Thread: s52 swap into 95 m3 with wiring question

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe 04 X5

s52 swap into 95 m3 with wiring question

Hey Guys, long story short I swapped a s52 (converted it to obd1) into a 95 m3 (09/94) build date car. The wiring harness I used was cut up and some of the connectors were snipped off under the intake manifold. I was able to repair everything effectively and the vehicle runs with no issues. I had to swap a new head into the s52 and ordered a obd1 head with both coolant temp sensor holes for both sensors to go in under the intake manifold. My vehicle is running with a check engine light currently stating e4 or 1223 ( I think that was the stomp code ) stating that the engine temp sensor is bad. Now both those sensors are new and in their correct locations because there different size threads and they can not be installed backwards. What I am curious and can not find on the internet anywhere is the color of the two wires that run to both those connectors that attach to these two sensors.

If anyone knows of a wiring diagram I can find on the internet or can peak under their intake manifold and pull back the sheath to let me know what the colors of the front sensors wires are and the rear id be eternally grateful.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&fg=15&hl=84

# 13 and # 15

My guess is that I wired something backwards and not that a brand new sensor is bad but weirder things have happened.
    97 m3,, e46 6 speed trans swap, running 3.38 rear diff for now, flashed, 1.25 inch drop on tckline set up, full supersprint exhaust, cai, vanos replaced, extensive maintence list -- my pride and joy, goes down to Watkins glen for track weekends twice a year,, 171k and counting, owned her since 52k, 2007
    98 m3 vert blue, dad s cruzer
    97 m3 vert green, dad s cruzer
    99 m3 5 speed bone stock and original recently overhalled cooling system, new front suspension overall, new rack and pinion, new clutch -- sisters car
    95 m3 5 speed, swapping s52 into it and replacing all major suspension bushings. overhauling interior, paint, black 10/94 before ews car -- very fun car
    96 m3 soon to be track rat -- cage, r compound tires, s52 to start, then supercharged, then s54 -- hopes and dreams but fun building her so far
    04 X5 -- 6 speed manual ,, my tow vehicle down to the glen and all year round kid car hauler

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe 04 X5
    Any help? Someone have a 95 m3 who can pop under their intake manifold and check for me ? Or find wiring diagram with colors for me? I plan on isolating the wiring for the gauge cluster and attaching that wire/plug to the sensor towards the firewall, so that will take the guessing out of things and I'll know which plug is my issue for the front dme sensor,

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Here is the 1995 BMW 3 series wiring diagram;

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe 04 X5
    Thank you for the link
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    Here is the 1995 BMW 3 series wiring diagram;

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf
    97 m3,, e46 6 speed trans swap, running 3.38 rear diff for now, flashed, 1.25 inch drop on tckline set up, full supersprint exhaust, cai, vanos replaced, extensive maintence list -- my pride and joy, goes down to Watkins glen for track weekends twice a year,, 171k and counting, owned her since 52k, 2007
    99 m3 5 speed bone stock and original recently overhalled cooling system, new front suspension overall, new rack and pinion, new clutch -- sisters car
    95 m3 5 speed, swapping s52 into it and replacing all major suspension bushings. overhauling interior, paint, black 10/94 before ews car -- very fun car
    96 m3 soon to be track rat -- cage, r compound tires, s52 to start, then supercharged, then s54 -- hopes and dreams but fun building her so far
    04 X5 -- 6 speed manual ,, my tow vehicle down to the glen and all year round kid car hauler

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe 04 X5
    Update: isolated the temp gauge plug and placed it on the rear black sensor so all set there. The front sensor for the dme, blue one is still popping the 4e code instantly. Like clear the code and start it and right back on. I pulled back my wiring and the colors are matched right to each other, red with white stripe and red with blue stripe ( I am color deficient however I can tell that the wires match up ). I then turned the key on and found 12v in the plug so I know there isn't a short up the line. So back to basics,,,, what else is a two prong plug near those plugs that I could have plugged into the wrong sensor? I tried switching the vanos plug and got a 07 code along with my 4e code which is a vanos code do I know that's plunged in correctly.,,,,, any other ideas or things I'm just missing around there that have two prong????

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Off the top of my head, the only other 2 wire plugs near the intake are the vanos, the air intake temp (under the intake) and the air intake sensor of some sort (plugs into the air box) ... btw, don't swap the vanos plug ... if you put +12V to the wrong pin, it could toast your vanos solenoid. Oil pressure is 2 pin plug, but only one wire.

Try swapping the temp sensor plugs ... they are both temp sensors, so if one is bad, at least you could see if it eliminates the code
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe 04 X5
    Thank you Scotch for the info, especially about the vanos seeing as that s not cheap.

Did some more reading and searching. the plug that I'm looking for shouldn't have 12v coming to it when the key is on.. After reading about an obd 1 wiring harness in a different post, I learned that it possibly has a blue mark on the wiring harness its self right below the plug. more importantly I should be seeing about 5 v coming from the harness. I will simply unplug 2 prong connectors until I find the plug that's providing the 5v.

Also to test the dme coolant temp sensor itself. It should be reading about 2 ohms when cold and 1.5 when hot at operational temp. So seeing numbers somewhere in between those two should let me know the sensor itself is good when testing it which I can do when its still in the head.

I will report back when I get a second to work on the car next

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    You're correct about the blue tape on the connector ... I forgot about that. Should be easy to find And yeah, the 12V is going to be for an actuator of some sort, with the other pin providing a ground signal from the DME to activate whatever it should plug into. I still think it's that intake/emissions solenoid ... small cylinder with a vac hose off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmachine101 View Post
    Thank you Scotch for the info, especially about the vanos seeing as that s not cheap.

Did some more reading and searching. the plug that I'm looking for shouldn't have 12v coming to it when the key is on.. After reading about an obd 1 wiring harness in a different post, I learned that it possibly has a blue mark on the wiring harness its self right below the plug. more importantly I should be seeing about 5 v coming from the harness. I will simply unplug 2 prong connectors until I find the plug that's providing the 5v.

Also to test the dme coolant temp sensor itself. It should be reading about 2 ohms when cold and 1.5 when hot at operational temp. So seeing numbers somewhere in between those two should let me know the sensor itself is good when testing it which I can do when its still in the head.

I will report back when I get a second to work on the car next
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe 04 X5
    Solution: Problem has been solved. Yes the connector with the blue tape at the end of it was plugged into my vanos. Once I removed it and tested it to find 5v coming from it, I knew I had found my dme coolant temp sensor plug. So plugged that in and fixed the wiring for the other plug in question. Verified that it had 12v coming to it when the wiring repair was complete and plugged it into the vanos. Re hooked the battery back up again and fired the car up to no check engine light and a smooth running vehicle. Problem solved. What I will say is that I did swap these plugs early on into the diagnosis process. What I did not check was that there was power coming to both plugs, which in the end there was not due to a broken wire in the plug that eventually ended up at the vanos. Once 12 v was restored and the plugs swapped, all good to go.

I did check the ohms resistance on the dme coolant sensor (blue one closest to the radiator ), It did read 1.5. My research had me 1.5 to 2 ohms so I wanted to take that variable out of the equation. New sensor but they are bad out of the box once in a great while.

Thank you for all your help, another problem solved and hopefully this thread will help someone in the future.