Thread: Quick facelift tails question

My Cars
    1998 528i

Quick facelift tails question

I have been searching all over. I know the retrofit kit is best for my car. I dont have 500 for that but do have a set of us spec hella tails. My car is an 03/98 so lcm 2 I believe uncodable based on my research. I can't seem to find the ballast and wiring only.

My question is what exactly would happen if I wired them in as is? Would i just have bulb out warnings or would it ruin wiring, modules, or tails?

Thanks just trying to see if I should try and return the tails tomorrow or if I can use them.
    1998 BMW 528i My First Build

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstbmw528 View Post
    I have been searching all over. I know the retrofit kit is best for my car. I dont have 500 for that but do have a set of us spec hella tails. My car is an 03/98 so lcm 2 I believe uncodable based on my research. I can't seem to find the ballast and wiring only.

My question is what exactly would happen if I wired them in as is? Would i just have bulb out warnings or would it ruin wiring, modules, or tails?

Thanks just trying to see if I should try and return the tails tomorrow or if I can use them.
    Don't forget you have to smash the tail light buckets (mounting point on the car) to get them to fit. Many have experienced water leaks into the trunk after doing this, so beware.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thanks. I do know that and between being unable to find ballasts an having the wrong lcm I think in going to attempt to return the tails today and make sure to understand things a bit better next time I want to modify it.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Why return them??? Hang on t them, figure out what you have to do, hammer in the section in the bucket to fit them, use them. Most junk yards don’t do returns anyway.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1998 528i
    I'm not all that worried about the modification for install piece I can square that away what is more scaring me away is the issue of finding the ballasts without paying upwards of 150 dollars and me having an lcm 2.

Truthfully if it was just a bulb warning and it wouldn't burn my tails or other electronics I would probably install them as is but I cannot seem to find out what the long term effects of no ballast and incorrect lcm are. I didn't realize facelifting my taillights was going to be a over 300 dollar project. Just ignorance on my part mainly.

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Hate to be the “search guy” but if you search the forum you’ll find a thread from about a year ago where Philly98540i documented what was required on his 98 E39.

Basically, we both ended up doing the same thing. Cut the oem harness off and solder on the new harness. Smash in the light buckets so the new lights fit. Drill new holes for the lower bolts. Get an LCMIIIB or newer and program it using NCS expert. We also used a bead of butyl around the perimeter so we don’t get any leaks. Voila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thanks bud I had found that information after purchasing the tails via the search maybe not that thread specifically but I know what is required my issue is I'm having a hard time finding ballasts and lcm. I also didn't realize how much of a monetary investment the modification would be when I happened up on the rails.

Thanks for being the search guy because every now and then everyone needs a reminder to search and be self sufficient.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Side note if my tails are in fact non returnable then I will likely attempt to locate a lcm 3 and grab pa soft and DIS and see what happens and of course use this forum extensively.

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    You will need a IIIB or newer. You don’t need ballasts and a new lcm. Just one or the other.

You will need to use PA soft to zero out the mileage on the lcm. Then you can reset the vin and when you turn on the ignition the lcm will pull the mileage from the IKE (cluster). Then you can go in with your choice of programming software and set the LCM to the correct settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    LCMIIIB allows you to disable the bulb out warning but it does not contain a ballast for the tails. A ballast is necessary to ensure LEDs receive the correct amperage and voltage. A car's voltage changes constantly so not using a ballast will cause the LEDs to flicker and fail prematurely. A generic LED driver would do the same job as the ballast but you need to know the amp rating of the LEDs to select the correct one.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thank you for the suggest how do I figure out the LED amp rating or is that easily found via Google?

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    Once I installed the LCMIIIB and got rid of the "boosters engaged" warning, I found that I can forget about the flicker for long periods of time. LOL!

I suggest searching for pictures of the ballast and documentation to find the output amperage.

If that fails, although less accurate, use the same approach to find the wattage of the LED bulb. Then you can divide it by 12 to get the amps because (W = A x V). The reason why it is less accurate is because we don't know if the wattage provided is the maximum rating or actual output. If it is the maximum, and you drive them to it, they won't last long. Safest bet is to drive them to put out 50-75% the stated wattage.

At this point, I think the easiest solution is to cut out the LED bulb opening, put a standard halogen bulb in the bulb holder and be done with it. No LCM upgrade or ballasts needed. If I burn out an LED, I am going exploring with Dremel
    Last edited by JaxPlanet; 06-25-2018 at 01:28 AM.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Take a look here. Start at post #117. All the details for updating the tails should be there if you follow through.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...enon-etc/page5

Post #140 has NCS Coding details for updated LCM.
    Last edited by philly98540; 06-25-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thank you for the replies that was exactly what I was looking for I just wonder how long the LED would survive unregulated until I was able to change and code the LCM.
    1998 BMW 528i My First Build

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    Two years and mine are still working without ballasts/drivers so you probably have some time to figure it out.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Yea I just put mine in today just working between silicone and weather stripping to stop them from leaking in my trunk.

I'll probably hit lkq tomorrow to snag a lcm 3 and my pa soft will be here on 7/5 so hopefully I can learn pretty quick to recode the vin and options.

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstbmw528 View Post
    lcm 3
    To be specific, you need an LCM III "B" or newer to recognize facelift tails
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1998 528i
    I have a lcm 3 b and bmw scanner just have to solve some driver issues and it will be squared away.