Thread: stalling while driving turns back on/ stalling while stopped dead. PLEASE HELP

My Cars
    2005 bmw 325i 5 speed

Unhappy stalling while driving turns back on/ stalling while stopped dead. PLEASE HELP

Alright guise, I've only posted once before so I will do my best to provide as much info as possible.

I have a 3251 2005 5 speed 4 door bmw that keeps stalling on me. It used to happen about once a week now it happens once a day. If I'm on the highway and it stalls while driving i can usually switch into a lower gear hit the gas and she comes right back, but in limp dick mode(breaks and DSC). After this it starts to smell like burnt oil for a bit and the limp dick mode persists until i turn it off and restart it. If I'm at a red light and she decides to go, I'm pretty much stuck there and I either have to get her towed or if I can find a spot to leave her, I can come back a few hours later and she turns on again. I've gone to a few places and I've gotten a few different answers, one guy told me it was my crank shaft sensor, another dude said it was an electric problem (idk what that means), and another guy said it was something to do with my fuel pump.

Yesterday it stalled twice and I ended up leaving her at a gas station I was next to till today, when i went to start her up she was hesitant to turn over which has never happened before. I have never been stranded without gas and very rarely drive till the gas light is on. I live in Florida where its hot and humid AF, and usually in the mornings she starts off fine and makes it to the highway, when I've been on the highway for a few minutes and im cruising on 5th gear between 2.5-3rpm is usually when she dies then I just hop her to 4th hit the gas and jerks back to life...

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    It sounds like the fuel pump is going bad. It’s located on the passenger side (non-right hand drive cars) under the rear bottom seat cushion. You need to test the pump for pressure. Item #2 in the link is the cap for the test valve on the fuel rail. Pressure has to be at least 50psi at all engine speeds.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0900

Buy a new Siemens/VDO pump at fcpeuro. Do not put an el cheeeepo aftermarket pump in the car as it won’t last. Also, replace the fuel filter. It’s located under the car, inside the frame rail under the driver’s seat. It’s behind a metal panel. Install a Mahle or Keyser filter only. Why? The fuel filter includes the fuel pressure regulator.

My Cars
    2001 330i and 2005 330i
    You may not have run her dry but that doesn't mean the previous owner didn't. See if you can get the OBD codes read. That may help point the way. Any bimmer acting that funky should have codes. As Marco sez, see if you can check the fuel pressure. Don't forget to factor-in a clogged fuel filter. Casual owners never change those things.
    Johnny Murray

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Yep,
    a scan with a BMW diagnostic tool/software should reveal specific error codes.
    A generic scan tool is better than nothing, but can be misleading.

If available-connect a FPG to the fuel rail Schrader Valve,
    with a long enough hose that you can tape it to the windshield,
    so the gauge is viewable while you drive.
    Take note of readings when symptoms appear,post back with results.