Thread: FSU swap - really different looking new part!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6

FSU swap - really different looking new part!

My blower was exhibiting intermittent problems, and after checking the common causes, I decided to swap my FSU. When I pulled the old one, I was surprised to see it it looked totally different from the new unit. It was much beefier and had a metal case. I guess that's why it lasted almost 20 years before crapping out!

Is the new design less reliable? I bought it from FCP Euro, supposedly made by Rein, but the actual part says Sitronic.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    That's the current design. It has 39 fins on the heat sink.

Amazing that the old one lasted that long. I went through two of the old design in 15 years.

Stuff it in!
    Last edited by edjack; 06-20-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    I followed these excellent instructions:

http://www.540i6.com/finalstagereplacement.html

I tried different body positions to release the FSU. Working on my back didn't work. I finally sat in the seat and reached in with my right hand, pressing on the tab with my thumb while pulling on the connector with my fingers. That did the trick!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    I've always had to kneel on the floor beside the car to get the damn thing out!

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah the contortion is something you learn. I can pull an FSU in about 3 minutes now but only knowing exactly what it all feels like blind up in the hole from experience. Sometimes/often the connector is sticky and does't want to pop off...

There was an aftermarket FSU sold for a while that was more 'solid state' (ie instead of big resistors and heat sink it was some kind of semi-conductor - MOSFET probably) but that seems to have gone away although I haven't tried to look for it in a while. Seems like that should have always been what BMW used.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    The modern ones likely did high frequency PWM using MOSFETs. If done correctly, that produces much less heat but it does result in a bunch of electrical noise (radio interference), and the design has to done carefully to avoid voltage spikes from motor commutation killing the MOSFETs

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Wow, some real EE's here :-)

Yeah, the whole analog power resistor thing seems so outdated. A modern brushless motor and controller would do away with all that heat generating cruft.

My Cars
    5series M62B44
    I had a new style Meyle FSU melt in a week, I got my money back & did the forum noted repair on my original FSU with the jumper wire & resoldering it & it's been working for 6months again, 20years on the factory FSU Vs. 1week on a new one.

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by HoZy View Post
    I had a new style Meyle FSU melt in a week, I got my money back & did the forum noted repair on my original FSU with the jumper wire & resoldering it & it's been working for 6months again, 20years on the factory FSU Vs. 1week on a new one.
    Cheers
    Mat
    Mat,
    Cool that I didn't throw out my old one! Can you direct me to the site with the repair instructions?
    Thanks! Jim

My Cars
    5series M62B44
    Pic I managed to find on my phone of my repair,

Just have a google of E39 FSU SOLDER REPAIR or something along those lines.

FSU01.jpg

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by HoZy View Post
    Pic I managed to find on my phone of my repair,

Just have a google of E39 FSU SOLDER REPAIR or something along those lines.

FSU01.jpg

Cheers
    Mat
    Interesting.... I can see that quite a lot has been written on these little things! I didn't read all of the posts, but I found one by "cn90" that showed his fix looking like this:

Attachment 632371
    As you can see, it doesn't have the extra wire that yours has. What's the blue wire for?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 98OrientBlue View Post
    Interesting.... I can see that quite a lot has been written on these little things! I didn't read all of the posts, but I found one by "cn90" that showed his fix looking like this:

Attachment 632371
    As you can see, it doesn't have the extra wire that yours has. What's the blue wire for?
    Presumably that's a soldered wire to bypass the part of the circuit that failed.

Considering that it's not unheard of for the older FSUs to cause fires, I'd recommend just replacing it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    NEW-FSU.jpg
    Aaarrrggh.... back again! The new FSU went out already! I contacted FCP Euro, which offers a lifetime warranty and they assured me that my bad FSU is probably just a fluke, and that I should feel confident about ordering another Rein unit.

Now, for some reason, I just can't pull the bad FSU out. I obviously did this once before, so I thought it wouldn't be too hard to do again. But, try as I might, I can't seem to push the retaining clip down and simultaneously yank the FSU out.

I noticed that the new FSU has an extra hook on the back side of the base (see picture; highlighted in green). The original FSU has no such hook. Could that be causing the unit to get hung up? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    1. Rein tends to suck. I avoid.
    2. Yep. They can be sticky as I said way up above.
    3. Keep wiggling squeezing and janking on it.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    3. Keep wiggling squeezing and janking on it.
    GG, is #3 in reference to the hook I was asking about? In other words, there is no real elegant way to release that hook other than "janking"? ;-)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    +1 to "janking".... finally got the bugger out

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yep.

I did look up the Rein part and looks like its an OE "Sitronic" part so maybe its OK in this case... (Rein sources a lotta cheap parts that aren't OE but this one maybe is OK?)

But also look at my post about dielectric grease. Suggest you try some on the pins of the connector and re-try the one you have. This part is super sensitive to poor connections on its pins - I expect due to a combination of sensitivity to resistance + extreme heat cycling causing 'movement' on the connectors.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    1. Rein tends to suck. I avoid. .
    Rein = CRP - should be fine

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    Yep.

I did look up the Rein part and looks like its an OE "Sitronic" part so maybe its OK in this case... (Rein sources a lotta cheap parts that aren't OE but this one maybe is OK?)

But also look at my post about dielectric grease. Suggest you try some on the pins of the connector and re-try the one you have. This part is super sensitive to poor connections on its pins - I expect due to a combination of sensitivity to resistance + extreme heat cycling causing 'movement' on the connectors.
    Yes, the actual part does say "sitronic". I will get some dielectric grease. Thanks!

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    Oh, China. Can you not copy a German design that lasts 15 years to one that will last at least 5???

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    IMG_1682.JPGWell, 1 year later, the Rein FSU went bad. Since I bought it from FCPEuro, I guess I'll just keep replacing it. However, this time, I decided to pay up for the actual BMW part.

Much to my surprise, the official BMW part looks EXACTLY THE SAME as the "Rein" part, and in fact has the same exact label! The attached photo is from the Rein part that I pulled from my car and you can barely make it out that it actually says BMW under the black ink! The new part is the same as this one, but is just lacking the black ink.

What gives? Crazy. I paid 3x the price for the same part without the black ink. Sheesh. I'll see what FCP Euro has to say on Monday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigMphan View Post
    Oh, China. Can you not copy a German design that lasts 15 years to one that will last at least 5???
    The label says "MADE IN GERMANY"

My Cars
    None
    @98OrientBlue: did the BMW FSU work ok for you? Is it still functioning properly? I need to order a new FSU and deciding which "brand" to buy. Thanks.