Thread: 89 Vert Valance Question

My Cars
    1989 e30 325iC

89 Vert Valance Question

So I have been doing more research here than I care to admit, and while I think I have 90% of the info I need, the issue I'm running into is that most of the threads are old and therefore the products linked to are no long active listings. I am looking to add a late model bumper/valance to my 1989 Vert, will a part like this bolt right on:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-Fro...-/201700202251

additionally, if that one will not, what about this piece from ECS:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...331961227~brp/

This second one looks like it *may* bolt on but would likely need a bumped to pop on as well (like this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...111976134~brp/)

If not, could a kind soul direct me to a product that will work for this bolt-on swap?

Thanks for all of your help, and if I am grossly misunderstanding something here, feel free to correct me!

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    no go on the first one. you have to already have plastic bumpers to put that over.

the second link takes you to a page with tons of different bumpers so not sure which one you are talking about.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 e30 325iC
    Thanks for the heads up-- I have no idea what happened to the two links I copied, but for that first one-- I'd need to slot that one-piece over a already-converted plastic bumper? So the top part of that piece is not the bumper itself, but a bumper-cover of sorts?

I'm willing to swap to a plastic bumper, as that seems easy enough on the Cabrio's, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing a step here (sounds like I already was). Thanks again for any and all help!

EDIT: as a follow up, would I need to swap this type of bumper on before I could fit that ebay piece:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...hoCfH8QAvD_BwE
    Last edited by movet22; 06-21-2018 at 09:42 AM.

My Cars
    yes, that's a cover for a pre-existing bumper. you got it

I cannot open that link you added. it gives me an error but if its a stock bumper, than yes
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    I swear some day the metal bumper cars will be more desirable because so many have been stripped off and replaced! #savethemetal lol

My Cars
    e30s
    If you have a late model valance or not you can install european bumpers; it doesn't look bad at all but you will see some gapping in the front because of where metal is supposed to be there is metal missing due to the design of the NA version cars. Therefore it is ideal to install a late model valance or a Euro valance ending in 770 or 771/2 I believe if you have AC. The rear bumper bracket bolts up the the body differently so you will need to drill holes to mount them. keep in mind the bumper shocks on this set up are omitted. Not DMV approved. keep in mind also there are no cornering lights on the european bumpers front and rear. And you will also require to modify the plug for the turn signal up front as they don't double as a running light for the european version. I cut mine off and ordered me a set of 2 pronge plugs not the 3 pronge. They won't fit the turn signal lights.

Late model valance will also work with plastic bumper swap; here you will have the bumper shocks and it's a straight swap over with no modifications. You will NOT need to modify anything to change over to plastic except the rear plastic sliders that hold the sides of the bumper on. The body of the late model cars have metal brackets that can be cut off and mounted to your car. I believe that's it.

If I missed something please chim in or if something is inaccurate.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i Vert
    Can I jump into this thread? I’m wanting to attach the late model valance with metal euro style pumpers and keep the current bottom lip. However, I’m wondering if I was supposed to have gone with a different valance. Am I going in the right direction here? I am not looking to add any other spoilers, etc. I just want to replace my current valance with this one.

See current status here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA3DQOPj...=1mcqf49jtflr9

My Cars
    I cannot open the link
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i Vert
    Does this one work? I think I might have solved my own question. I’m pretty sure this only works for the plastic bumper. I need an older style valance.

EE111D98-07A5-4F67-8D04-1DE95E267A7E.jpg

My Cars
    that does look like a plastic bumper valance. is that your car in the back ground? that looks like the older valance on the car
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i Vert
    Yes. That is my car. I swapped my diving board bumpers for the euro chrome — which I prefer. I also ordered the valance you see on the ground thinking it was what I needed to complete the swap. Alas, that is the indeed the plastic bumper valance. Now I’ve ordered the correct one and will need to find a buyer for my “mistake.” It will not work with the chrome.

Nice recumbent, by the way.
    Last edited by elder30; 06-01-2020 at 11:46 AM.

My Cars
    thanks. that's my back up bike. its a lightning phantom. my replacement is a lightning p-38. both are super comfortable and great bikes. just the p-38 gets up to 40 easier. the phantom was terribly fast once I regeared it but the top speed was just not as fast as the p-38. stock gears, the p-38 will do 40 with a tailwind on the flats where the phantom was only reaching 37mph.

it should not be too hard to resell that valance. I am not sure what people would give you though, is the part that might be a bummer
    No e30s again.