RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 328i running hot

My Cars
    1992 bmw 525 i

328i running hot

Hello all. I have an 09 328i and up until two days ago my thermostat has been right in the middle after warming up or a little below. Now it is right in the middle or a tiny bit above. When I say tiny I mean barely above the middle line. It's still worrying me and the car has been sitting for about 2 hours now and is still very warm. Can't check coolant level until tomorrow morning have to go to bed soon. Should I be concerned or am I freaking out for no reason? Ps it goes above the halfway mark when I'm accelerating fast but when I get to a red light it stops back in the middle and is fine if I drive normal. Should I stop driving like a dumb kid( I'm 24 very much a dumb kid) and racing every little 4 cylinder Honda that revs at me?

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by FlogBimmerGnaw View Post
    Hello all. I have an 09 328i and up until two days ago my thermostat has been right in the middle after warming up or a little below. Now it is right in the middle or a tiny bit above. When I say tiny I mean barely above the middle line. It's still worrying me and the car has been sitting for about 2 hours now and is still very warm. Can't check coolant level until tomorrow morning have to go to bed soon. Should I be concerned or am I freaking out for no reason? Ps it goes above the halfway mark when I'm accelerating fast but when I get to a red light it stops back in the middle and is fine if I drive normal. Should I stop driving like a dumb kid( I'm 24 very much a dumb kid) and racing every little 4 cylinder Honda that revs at me?
    If the temp is higher than it used to be under the same conditions, it makes sense that something has gone wrong. It also makes sense that you stopped stepping on it until you figure out what the cause is... you probably have a cooling system issue.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Generally speaking, the gauge should be rock-steady in the middle once warmed up. That's because the temperature gauge is buffered, so as not to freak people out with small movements. It also doesn't offer any precise information. Put a scan tool on the car and monitor operating temps when running and report them here. But yes, you likely have a problem with the cooling system and you will need to address it if you want to avoid potentially inconvenient or possibly even catastrophic problems.

And yes, stop driving like a dumb kid...on the street. Racing is great, but keep it on the track.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The water pump in your car is electric. I’m betting it’s going bad. If it is going bad you’ll need to replace it and the thermostat together.

Have you checked the coolant level. Read the owner’s manual to see how to check it.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'll bet the computers know what's going on. If you get the car connected to a good BMW specific diagnostic scan tool, you'll find out what they know.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It's is my understanding that it does not have a coolant temperature gauge?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Nope, another of those things, like a dipstick, that they thought we should live without. You might be able to pull up a special function in the cluster, I don't know. Personally, I just hook up a scan tool, and/or aim an infrared temp gun at the hoses. Still, the E90 sets codes for thermostat and water pump, always good to check.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471