Thread: Cruise Control help?

My Cars
    1983 BMW 633CSi

Cruise Control help?

The cruise control in my '83 633 (U.S. manual) has not worked since I bought the car. Although I don't think I will use it much, I have to know that it works! I know many of you understand. In any case, there seems to be little information available on troubleshooting these systems. Based on what I have learned so far, here is what I have done:

Fuses good

Checked the brake and clutch switches - both working and seemingly adjusted correctly

Control stalk - tested/working

Checked that the Blue and White connectors are plugged into the correct locations on the back of the instrument cluster

Control Module is present and plugged in, but don't know how to test it? Is there a way to test it prior to sending it off for repair that it may or may not need? The board and solder joints look fine.

Actuator is present, and connected - how do you test these?

Thanks, I appreciated any help.

My Cars
    '86 635CSi, '08 128i
    I'd start with the electrical troubleshooting manual. I grabbed a copy of the cruise control page for the early production cars:
    Screenshot 2018-06-27 at 10.08.44 PM.png

I'd start off with the ground sense on at number 9 pin, since it seems odd that they'd call that out specifically. You're sure the clutch switch is the correct unit? I swapped mine around once on an old E30 during a transmission swap and it made for quite the little brain teaser. They're near-identical externally, but opposites electronically. If I recall correctly, the clutch switches have a red plastic actuator rod; brakes are black.
    Last edited by DesktopDave; 06-27-2018 at 10:16 PM.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 633CSi
    Dave - Did not know that, but i will check!
    Thanks.
    Scott

My Cars
    84 E24, 91 M5, E36's,E46
    This is when I miss user CW6er....He would usually copy and paste a previous reply from a similar question with all the diagrams and a great, logical way to start and step through it...(*sigh*) Whatever happened to him anyway?

I will at least add that mine functioned perfectly until the actuator became possessed and started having seizures if I did not disconnect one of the parts (that all have to be connected for it to work). My first choice was the clutch switch. At least that failure mode is easy to diagnose as it makes a terrific knocking noise if you turn the key to "on"... it's apparently a common problem. I have not fixed it since you can't get to it without removing the stupid power steering reservoir (it's right there, dangit!) and I don't have a lot of spare time (too lazy).

'84 Euro 635CSi Polaris/Pacific, for sale (maybe)
    Home of the Silver Bimmers: '91 M5, '84 Euro E24, "99 E36, "98 E36, '02 E46 xiT (yes, all silver)