wheels with 50% tires ($150 if I can get some core wheels and tires to roll her to the junkyard) , $50-$100 body panels, $75 ABS module, $100 for seats. Super cheap. Only have to recoup a small amount on that investment. Will be posting it on FB and Craigslist in the WA area today.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345