Thread: Deep OBD for BMW and VAG

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

Deep OBD for BMW and VAG

So the thing in the title is a thing. What that thing happens to be is a ported multi-platform Ediabas (multi-platform like android, or anything that can run mono like linux and apple).

Yes, as in INPA... for your phone!

Anyone used it yet? I hadn't seen it mentioned and Google didn't give me any forum results. Maybe I'm telling old news? But why am I excited???

This could mean I can see all my modules... with my phone. No need to muck around with windows or drag my laptop outside. Someone more familiar with INPA/Ediabas than me can maybe chime in on limitations??

But the biggest thing??? Bluetooth baby! It's possible to either get the 20-16 pin adapter or short your pins for the inside OBDII, then a modified bluetooth adapter and you got at least some INPA on you phone.... of course there is that MODIFIED part.... So that's the bad news. If you got a 2007 plus with D-CAN your golden. If like us you need K-line.... it's a bit more complicated. First you have to flash new firmware onto a Bluetooth adapter.... doable but over my head. Then for OUR cars you have to bridge some pins. Sound familiar? Doable... yes... Easy for average Joe? Maybe not so much.

But all is not lost, they claim you can use the plain ol' INPA cables. Just need a USB A adapter for your phone. Not sure how the drivers work on a phone, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. The INPA cables are in the mail, along with a USB adapter. I should have some updates Friday.

If I get it working, and it lives up to the hype, I might learn Bluetooth modifying. And if there is an interest I might make some for anyone interested. The guy explains how to BUILD your OWN Bluetooth from scratch... but that's WAY over my head right now.

Anyway, thought it was interesting, so I thought I'd share. Here's the link https://github.com/uholeschak/ediabaslib
    2001 740iL "Silver Beauty"
    1986 Porsche 951 "Silver Bullet"
    1987 Porsche 944 NA Auto (rebuilding for my son's first car)
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    So got my cable in and went out and hooked it all up. Deep OBD works like a charm on our cars!!!! I couldn't figure out how to work it for a bit, it's not exactly super intuitive, but after a few hours of playing around with it I got it more or less figured out.

Pros:

You can read every module on the car.
    You can read every setting, output, code and reading every module has. Stored info, live data, you name it.
    It has one screen that pulls every error code from every module and displays it in one easy to use place.
    Very customizable. Just see only what you want to see.

Cons:

Unless your really up on Ediabas (tool32) and German, the learning curve is quite large.
    When your setting up what to pull and display, there is nothing intuitive about what these sensor readings really mean. The author (I think) has tried to add info about what the reading are, but it's vague. And the names are vague and in German. Spent 4-5 hour translating German. Still really lost.
    Did I mention HUGE learning curve?
    Did I mention need to learn German??

I think this could be very cool tool to have. I mean, it reads EVERYTHING your car has to say about ANYTHING!!! But it's SOOOOOO much. I really feel it would be about 10x easier if I knew German, but even then,the outputs are super vague. And google is no help, I could find NOTHING about what these sensor readings mean.

However some were easy. Like displaying the Steering Wheel controls. 0 is off (false, not pressed) and 1 it on (true, pressed). I has having fun pushing buttons on the wheel and watching the numbers change. I'm easily amused. It was also kind of neat to see all the settings on the DSP. I mean, I know what they are, I set them, but it's cool to be able to read them from the computer.

And if you know xml, you can build your own custom ways of displaying the results. Even with graphics. But yeah, that's COMPLICATED. If anyone is interested I can do a write up of how to use it, and some of the things I've figured out about it.

Bottom line, you can't code with it, but you can read anything the car has to offer. Pretty cool to have on your phone really!

I meant to get screen shots, I'll do that next time and post some up. But here's my current errors. I had a lot more but I cleared them all, these are the ones that came back.

BM_WIDE:
    unknown error location,

IHKA38_3:
    AUC Sensor,

LCM_III:
    thermal Oelsensor defect,

MRS3:
    Zuendkreis ZK11 -&gt; Airbag passenger's level 2,

MRS3:
    Zuendkreis ZK3 -&gt; Airbag passenger,

VIDEO_GT: No response

I can go into the module's and get more info on some of these, but it's pretty vague. And the above are the apps attempts to translate the German. I've pulled the code text itself. Not super descriptive. The BM_wide code pretty much says "unknown fault", the LCM was complaining something overheated (cleared that code), and that it can't read a sensor anymore (Oil Sensor, that bit me in the a$$ just yesterday). MRS (airbags, restraints) is complaining about passenger airbag, I think the ZK11 and ZK2 tells me which sensor or airbag exactly, but I can't find that info online.
    IHKA38_3 is complaining about the aux pump I think. The module had more info.
    Last edited by 951Dreams; 06-23-2018 at 05:00 AM.
    https://home.doonze.net/filepage.php <- BMW/Porsche doc's and files, work in progress

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    BM_WIDE? Are you having any issues with your Nav monitor or radio? BM usually refers to the "board monitor"...as in the radio for the nav set-up is the BM53.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-23-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Thanks for posting this OP. I'm going to read up on this one good day. lol.

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by 951Dreams View Post
    So got my cable in and went out and hooked it all up. Deep OBD works like a charm on our cars!!!! I couldn't figure out how to work it for a bit, it's not exactly super intuitive, but after a few hours of playing around with it I got it more or less figured out.

Pros:

You can read every module on the car.
    You can read every setting, output, code and reading every module has. Stored info, live data, you name it.
    It has one screen that pulls every error code from every module and displays it in one easy to use place.
    Very customizable. Just see only what you want to see.

Cons:

Unless your really up on Ediabas (tool32) and German, the learning curve is quite large.
    When your setting up what to pull and display, there is nothing intuitive about what these sensor readings really mean. The author (I think) has tried to add info about what the reading are, but it's vague. And the names are vague and in German. Spent 4-5 hour translating German. Still really lost.
    Did I mention HUGE learning curve?
    Did I mention need to learn German??

I think this could be very cool tool to have. I mean, it reads EVERYTHING your car has to say about ANYTHING!!! But it's SOOOOOO much. I really feel it would be about 10x easier if I knew German, but even then,the outputs are super vague. And google is no help, I could find NOTHING about what these sensor readings mean.

However some were easy. Like displaying the Steering Wheel controls. 0 is off (false, not pressed) and 1 it on (true, pressed). I has having fun pushing buttons on the wheel and watching the numbers change. I'm easily amused. It was also kind of neat to see all the settings on the DSP. I mean, I know what they are, I set them, but it's cool to be able to read them from the computer.

And if you know xml, you can build your own custom ways of displaying the results. Even with graphics. But yeah, that's COMPLICATED. If anyone is interested I can do a write up of how to use it, and some of the things I've figured out about it.

Bottom line, you can't code with it, but you can read anything the car has to offer. Pretty cool to have on your phone really!

I meant to get screen shots, I'll do that next time and post some up. But here's my current errors. I had a lot more but I cleared them all, these are the ones that came back.

BM_WIDE:
    unknown error location,

IHKA38_3:
    AUC Sensor,

LCM_III:
    thermal Oelsensor defect,

MRS3:
    Zuendkreis ZK11 -&gt; Airbag passenger's level 2,

MRS3:
    Zuendkreis ZK3 -&gt; Airbag passenger,

VIDEO_GT: No response

I can go into the module's and get more info on some of these, but it's pretty vague. And the above are the apps attempts to translate the German. I've pulled the code text itself. Not super descriptive. The BM_wide code pretty much says "unknown fault", the LCM was complaining something overheated (cleared that code), and that it can't read a sensor anymore (Oil Sensor, that bit me in the a$$ just yesterday). MRS (airbags, restraints) is complaining about passenger airbag, I think the ZK11 and ZK2 tells me which sensor or airbag exactly, but I can't find that info online.
    IHKA38_3 is complaining about the aux pump I think. The module had more info.
    Dont you have your airbag checklight on with those errors?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    BM_WIDE? Are you having any issues with your Nav monitor or radio? BM usually refers to the "board monitor"...as in the radio for the nav set-up is the BM53.
    No, not that I can tell. But you are correct, BM_Wide is my wide screen NAV monitor unit. The "unknown location" mean INPA/Tool32 doesn't have a "message" for the code. I guess it happens, they missed some codes in the software.

Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Dont you have your airbag checklight on with those errors?
    Yep, those are the errors. Tool32 is kinda vague about these, really not telling me a whole lot about what it's problem is. I haven't yet done a deep search on them. I'm working on it.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    I've been trying to figure out how to install it forever.
    Would appreciate any help.

I follow this guide to install it on my phone
    https://xtrons.ibus-app.de/index.php...g_und_Download

I get stuck at this step

Copy the "Configurations" folder from the download archive to a USB stick/SD card and use it to go to the Android radio/tablet/mobile phone on which the app is set up.
    Use the file manager (or similar) to search for the folder: ...Android/data/de.holeschak.bmw_deep_obd/files/ [either internal folder or SD card, if in doubt both!]

I dont have these folders, Android/data/de.holeschak.bmw_deep_obd/files

When I go to Android/data/, the data folder is empty

My Cars
    bmw
    hi,
    i bought the adapter 20 days ago.
    1- I connected to deep odb apk in the first place. (on android phone) the result is 100%.
    2-I was connected to Carly and Carista. result : 100%.
    3-I couldn't provide a full connection in ISTA ,INPA and Bmw standard tools programs at first, and I immediately wrote to the seller from which I bought the product, and the seller immediately replied to me. A really great person explained to me how it should be and I made all the connections without any hassle, that's all. now it's working perfectly. As far as I watched, I saw that it is faster than enet and k dcan (my cars are E series and F series) cables. result : 100%.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255937877...IAAOSwdGFYsvli

My Cars
    bmw
    Have you followed all details of:
    https://github.com/uholeschak/ediabaslib/blob/master/docs/Replacement_firmware_for_ELM327.md#programming-elm327-adapter-with-deep-obd-firmware

My Cars
    1974 2002
    Can you describe how you were able to make connection with inpa and ista?