Thread: Journey from drift pile to capable track car

My Cars
    1993 325i

Journey from drift pile to capable track car

I came across this LS1/T56 swapped e36 drift car (my apologies to the purists) on Facebook marketplace a couple of weeks ago. It was owned by a couple different YouTube personalities. Let me be clear here, I have absolutely zero interest in drifting, nor did I care that the car was somewhat known in the community (hopefully when I am finished, it won't be recognizable. I think drifting pretty stupid honestly..but to each their own. What really interested me about the car was the price. $7K is a bargain for a caged LS swap toy. Also, a little added bonus that made the deal very attractive was the year. In Maryland any car registered has to go through a state safety inspection and is required to go through emissions testing every two years. Being that its a '93, I can register and tag it Historic and avoid all of that.

I really don't have a specific direction I want to go with this car. I have owned 4 mazdaspeeds (two 3's and two 6's) that were pretty quick with a couple of them making nearly 300whp with all the bolt-on options and e85. I also owned an r32 Mini Cooper S that was a lot of fun on the back roads. The problem was that all of those were daily drivers. I have no experience driving a car on a track, but always wanted to get into it. What really held me back was the fear of having my only transportation getting wrecked. Now I have a sweet daily.. 1996 Honda Accord that just hit 35k. With that reliability, I have no worry about the BMW catching on fire or flying into a tree.

Anyway, I've started going through this thing and trying to clean it up. Its disgusting.
    Below are some pictures as it sat when I first picked it up. I'll post more once I've finished ripping off the plastidip and at least splashed a little water on it.

Be gentle... I've just rescued an abused puppy.

Last edited by dfrisch44; 06-22-2018 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Congrats on the acquisition. If you want to get into driving on track, I'd recommend NASA MidAtlantic. Specifically go talk to the chief instructor, Zach, who drives the wheels off an LS1 E30. He makes some neat videos, too:

My Cars
    98 328is
    mind if i ask who the personalities were? i cant think of any off hand that had an LS e36.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    mind if i ask who the personalities were? i cant think of any off hand that had an LS e36.
    because of the timing of this post, I think it was ricer miatas (youtube channel name lol) old car. It was posted for sale in the town next to me, I didn't know whose it was but someone commented on it saying that it was his old car so I'm guessing that he picked up that car

My Cars
    1985 535i
    I second NASA's HPDE program. Some of the drills I have seen done in HPDE 3 I feel are very neccesary, but never seen them done elsewhere. Especially the side by side drill.