Thread: Steering Rack Play at 3 and 9 on driver side.

My Cars
    e36

Steering Rack Play at 3 and 9 on driver side.

My car driver side wheel has play at 3 and 9. The passenger side has no play at all. When I look under it while shaking the wheel, the only things that I see that is moving is the steering rack. If it is the steering rack, why doesnt the other side move as well?

Here is a video of the issue.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRKL...ature=youtu.be

The following parts were changed.

The tie rod was just changed. After I switched the tie rods, I noticed that it was pulling to one side, alignment didnt help. (possible I got a bad one?)

The control arm was changed recently (issue was there before and after it)
    FCAB are AKG New.

Any help appreciated.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    what brand tie rod?

My Cars
    e36
    lemforder, control arm is meyle hd. I am thinking of just getting some cheap aftermarket one just to see if that is the problem. If so, I can return the lemforder one for warranty, theyre brand new...
    Apple refers to the fruit not the computer...

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You have to run the engine when doing this, the hydraulic system has to pressurize. Re-test it.

You have to inspect your ball joints at the tire. (looks like there is more movement at the tire).

Do not buy cheap control arms, they will have garbage ball joints that will not last!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    e36
    It's not the control arm, I thought that was it and replaced it, still there. Also, I never knew the engine had to be on while doing the shake test.
    Last edited by apple master; 06-24-2018 at 06:51 PM.

My Cars
    e36
    The new tie rod didnt fix the issue. Now the passenger side is showing that its loose, so both side is moving...both tire moves more when the engine is on.

It seems like turning the engine on pressurized the steering rack and cause the passenger side tire to move more than it should. I think that the only reason why the driver side tire move is because it is close to the steering column. This still doesnt answer why I am getting tramlining at highway speed.
    Last edited by apple master; 07-22-2018 at 11:06 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Setup a video camera, record while you move the tire and post the video so we can see. Take video of all the joint areas.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    Stop. This could be very dangerous.

The power steering pump is turned not with electricity but via one of your engine belts so yes, the engine needs to be running for the power steering to work.

As soon as you said "I noticed that it was pulling to one side, alignment didn't help. (possible I got a bad one?)" alarms bells when off. Did the alignment shop warn you of anything? Did you get a printout of the results? Are you confident your wheels are balanced?

When you say "why doesn't the other side move as well?" and "passenger side tire to move more than it should" are you saying that both sides (of the steering rack) move independently? If so your rack is broken because that's a solid piece of metal.

If that's not what you mean you need to try and explain it a little better. The video shows the steering rack shaft moving in response to shaking the wheel, I assume your steering wheel, and the other side of the rack, were all moving in concert?
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    e36
    The pulling to one side stop when I switched the tires to the other side. After the alignment, I switched it back and it started pulling again. I did not have this issue before changing the tire rod, this only happened after I changed the tie rod. The shop did not warn me of anything.

The tires were road forced balanced a year ago. I rarely drive the car so I did not put more than 2 thousand miles on the car since then. I will post specs of the alignment later.

For the tires moving, only the driver side has a lot more give at 3 and 9. The passenger side barely moves at all. I am assuming that is due to the fact that the driver side is closer to the steering column. After I turn on the engine and shut off the engine. I can move both passenger and driver side at 3 and 9. I am assuming that the left over fluid in the rack gives it more leeway in pulling. After a while, only the driver side can be moved. I should also note, that I have to force the movement, its not easy.

The tires appears to be moving in unison, with the other tire. The steering wheel moves with the tire movement. If I have someone holding the steering wheel, it is more difficult to move the tires on the driver side. I hope this gives a clearer picture.
    Last edited by apple master; 07-24-2018 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    Your alignment issue is still a concern but a proper alignment shop should be able to advise you what is wrong. Are your two front tyres worn evenly?

The wobbly wheel could actually be a wheel bearing or control arm, again any reasonable mechanic should be able to diagnose that.
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    e36
    My car exhibits almost exatcly the same issue as the person at the link, except i changed the entire contol arm thinking that was the issue. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bim...t=952475&amp=1