Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless Steel Clutch line

My Cars
    98 MZ3, 01 325iT
    Cool! Thanks Randy. Shipping will hurt, but I may as well get the best product on her. I'm a big fan of eliminating unnecessary connections for the reason you mentioned.

No CDV in the M, right?
    George Roffe
    98 M Roadster
    01 325iT

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I'm a Big Fan of this! Historically, I have always__when needed__replaced the clutch hose using the OE 3.0 hose (21 52 1 159 714) as it eliminates the additional short steel tube (potentially another fitting to leak, or seize) and bracket. The Rogue hose duplicates the 3.0 setup, and it's Teflon/braided stainless.

My recommendation is to use the Rogue product.
    Does that line have the CDV?

My Cars
    98 MZ3, 01 325iT
    Ah, found my answer I think....

The M does not have the CDV, but it has a restrictive line that (I guess) performs the same or similar function.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ght=lock+valve
    George Roffe
    98 M Roadster
    01 325iT

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I'm a Big Fan of this! Historically, I have always__when needed__replaced the clutch hose using the OE 3.0 hose (21 52 1 159 714) as it eliminates the additional short steel tube (potentially another fitting to leak, or seize) and bracket. The Rogue hose duplicates the 3.0 setup, and it's Teflon/braided stainless.

My recommendation is to use the Rogue product.
    Hey Randy, I just picked up rogue engineering SS line for my 2001 M roadster. Are you telling me that I do not need to disconnect the hard line from OE line and connect it to RE line before installing it? So I remove the OE line and install RE SS 1 to 1? It seems kind of short comparing to OE line.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe, M Coupé
    There are two general approaches the aftermarket takes to the braided lines. One preserves the hard line attached to the slave cylinder (line will have a female fitting). The other has a male fitting and bolts up to the slave replacing the hard line. If you use the version that screws in to the slave, you won’t have to worry about the CDV. If you use the female style, just remember to remove the CDV restrictor from the end of the hard line.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    There are two general approaches the aftermarket takes to the braided lines. One preserves the hard line attached to the slave cylinder (line will have a female fitting). The other has a male fitting and bolts up to the slave replacing the hard line. If you use the version that screws in to the slave, you won’t have to worry about the CDV. If you use the female style, just remember to remove the CDV restrictor from the end of the hard line.
    I guess I was talking about rogue engineering SS line for s54 engine. http://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogue-Engineering-Stainless-Steel-Clutch-Line_p_134.html Model SS-...-03. I believe it requires a removal of the hardline from OEM. I wonder if I can pick that part up new?
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 11-10-2018 at 11:54 AM.

My Cars
    98 MZ3, 01 325iT
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    I guess I was talking about rogue engineering SS line for s54 engine. http://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogu...ine_p_134.html Model SS-...-03. I believe it requires a removal of the hardline from OEM. I wonder if I can pick that part up new?
    I'm assuming the SS line is the same for each model and they fabricate a different hard line termination for each model. Can anyone with the RE SS line confirm?
    George Roffe
    98 M Roadster
    01 325iT

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
    I'm assuming the SS line is the same for each model and they fabricate a different hard line termination for each model. Can anyone with the RE SS line confirm?
    I think I saw this covered in another similar thread, by for s54 it comes with female connector on both ends and OE hard line is required.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe, M Coupé
    Looking over the Rogue web page, they make a big deal about preserving the factory hard line. I believe either approach should work fine. I have put a braided line on one of my BMWs at a club DIY when it was on a lift. That line was set up to preserve the factory hard line. Really easy install. Pulled the CDV off the hard line at the same time. Had access to a pressure bleeder, too, so there were no complications with trapped air in the lines.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster S52
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...for-M-Roadster

Perhaps look into changing to the 325i clutch slave. Check out this Thread. It cured my engagement issue.
    Bill

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Roadster
    I have a 2002 Z3 3.0i. Want to replace the OEM rubber clutch line with a stainless steel line. Rogue Engineering and UUC both told me they do not make a clutch line for my appication. I did do a CDV delete. Reading this thread it seems some of you have used these brands with success. What clutch line did you order?

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Hey, I have the same car- 2002 3.0. I used the Bimmerworld clutch line:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWo...-536-0002.html

I think it's very likely any of these others mentioned will work with the 3.0 and with all the Z3 models that have the small hard line at the clutch slave cylinder... The Bimmerworld one is listed for all types of Z3, since it's the type that replaces both the rubber line and the small hard line if you have one.)

(By the way, ignore the e46 video on that page, it will anti-help you)

I wrote up my notes on this process for the 3.0 in this thread if you want to read it:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Hard-to-shift
    Last edited by raubritter; 01-26-2019 at 08:03 AM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe
    $18.50 but I had someone else install it because I don't have the specific bleeder and didn't want to deal with it: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...CLU&SVSVSI=625

My Cars
    2001 BMW z3 3.0
    Same as dude above me I got the Goodridge braided stainlesssteel line simply because it was from PelicanParts and cost 18 dollars, although unlike him I installed mine on the 2001 3.0. It’s quite a bit shorter than 2001 3.0 oem so I recommend getting the Clutch Delay Valve Delete if you plan on simply removing the stock Clutch Delay Valve I’m not sure it would stretch far enough. Shifting’s never been better though and no leaks in the past few hundred miles since install so I recommend. Also you must compress plunger to bleed, you just must.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12