RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Which Control arm kit is the best bang for the buck?

My Cars
    2004 325xi

Which Control arm kit is the best bang for the buck?

2004 325xi sedan

My control arm bushings are cracked. All components look like they've seen better days. Want to replace the whole thing. Which system/kit is the best value? Don't want to spend a fortune, but wouldn't mind an upgrade, since I'm replacing.
    Also... Not looking to start a debate over products or styles. Just want "Add these to cart" advice. Daily driver. Family car.
    Thanks
    Shaymer

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    It really depends on how much you want to replace:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...10piececakit-l

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e46-e46cakitxi

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...em-31129063163

And then, of course, you'll need to consider the labor charges, and if you get the kit with tie-rods, an alignment.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Plenty of options. Lemforder and TRW are the OE suppliers, I believe - that's where I'd be looking. In your use polyurethane is going to be too harsh (at least for most people's taste). FCP Euro offers kits and a lifetime warranty.

EDIT: And Chris beat me to it.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2004 325xi
    Thank you. I was actually on their site, but wanted to check in here 1st.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect. Thank you. That was kind of what I was looking for.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I have use Meyle HD on both my E-36 and now the E-46. I can say that from my experience, they are good quality "Made in Germany" and do last for some time. The E-36 has about 50k miles and when I sold the car, it was still pretty tight. Now the FCABs are on the second trip, as they only tend to last at best 75k miles. While I could have reused the ones on the E-46 as they only had about 50k on them, I just didn't want to do the job again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMW-Mey...cAAOxy9eVRQQx2
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    01 325xi sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Plenty of options. Lemforder and TRW are the OE suppliers, I believe - that's where I'd be looking. In your use polyurethane is going to be too harsh (at least for most people's taste). FCP Euro offers kits and a lifetime warranty.

EDIT: And Chris beat me to it.
    Personally, I love polyurethane... Chris replaced all my bushings (front and rear) and rear subframe mounts with poly (H&R/Bilstein combo is not known for a cushy ride to begin with), but I love it. I drive on some fairly rough roads, and still don't mind the feel (it also passed the baby sleep test). That being said, I had a 92 Prelude with poly all around and knew what I was getting into. Just be informed, but don't let all the fools over at e46 fanatics, raving about how poly FCA bushings ruined their car, dissuade you! To each his own!

Edit: This can be addictive and expensive... Ask me (or Chris) how I know!
    Last edited by mry82; 07-01-2018 at 07:46 PM.
    H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein B8s, and poly bushings (Thanks Chris!); Valeo SMF & non-SA Clutch, CDV delete, and E60 Shifter w/ ZHP knob; Beisan System VANOS Seals...
    Mtech-II Front Bumper (PO got bumped in parking lot!); Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights... Lots of PM!!!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thanks, Glenn! Yes indeed, you have spent very serious money on making your car very special. Cushy is for Cadillacs.

And yes, I would absolutely replace every rubber bushing in my suspension with polyurethane. Rubber is for tires.

Still, my car exceeds 100 mph, every day. It does dirt roads and race tracks, too. So, well, I'm not an average driver. That said, I don't even like average drivers, because, really, they can't drive sheep. (Old Scottish expression).

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    I'm very familiar with polyurethane - my 2002 has had a full poly suspension for well over a decade, probably closing in on two at this point. Autox, track schools, a few rallies, and countless miles on battered Northeast roads, both paved and not. I like it, I know it, and I'm willing to live with the compromises, but many are not. I don't tend to recommend polyurethane suspension bushings except to those I know have rather specific preferences.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    01 325xi sedan
    I definitely did not intend to suggest you were not familiar or informed; my intention was only to inform the OP that poly often gets undue criticism, and to make an informed decision, while sharing my experiences. I really don't understand what a lot of people were expecting from poly when they end up complaining once it is done (and I am not saying you are one of those people). I guess they did not do their research! I guess you may be right that they might not be the preference for average drivers, and maybe I'm not average myself (maybe in skill, but not in preferences, haha).

Cheers!

edit: I "third" using FCP, with their lifetime warranty, for typical replacement parts. Most manufacturers that offer poly also have lifetime warranties, so you are covered whichever route you take.
    Last edited by mry82; 07-01-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein B8s, and poly bushings (Thanks Chris!); Valeo SMF & non-SA Clutch, CDV delete, and E60 Shifter w/ ZHP knob; Beisan System VANOS Seals...
    Mtech-II Front Bumper (PO got bumped in parking lot!); Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights... Lots of PM!!!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    No one who's answered here thinks of themselves as "average" drivers. Average drivers are the ones we curse at, every day.....the ones who take 12 maneuvers to parallel park....The ones that believe hydroplaning happens at exactly 50 mph, the ones that don't know how many cylinders their engine has.

To me, the wheels need to be kept in the correct alignments of the design. When you can kick the wheel of a parked car backwards by ~an inch, with your foot, well....that wheel's going to be SERIOUSLY misaligned when the tire hits a pothole, or the driver applies the brakes hard.

I admit: I don't try to convince "average" drivers to buy poly.....nope....if you ever try to do that, you're permanently the demon when they think that their fixed suspension is just too harsh, compared to their broken previous parts. The same with MANY other parts of the car. I can't recommend Yellow Bilsteins to the "average" driver, at work.... but that's damned sure what I recommend to any enthusiast, for his road car.

All this said, I really have not ever been able to perceive any NEGATIVE characteristics from changing to poly bushings.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    01 325xi sedan
    I'm in that camp as well Chris, and also, totally off topic... I don't get on the forums a lot, and admit that sometimes it's just to read your most recent witticisms and non PC comments regarding snakes, mountain folk, women (my wife thought butt compliments should be more warmly received than your experience a while back), and episodes of moon shattering!

Back to topic... Shaymer, I hope we did not make this too debate like! "Add these to cart" (but only if you like to feel the road).
    Last edited by mry82; 07-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.