Thread: Oil pressure switch

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL

Oil pressure switch

I just had my oil filter housing welded due to a crack that was causing an oil leak that was pretty bad.
    On the way home from work I went over a speed bump and the car went into limp mode with no eml light and I could smell oil. I checked the level and decided to milk it home and when I got there it had gone down about 2 quarts in 20 kilometers and I noticed the oil pressure connector was bent so I think the wires are broken.
    Will an open switch cause the limp mode?
    Car is going back to either repair the weld or check the O rings on the lines.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I am not sure, probably it depends on the Motronic version, yours is the older M1.2, ETM is here http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e32/
    maybe you can check where the wires go from the sensor
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Thanks, looks like it is only for the light in the intrument cluster and doesn't go to the Motronic so my engine running on half the cylinders is somthing else. I have tried unplugging each coil and it dies with one side disconneced and both have spark. Tried either fuel pump fuse and it runs with either out. Maybe the mechanic can figure it out when he re looks at the oil filter housing.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Well the leaks are fixed but the engine running on 6 cylinders is still there. Swapping the coils anf AFM didn't change the problem.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Are you sure both fuel pumps work and have pressure of 3 bar? Quick check: ignition off, squeeze the 2 fuel hoses in engine bay left side by hand. Then use a jumper cable, connect to B+ post and touch the other side on top of fuse #23, you should hear the fuel pump running, check the fuel hose again.
    Same procedure with fuse # 24 for the other bank.
    Do you have any tester? A Peake fault code tester is very handy, fits in the glovebox and easy to use.
    When you switch ignition on, does the EML light in the cluster come on for 2 seconds and then go off? If not, limpmode.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    EML light comes on for a couple of seconds then off. I will have to get the car later from the mechanic since he can't figure it out. I will try the hose pinch when I get it home. I do not have the peake tester.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Got it home, really weak power, even downshifts in cruise control going up a slight incline to maintain speed.
    Took a pair of needle nose and squeezed each fuel line and one side was not pressureized. Fuses were both good and had 13.2V.
    Waited until it cooled down then emptied out the trunk amd pulled out the pumps and float assembly. Tested both with 13.2v and one was dead so I ordered two from rockauto.com and a strainer. The other pump didn't sound so good so might as well change them both.
    Last edited by f00g0057; 06-29-2018 at 06:12 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 1988 750IL
    Rockauto sent me a misboxed fuel pump. One was correct but the other was a Bosch in a Spectra box which was not a plug and play. It was correct for the 750 but I would have to cut the terminals and crimp the universal ones which I won't do so I sent it back through DHL for store credit and only changed the dead one.
    20180710_183045.jpg20180710_183327.jpg20180710_183347.jpg
    Last edited by f00g0057; 07-15-2018 at 06:31 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    all the newer Bosch pumps look like the black one, new style original Bosch come with plug + pigtail to change from the older style Bosch like the Spectra