Thread: Coupe rear hatch release

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3

Coupe rear hatch release

I've read about how the rear hatch release actuator tends to fail over time. I tried putting more tension on the metal piece with a slight bend, but lately, it's acting up again.

Can anyone tell me if replacing the actuator will make it work more consistently? Sometimes, I have to push the button four or five times to get the hatch to open. It's times like these that I wish it had a much simpler, mechanical lock, like an old fashioned trunk lock.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    I might be able to answer that question over the next couple of months. I've had a ton of fun with my hatch, which began when it simply refused to unlock with either the key or a button-push. A rather painful investigation (it involved crawling over the bulkhead and removing a lot of trim) revealed that a wee plastic bit of the locking mechanism had become embrittled and had broken. making it impossible for either the key or the actuator to open the hatch. I repaired the plastic bit (I really should write that up sometime), put it all back together, and all worked great - for a few months.

Now, it SOMETIMES opens with a button-push, and ALWAYS opens with the key.

Either the actuator is cranky, or my repair somehow occasionally gets misaligned. I figured it would be good to have the new actuator on hand regardless; so I just ordered one. When time permits, I'll take the whole mess apart again, and see what it'll take to fix it on

My Cars
    Several
    I gave up on the push button working with any reliability long ago and just open with key all the time. Works great, 100%. Forgot what I disconnected, but it's simple and removes the annoyance of push not working.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    I gave up on the push button working with any reliability long ago and just open with key all the time. Works great, 100%. Forgot what I disconnected, but it's simple and removes the annoyance of push not working.
    That's actually good to know- I think if I disconnect the actuator rod, it will prevent the push button from working, but if the key will mechanically open the hatch, then I'm not too worried. Thanks!