Thread: Spark plug boots? Newbie

My Cars
    2001 525i wagon

Spark plug boots? Newbie

Hey gang--first post BMW newbie
    just scored a 2001 525i sport wagon--my first BMW so I am about to replace the spark plugs and wondered if I must replace the boots as well? This car has 95K and has had boots replaced once--I just can't see why I would have to if I am gentle with what is in there--car runs perfect but as new owner wanted to do oil, filters, plugs etc so I could start out right
    So far I am really enjoying this unit--she runs great but service records indicate only one plug change in the history
    I also have a Dodge hemi truck with 16 plugs and if you don't swap them on time you can't get them out so .......figured I wanted to start off fresh and go from there
    Thanks

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Welcome to the Forum,
    you're off to a good start, as it seems you appreciate preventive maintenance.
    Go ahead and replace the plugs, the boots should be fine.
    Here is a good site for parts:https://www.fcpeuro.com/?ads_cmpid=8...SABEgKQE_D_BwE

My Cars
    2001 525i wagon
    Thanks!!! When I am able to post attachments I will show you guys one heck of a nice wagon--I have an old man neighbor--I helped him sell a few classic muscle cars --he has a lot of cars--he asked the other day if I was interested in the wagon--he was thinning the herd - so I jumped on it--little payback for helping him out. It is Silver / grey interior spotless--I went through all of the records and it has had the usual--several cam sensors, VC gasket, plugs, boots thermostat housing deal, all belts, power steering hoses etc I have ordered new windshield trim rubber as old was the only cosmetic imperfection--Car is very clean--So far love the way it runs and drives --so now I am a student of BMW care. I am an engine builder by trade--have been muscle car guy and drag racer all my life but the wife Loved this thing so....the adventure starts now.
    Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Glad to help,
    btw,be sure to check out the e39 Forum section,
    as well as the General BMW Mechanical Help section,
    to help with any issues that may appear.

My Cars
    2001 525i wagon
    When will I be able to post attachments or images as a newbie I notice now I do not have permission

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Yep,
    after 10 posts, you're at 3 now.

My Cars
    2001 525i wagon
    OK
    Well we have put about 500 miles on so far and wow! I am so happy with this unit--I was always a kind of BMW well..ugh..hater because they had such a rep of unreliable and high cost to fix and well..when you see the depreciation it was just stunning but wow!! I really really love this car--
    I got very lucky in that a good neighborhood mechanic was a BMW dealer tech and now has a repair place very near--he said he would help me take care of it--I am thinking of doing a trans fluid service---I am keeping an eye on cooling system and with 95K miles thinking the next lick I hit of maybe doing a cooling system refresh--I rec'd my new windshield trim rubber today and have been watching Youtubes etc on how to do that --plan on doing that tomorrow
    Should I consider with the trans service or leave it alone? It works Perfect and has been babied since new
    car has some aggressive brake pads and it stops perfect but has really dusted the wheels in the 4 days we have been driving--rotors look like they have been attacked by race pads but all is working great
    tried to reset oil reminder and got outside temp turned to centigrade by accident --oh well back to the manual
    Learning as I go but find myself hoping this becomes a long relationship

- - - Updated - - -

OK
    Well we have put about 500 miles on so far and wow! I am so happy with this unit--I was always a kind of BMW well..ugh..hater because they had such a rep of unreliable and high cost to fix and well..when you see the depreciation it was just stunning but wow!! I really really love this car--
    I got very lucky in that a good neighborhood mechanic was a BMW dealer tech and now has a repair place very near--he said he would help me take care of it--I am thinking of doing a trans fluid service---I am keeping an eye on cooling system and with 95K miles thinking the next lick I hit of maybe doing a cooling system refresh--I rec'd my new windshield trim rubber today and have been watching Youtubes etc on how to do that --plan on doing that tomorrow
    Should I consider with the trans service or leave it alone? It works Perfect and has been babied since new
    car has some aggressive brake pads and it stops perfect but has really dusted the wheels in the 4 days we have been driving--rotors look like they have been attacked by race pads but all is working great
    tried to reset oil reminder and got outside temp turned to centigrade by accident --oh well back to the manual
    Learning as I go but find myself hoping this becomes a long relationship

My Cars
    2001 525i wagon
    I have to say
    I have a 1999 Miata NB--have really enjoyed that car and the Miata Forums have been a real blessing
    I race a vintage 1966 front engine dragster with an alky injected Hilborn SBC with some nitro--that is my passion
    I drag raced Mopar muscle cars for decades and have built over 500 big block and small block Mopar engines for clients
    I build and sell the heck out of 289 Fords just because I love them as an engine builder and they are still very plentiful--Ford made over a million in just over a year
    My dad is a Model A Ford guru and so I have been exposed to the resto world and car life since I was born

I have a pretty varied background so I am a late comer to the BMW world--I would have Never been tempted but for the chance to get this car from a great friend--
    so I am jumping in --hope the car Gods will shine some good luck on me and am buoyed by the fact that the minute my mechanic tech saw my car he tried to buy it on the spot---

Thanks for the welcome here and I will try and be a good new member

My Cars
    2001 525i wagon
    OK
    Windshield trim rubber is IN finally Whew! Sides were so easy a 5th grader could do it
    The top was a PIA I trimmed the little sealing lips off the back edge ground it smooth with a scotchbrite pad on my angle grinder and finally it popped in Just not enough room in that area to cram all that in Looks great! BTW I used aftermarket rubber not OEM
    Replaced plugs so now I am ready to roll this summer

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    BTW I used aftermarket rubber not OEM
    Hence the installation difficulties.

My Cars
    2001 525i wagon
    OK Next

95K miles
    Do I change the automatic trans fluid and filter or leave it alone? It runs and shifts perfect

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Since you're still below 100K mi.,
    I would go ahead and replace fluid and filter, optimally every 30K,or at least 50K mi thereafter,
    Just be definitely sure of model trans and fluid type required.
    look for a tag, on the trans-or under hood specifying this,
    post back with what you find.