Thread: Clutch Slave debacle -- need advice

My Cars
    E36 M3

Clutch Slave debacle -- need advice

Hey guys,

My teenage son and I are working on an E36 M3 and just installed new Clutch Master Cyl and Slave. We were bleeding the system and I was testing pressure at the pedal when something clearly "gave". I determined it was the slave blowing apart. So, I have slave parts down in my bell housing. What would you do?

Is the inspection panel on Passenger side simple to remove? I'm hoping a magnet can fish the parts out maybe?

If not, thoughts on separating trans from motor? I'd prefer less work to more at this point... It's been a headache the whole way so far.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

My Cars
    96 328i coupe
    I'd just buck up and drop the trans, last thing you need is chunks of metal in the trans while your out driving it around

My Cars
    M3
    Pull the transmission, word of wise, NEVER push the clutch in unless you sure the fork is on it properly, if they don't have resistance while having hydrualic pressure pressing the clutch will blow them everytime lol.

Transmissions are easy, follow in order. Jack it up really high, remove exhaust, undo driveshaft, trans crossmember. Jack front of motor up (piece of wood) as far as it will go. Undo selector rod, Undo shifter (special clip on transmission). Then you'll see access to starter bolts and the top female torx bolts. Rest is self explanitory. Gl!
    Last edited by Mklock; 06-22-2018 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    - - - Updated - - -

Mklock -- This car was driven by previous owner, so I think the clutch fork should be functional - wouldn't you assume? Or are you talking about making sure the pushrod is contacting the fork correctly?

My Cars
    M3
    Making sure that little plunger is contacting the fork! It's quite easy to misalign it.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    Making sure that little plunger is contacting the fork! It's quite easy to misalign it.
    I bet that's what happened... Dangit. Appreciate the info, sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    I bet that's what happened... Dangit. Appreciate the info, sir.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Once I did that and got lucky fishing it out with a magnet. Once I did it and got unlucky and rather than pull the trans cut an access hole in the bell housing with about a 1 inch holesaw and got the part out and sealed up the hole. I had a spare trans so I knew where to cut and not hit a rib and I also had an inspection camera that, with some poking around and listening informed me pretty well where the part is. Many trans have access holes so it’s no big deal.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Oh, man, that give me hope! I thought about making an access hole and wondered if I could ever admit it to anyone afterwards- HaHa. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Once I did that and got lucky fishing it out with a magnet. Once I did it and got unlucky and rather than pull the trans cut an access hole in the bell housing with about a 1 inch holesaw and got the part out and sealed up the hole. I had a spare trans so I knew where to cut and not hit a rib and I also had an inspection camera that, with some poking around and listening informed me pretty well where the part is. Many trans have access holes so it’s no big deal.